Apple rival Samsung honors Steve Jobs amid legal battle

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Business can be like sports. Adversaries in the ring. Drinking, fishing buddies elsewhere. Or simply mutual respect.

Honour. Respect. Something younger Americans and Canadians cannot get their head around.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Samsung it´s an insolent copycat. Pirates!! it´s too obvious, they only shows that today anyone can copy and be succesful on the shoulders of others
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Personally, I think that it is the end of an era for personal computers. Apple is probably going to be changing as they lose input from the man who restored their focus on what made them great. Hopefully he instilled enough of his sense into Apple and its leaders to continue what he has done through leadership since his return.

So they day of having your own database in your own office and personal computer is gone as well? Like, everything from filing cabinets and big hard disks with annual backup?
  • Reply 44 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Then why did you let Korens ruffle your feathers this much? You don't sound like someone proud and confident.

My feathers aren't ruffled in the slightest. I love Korea, and I love the Korean people. It is a wonderful country, but is not without it's faults - just like everywhere else. As for your comment on my pride and confidence - these things have nothing to do with the content of my post. I'm not here to argue or make personal attacks.
  • Reply 45 of 56
    Well I'm sure they're not gonna copy Apple on this one. Sadly...
  • Reply 46 of 56
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Coluch View Post

The two users commenting in defense of Samsung ("whatsupx" and "845032") are both clearly Koreans (telltale konglish), and posting for their first time here. I know Korea well, and I know that Samsung is regarded by many as the best company to work for, and is even a source of national pride. For that matter, everything is a source of national pride in SK. They are more nationalistic than the USA, but Samsung is a genuine world leader, so don't you dare say anything bad about them. If you do, you are saying something bad about Korea, and Korea is perfect.

To you Koreans, Americans, Brits, Canadians, Australians, Japanese, all others - none of you are "the best". We are all part of the whole. To think of us as separate is no longer possible without being severely misinformed or delusional. As they say in Austin Powers, there aren't Countries anymore, just corporations (and people).

I do believe that the Samsung letter was genuine, but I also believe that it would be naive to ignore the PR implications. This is a calculated response that will probably make little tangible difference in the short term, or in the litigation with Apple, but will be useful in the future when Samsung is posturing itself in a good light.

Not many people know the term "konglish". You are clearly Korean.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,908member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Havoc7 View Post

Having some limited experience with Korean culture I think Samsung's sentiment is probably genuine. In spite of the current state of affairs in US politics, there are still those out there who can respect and honor their opponents.

My limited experience with Korean culture on the other hand is that no matter how good friends you think you are with a Korean person, his countryman always comes ahead of you.

"Hey Kim, did you bring your course notes from last term that you offered to lend to me?"

"Oh I was going to bring it today but this morning Park called and asked to borrow it. So I gave it to him instead."

I bet my experience is not unique.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Quote:

Honour. Respect. Something younger Americans and Canadians cannot get their head around.

I don't know about that. Leaving a discussion of US policy aside, there are thousands of young Americans volunteering all over the world in a sincere effort to help less fortunate people. Again, leaving US policy aside, there are thousands of young Americans fighting and dying around the world for causes that go way beyond personal gain.

Presumably you're from Thailand. I don't see any Thai people doing what these young men and women are doing.

I think if you can truly wrap your head around Honour and Respect, you wouldn't say such stupid things.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Wow. Some of the comments here.

Some of you obviously don't get the concept that business is business and that businessmen can be competitors while still being human and feeling empathy for their competitors.

Some of the best statements I've read were from Steve's competitors. Read the comments from Bill Gates. Read the comments from Larry Page and Sergei Brin. Some of the most fawning praise for SJ has come from Eric Schmidt in interview after interview despite the false accusations about him "stealing" the iPhone (people forget the part how he excused himself at every meeting about the iPhone). It's notable that Page thanks Steve for his mentorship and advice when he became CEO of Google this year despite being very ill. All this, while Android was competing hard with iOS and fanboys were engaging in flamewars. Clearly Steve has more class, congeniality and appreciation for talent (wherever it comes from) than most of his fans.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    I will ask one more time.

