Steve Jobs: a lifetime of visionary disruption in advancing technology

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler

?Im am [sic] just speaking the truth??

You are just saying what you believe to be the truth (which is a disputed matter to say the least).

Quote:

??and it needs to be said.?

No, it?s what you want to say.

_

I was glad to learn the Steve Jobs had studied calligraphy and that it motivated him to bring multiple fonts to the first Mac, as I love calligraphy and practice it a little.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Eh, you will blink out of the existence at the end of your days and like all of us in the long run you will be nothing at all to the universe.

All evidence points to that...no evidence points to anything divine in this universe.

For our short times here some of us are great some of us are not some of us are horrible beings...and in the grand scheme of things all of us are meaningless.

Seek meaning in the here and now, among your loved ones, among your peers, among your species.

Steve did all that...and by all standards of what life probably truly is, Steve lived well.

Yes he won't be looking down from the stars, he won't be looking anywhere. He won't be thinking, he won't be anything. He is gone. And deep down I think our entire species knows this to be true. Hence why we mourn death, why we fear death (intrinsically but such an instinct can be worn away) and why we try and protect those we love from things that can hurt them.

Our most precious commodity is time, and we all have a limited supply that fluctuates (in the grand scheme) between a blink and a blink and a half. Do what you can with your short time here, love but don't hurt, laugh, cry, simply Be.

Steve was, and Steve (by all accounts) was a great man. He will be remembered throughout the generations as such a thing, and at the heat death of the universe he, like you or me, will essentially have never existed...

But he was. And he was great. And as long as I can that's what I'll remember.

RIP.

The Bible is evidence enough. In it is says that even all creation speaks of his existence. You are just to blind to see it or to accept it. He was just a man, and he recognized that all must eventually die (he is not the first to state this... should look at what Solomon, the wisest man known on earth, says about this - which is funny because Solomon also said there is nothing new under the sun and EVERYTHING is meaningless unless it is for Christ and God's glory... go figure). What he failed to recognize is why we must die. We must die because we have broken God's commandments. Except those that have accepted the gift that Christ stood in our place to take God's full wrath.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

Be that as it may, there is a very good chance Steve Jobs did not go to heaven.

Yep. But according to the bible, he'll get another shot at it in the second resurrection.

Revelation 20:5

That is if you can believe what it says.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,584member
    Quote:

I dont ultimately know if he went to heaven or not, but you can get a very good idea by a person's fruit (they way they lived and what they believe). Unless he rescinded his belief system (Buddhism) and accepted Christ before he died, he has no chance. If he accepted Christ on his deathbed, then he would be exactly like the thief on the cross next to Jesus. Be that as it may, there is a very good chance Steve Jobs did not go to heaven.

You seem to passionately believe a lot of stuff written in a book about talking donkeys and creation myth. The story of Jesus was simply an updated, curated version of previous half-man/half-god stories that included a dozen followers, death/resurrection myth, magic miracles, and described how people should live if they want to be rewarded in some future fantasy utopian existence.

Steve Jobs lived by looking at how he could apply real world ideas to improve the environment around him, snowballing his own talents by working with some of the world's most talented people, encouraging them to excel and produce their finest work. Steve Jobs lived in heaven.

I don't know how you live, but plenty of devoutly religious people deny themselves and those around them pleasure, happiness and accomplishment because they're focused on a phony fantasy of a hereafter that was only invented to keep the lower classes in line and subservient to those holding wealth and power.

Jobs amassed extreme wealth and power, but did so by making great products, not by restricting and taking unfair advantage of others. He even worked to make overseas suppliers take better care of their employees, imposed minimum standards far above those used to build Androids and PCs, all just because it was the right thing to do.

Steve Jobs didn't need a heaven delusion to strive for while he denied himself a real life now. He created heaven around himself during the time he was alive. He made people happy. He enjoyed life. He left behind an amazing legacy.

So drag your bigoted small mind through the rest of your days waiting for some magical repositioning in "heaven," while the rest of us rational people live while we are alive. How long will a fantasy that involves strumming a harp on a cloud keep your soul busy? There is no joy in existence that is meaningless and which has no impact on the world. Heaven makes no sense if you think about it.

And really, if your fantasy heaven is is about playing music in the clouds, Jobs will live on in iCloud doing just that, something he worked to do since, as the article notes, returning to Apple in 1997.

Ecc 9:10 "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the grave, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom."
  • Reply 25 of 34
    I have followed Steve for years. I had his first Apple II in 1977-78. The first Macintosh computer 1984...Have had many of his Desktops as well as his Notebooks. Have owned every iPod Apple ever made. From Wifi to iTV to my iPhones, Apple has made a mark on my and my family's life.

