Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet

Comments

• Reply 41 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Parkettpolitur View Post

Yes, but at least one that's decently big. Why couldn't Apple put a 4+" screen with 720p in there? The Nexus Prime will have it; Apple could have stolen Google's & Samsung's thunder, but no...

if I want a bigger screen I use the iPad...it is a phone not a TV.
  • Reply 42 of 244
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

D: 0.81mm smaller

Looking at my works SGII, 0.81mm smaller, except for the bulge at the bottom and the lens surround!
  • Reply 43 of 244
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacobo007 View Post

Decently big? If you think a bigger screen is better that is your opinion, a lot of people agree and many others disagree...Apple disagrees as well.

+1

I just don't understand why people want bigger phones!? As far as I'm concerned the iPhone is perfect, after I got used to it. At first, I even thought it was a bit on the big side.

Android 4G phones HAVE to be bigger... current LTE chipsets take up much more room and they suck down more power - they need bigger batteries. People like to accuse Apple of "marketing", and yet here are the OEMs and carriers telling people what a great feature it is to have a bigger screen, when in reality these 4G phones need to be bigger anyway.
  • Reply 44 of 244
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Phones like the SGSII are still pocketable.

SGSII

125.3 x 66.1 x 8.49mm

iPhone 4/4s:

115.2 x 58.7 x 9.3mm

Difference:

L: 10.1mm larger

W: 7.4mm larger

D: 0.81mm smaller

If that difference really does stop these large phones from being pocketable, I'd invest in clothes that actually fit.

How thick is the bulge at the bottom of the Galaxy S2?

Why don't you buy a galaxy S 2 and put a video of you pushing it through an 8.5mm slot on YouTube. (Hint you may need a hammer.)
  • Reply 45 of 244
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

ROFL! Are you really equating smartphone screen size with penile inadequacy?

The lengths some of you lot will go to to defend the 3.5 inch screen on the iPhone is laughable.

We're not defending the iPhone's screen size... We just don't understand why people want bigger PHONES!? If Apple thought it was possible (or it made a big enough difference) to put a larger screen in the iPhone without affecting the overall size of the device, they would've done it already.

A larger iPod touch, yeah, I can see that, it's not something you're going to carry around with you all the time. But a phone is something people ALWAYS have with them.
  • Reply 46 of 244
    This spec stuff is all a red herring. The iPhone 4 is still the best selling smartphone no matter how out-specced people claim it to be. The iMac is the biggest selling desktop in the US despite being out-specced by others. And so on.

People are not bothered about specifications. They really aren't.
  • Reply 47 of 244
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Agree, 4+ edge-to-edge screen and 720p would have been a killer feature.

I am really tired of 3.5" display of my iPhone 4, so much real estate wasted on the bezel and useless home button.

Now all these Androids coming out with HD screens will make me jealous for at least 12 more months before iPhone-5 (6?) arrives.

Why wait LG has already announced one:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_lu6200-4188.php
  • Reply 48 of 244
    In fact iPhone can be used as remote control in particular for Samsung TVs. See http://itunes.apple.com/at/app/samsu...359580639?mt=8

Maybe they mean something different.
  • Reply 49 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

How thick is the bulge at the bottom of the Galaxy S2?

Why don't you buy a galaxy S 2 and put a video of you pushing it through an 8.5mm slot on YouTube. (Hint you may need a hammer.)

So it's the epic bulge that makes it unpocketable? Those aren't my measurements, just some I got off of a site FYI.

Pedanticalness' aside, the point still stands. It fits in a pocket quite easily unless I'm missing something?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

We're not defending the iPhone's screen size... We just don't understand why people want bigger PHONES!? If Apple thought it was possible (or it made a big enough difference) to put a larger screen in the iPhone without affecting the overall size of the device, they would've done it already.

A larger iPod touch, yeah, I can see that, it's not something you're going to carry around with you all the time. But a phone is something people ALWAYS have with them.

Your post does nothing to address this crap:

Quote:

Are Android users trying to compensate for something? Such as in other certain areas in which they are perhaps lacking in?

That above is possibly the lamest excuse to justify the 3.5 inch iPhone screen. Do you not agree with that at all?
  • Reply 50 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

Now that it looks like the iPhone 4S has the underdog status in light of the new "sleeker" models of Android devices that will soon flood the market, the question is will one or two Android device/s finally best the iPhone as the most popular smartphone on the planet? If not, then this will obviosuly be a very huge psychological win for Apple.

Oh wait..the antiquated iPhone 4 (yes the grampa iPHONE 4) is still outselling every newer model Android device on Verizon and ATT.

I'll wait until New Year 2011 and Chinese Spring Holiday 2012 before I make a call.

By the way, what is America, mommy?
  • Reply 51 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Age maybe? When you hit 60+ like newbee does you will understand. I lean toward 4.3" LG Optimus 2 because of my eyesight as well.

There are only so many things you could do before you need a bigger screen.

If newbee is still around and arthritis hasn't take his hands away, he might admit he has already abandoned iPhone and use iPad to post to us. And now he has a small backpack with him whenever he goes.
  • Reply 52 of 244
    Quote:

So it's the epic bulge that makes it unpocketable? Those aren't my measurements, just some I got off of a site FYI.

Pedanticalness' aside, the point still stands. It fits in a pocket quite easily unless I'm missing something?