Can we all resist the temptation to criticize, flame and otherwise antagonize each other in a thread about someone honoring Steve Jobs?

Surely we can all give this a rest for a day or two?
  • Reply 51 of 56
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tundraboy View Post

My limited experience with Korean culture on the other hand is that no matter how good friends you think you are with a Korean person, his countryman always comes ahead of you.

"Hey Kim, did you bring your course notes from last term that you offered to lend to me?"

"Oh I was going to bring it today but this morning Park called and asked to borrow it. So I gave it to him instead."

Quote:

I don't know about that. Leaving a discussion of US policy aside, there are thousands of young Americans volunteering all over the world in a sincere effort to help less fortunate people. Again, leaving US policy aside, there are thousands of young Americans fighting and dying around the world for causes that go way beyond personal gain.

Presumably you're from Thailand. I don't see any Thai people doing what these young men and women are doing.

I think if you can truly wrap your head around Honour and Respect, you wouldn't say such stupid things.

I am a Canadian serviceperson and I personally think this is a weak attempt at justifying your utterly racist claptrap.

You may not like Samsung. You may not like that they compete with Apple. But none of that should be an indictment of the Korean people.

For all your fanboyism, you can't emulate the one quality that Steve Jobs had, his understanding that people all over the world have the same wants and needs. He didn't make iPhones and iPads just for Americans. He made them for everybody. He didn't care about culture, religion, race, skin colour.

As far as I'm concerned there's only one race: the Human Race. I'll bet money that Steve was a lot closer to my viewpoint than yours.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I am a Canadian serviceperson and I personally think this is a weak attempt at justifying your utterly racist claptrap.

You may not like Samsung. You may not like that they compete with Apple. But none of that should be an indictment of the Korean people.

For all your fanboyism, you can't emulate the one quality that Steve Jobs had, his understanding that people all over the world have the same wants and needs. He didn't make iPhones and iPads just for Americans. He made them for everybody. He didn't care about culture, religion, race, skin colour.

As far as I'm concerned there's only one race: the Human Race. I'll bet money that Steve was a lot closer to my viewpoint than yours.

Political Correctness died years ago. I try not to be a racist, but if I get treated differently or insulted because of my race or nationality, I'm not taking it sitting down.

Oh and by the way, where's you're post chastising the guy who made the original blanket insult about American and Canadian youth? I daresay you chastised me but not him because you think I'm white.

If you must know, I am not white, I'm Asian. Suddenly your mental calculus changes, doesn't it?

But yes, I will admit my posts were in the wrong time and place and I apologize to all other posters so I will stop pursuing this thread as of right now.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:

But yes, I will admit my posts were in the wrong time and place and I apologize to all other posters so I will stop pursuing this thread as of right now.

Good of you to make this admission. Hopefully, we will all move on and allow this thread to close in peace.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Quote:

So they day of having your own database in your own office and personal computer is gone as well? Like, everything from filing cabinets and big hard disks with annual backup?

Not in that sense, more in the sense of making changes to a machine that make you wonder why it was not done that way before. In the last few years they did not turn the world of the personal computer on its head as they refined it in ways that just made sense. I am worried that this will change if the vision from the top is not there.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    @ the maturity in this thread.

sorry but the way i see it, people the majority of you people are disrespecting steve jobs. you people (you know who you are) are disgusting.

and on the note of copying/stealing apple isn't exactly clean either. looking at the latest ios 5.

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news...d-lock-screen/

Quote:

maybe your korean friend just didn't like you much. like you i'm asian as well (chinese specifically) but my korean friends (like the ones that come from korea and not born and raised in a western country like myself) give me things on a first come first serve basis. much like your situation.

but hey it's not just koreans that do that. chinese, japanese do it too. maybe you just aren't mixing with very good people.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cloudsymph View Post

@ the maturity in this thread.

sorry but the way i see it, people the majority of you people are disrespecting steve jobs. you people (you know who you are) are disgusting.

That is, of course, absurd.

Some people think that Samsung and Google are not sincere. Expressing that view is not the least bit disrespectful of Jobs.