Your post does nothing to address this crap:

That above is possibly the lamest excuse to justify the 3.5 inch iPhone screen. Do you not agree with that at all?

Sure, it'll fit in most pockets. But I think most people would find it obtrusive.
  • Reply 53 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

Sure, it'll fit in most pockets. But I think most people would find it obtrusive.

Buy a man purse!
  • Reply 54 of 244
    1swift1swift Posts: 23member
    This was somewhat petty. Almost as petty as apple claiming other phones had the same 'deathgrip' problem the 4 had at launch...

Honestly its perfectly suitable for Samsung to feel their product is superior, but you look like you're scared when you do this and cant even bother to highlight something when another product is superior. (as have been shown in many previous posts the 4S wins a handful of these categories outright like resolution and exterior camera button, and some are jokes...see Gingerbread and remote control)
  • Reply 55 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

It's the software, stupid.

It's the gigahertzs and the megapixels and the gigawatts.
  • Reply 56 of 244
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Its a shame that such a well specified piece of hardware has to run Android, Samsung should take a leaf out of Amazons book and fork their own version and replace all of the interfaces with their own look and feel so that all of the OS is uniform (just try to be original and not copy the iPhone). The S2 is certainly slimmer apart from the camera and bottom which make it 9.5mm thick but you can't help wonder how thin the iPhone would be if it were taller and wider like the S2.

The HD version of the S2 has a 326 dpi display and looks cracking, maybe Samsung should have bought Palm a year ago.
  • Reply 57 of 244
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doctor David View Post

I take it these people whom find it obtrusive are also against wallets too as they're normally thicker and wider than both the iPhone and SGSII?

I think people here are being deliberately obtuse to support their flawed arguements but given the audience, I should expect this.
  • Reply 58 of 244
    hjbhjb Posts: 278member
    [/QUOTE]

Samsung takes stab at iPhone 4S with Galaxy S II comparison sheet

[/QUOTE]

Real stab might begin in France and Italy soon. It is already in the news
  • Reply 59 of 244
    hakimehakime Posts: 42member
    Let's take that in order:

- processor -> Samsung is forgetting to tell us that the A5 in the iPhone 4S blows way the Galaxy S II in 3D performance. This is just not comparable...

- 4G? -> Well Samsung is forgetting us to tell us that this is basically useless given the low coverage right now, and oh!, what about your battery being sucked up when the user use 4G? That's why maybe you need to do refrigerator smartphones....you need biiiiiiiiig batteries.

- Super AMOLED -> Yeah Samsung great, it just that I can't see much on your screens when I use them outside. Plus why the hell do your screens degrade so fast???

- Screen Size -> Oops, Samsung just forgot to say us that the iPhone 4S has 46% more pixels.....

- Cameras -> You can be sure that the iPhone 4S rear camera is way better, but Samsung of course does not tell you that. It instead says that the front camera of the Galaxy S II is better, which nobody cares particularly when Samsung phones don't have something as good as FaceTime.

- 1080p high profile -> What? Give me a break....

- Photo/Video editing -> Yes sure, try to find a iMovie class video editor or even a simple good one on Android, they all suck....

- Weight -> Samsung, you know, cheap and crappy plastic weights less than glass and stainless steel. Which means that the iPhone 4S weights a little bit more than the Galaxy S II but at least it looks and feels in the hand damn good...

- Dimensions -> Samsung, you did it again... Your phone is not thinner, you've lost the case on the question in UK. You've lost, just let it go.

- Removable battery -> For what, is that because your battery sucks so much that the user needs to replace them often.

- Voice activation -> Wait, is Samsung comparing Vlingo to Siri? Crazy you Samsung....

- Content Store -> It just happened that the App Store is the best store out there, period. But Samsung wants you to know that on its phones, you have the choice of multiple stores selling you malwares....

- Syncing -> iTunes Software requires with the iPhone 4S, you screwed it up Samsung. You forgot that iOS 5 supports wireless syncing and oh, how it comes you forgot that your phones lack something as awesome as iCloud?

- Use of smartphone as HDTV remote control -> wait, a remote control? You are out of your mind, its 21st century, the iPhone 4s does Airplay, and it is just awesome...

- Carrier availability -> Right no T-Mobile, but yeah you need to be on all of them to hope to sell a fraction of the number of iPhones that Apple sell.

- OS -> Latest version of Gingerbread? Are we talking about the same old and retarded OS? Come on, you can't be serious, I mean, you've got on the other side iOS 5, how a hell you came to compare Gingerbread with iOS 5?

- Memory -> No external storage on the iPhone 4S? So what? You need anyway expensive external storage to match the storage available in the iPhone 4S something that people don't really do once they bought you crappy phones. And oh by the way, you forgot to say that your phones don't support 64 GB of storage.... whatever the external storage supported by your phone.

- pricing ->No memory limitation? What? Where? How? Of course you have because if a user wants to match the same storage of the iPhone 4S, they need to pay more for a final price slightly cheaper than the iPhone with comparable storage. But you don't get the build quality, the faster graphics, iOS 5, and the list is veryyyyyyy long.
  • Reply 60 of 244
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Very disappointed. I need to upgrade my phone soon and was waiting to see the iPhone 5. I'm not that bothered about screen resolution but I do want a larger screeen. Sadly for an Apple fan like me the Samsung Galaxy is looking very tempting right now.