Thank you Steve, you will be missed. My prayers go out to his wife, children and the Apple Family...
  • Reply 26 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Steven Paul Jobs struggled with cancer and related health complications in a battle he sadly could not overcome,

It's worth pointing out that Steve had Pancreatic Cancer, which even in its mildest form is 99% terminal and in like 95% of those cases that's in the first year. Only something like .5% of folks actually make it past 4 years.

Steve was basically on his death bed the whole time. Many might have given up the moment they heard the odds. He didn't. He had work to do. And he fought the good fight and gave us almost 5 years. And that is the part of Steve that I will remember. THe part that listened to folks say "you won't live longer than a year", "your company will go bankrupt if you don't license your software", "You can't make a phone that sells", "opening your own stores will be a total disaster" and so on and basically said "F You. Yes I can." And did.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    And with that I mark this thread (and a few of its posters) as ignored. This is not a place for religious debate or denigration. If you want to do that, there are hundreds of boards to do it. I'm sure the Westboro Baptist Church would welcome you with open arms since they too seem to think Steve Jobs is burning in hell etc.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webweasel View Post

Beautiful words to live by. Whilst I was reading them I was listening to the radio. They were playing Fairport Convention's 'Who Knows Where The Time Goes' in memory of Bert Jansch who died yesterday. It was wonderfully apposite.

RIP, Steve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2xODjbfYw8

That's interesting, because Bert Jansch was not in Fairport Convention - he was in Pentangle. It's nice anyway to celebrate him.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Great article, but OO goes much further back than Xerox PARC. They can't actually take credit for everything. But you can argue that Alan Kay appreciated OO in the way that Jobs appreciated the work of PARC.

The original OO language was Simula. But Kay goes back even further being influenced by a system on the Burroughs B220, and then being a student of the legendary Bob Barton who was the designer of the Burroughs B5000, which is the machine with the most incredible 'think different' machine architecture ever. Way before Apple, the B5000 integrated hardware and software.

Kay's entire history of Smalltalk is in:

http://www.smalltalk.org/smalltalk/T...alltalk_I.html

and more background explanations in an email:

http://userpage.fu-berlin.de/~ram/pu...doc_kay_oop_en

Well, that pretty much mentions my three computing heroes in one post, Bob Barton, Alan Kay, and Steve Jobs - all different thinkers.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    ijoynerijoyner Posts: 135member
    Quote:

Steve, by human measure, did many great things. He will no doubt be remembered for many generations in history books and many people will write honoring articles about him. However, being a Buddhist, he did not recognize his need for a savior, Jesus, and will not be in heaven. We live in a pluralistic and relativist society, where we often hear, "what is right for you is right for you and what is right for me is right for me". It does not pain me to say this: there is only 1 afterlife and where you spend it is dependent upon the acceptance of being a sinner and thereby accepting that Christ died for our sins. That is what saddens me most about his death, is that he will not be in heaven. Im not trying to be disrespectful or put a downer on things: Im am just speaking the truth and it needs to be said.

And who are you to judge? Take the log out of your own eye first.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Another article elsewhere cited the Whole Earth Catalog as one of Jobs' philosophical sources, definitely interesting to look at some of the early editions online and see some similarities.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Post your Tribute photos, videos, etc. about Steve.

Remembering Steve Jobs

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=133651
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

The Bible is evidence enough. In it is says that even all creation speaks of his existence. You are just to blind to see it or to accept it. He was just a man, and he recognized that all must eventually die (he is not the first to state this... should look at what Solomon, the wisest man known on earth, says about this - which is funny because Solomon also said there is nothing new under the sun and EVERYTHING is meaningless unless it is for Christ and God's glory... go figure). What he failed to recognize is why we must die. We must die because we have broken God's commandments. Except those that have accepted the gift that Christ stood in our place to take God's full wrath.

Quote:

I dont ultimately know if he went to heaven or not, but you can get a very good idea by a person's fruit (they way they lived and what they believe). Unless he rescinded his belief system (Buddhism) and accepted Christ before he died, he has no chance. If he accepted Christ on his deathbed, then he would be exactly like the thief on the cross next to Jesus. Be that as it may, there is a very good chance Steve Jobs did not go to heaven.

Quote:

Steve, by human measure, did many great things. He will no doubt be remembered for many generations in history books and many people will write honoring articles about him. However, being a Buddhist, he did not recognize his need for a savior, Jesus, and will not be in heaven. We live in a pluralistic and relativist society, where we often hear, "what is right for you is right for you and what is right for me is right for me". It does not pain me to say this: there is only 1 afterlife and where you spend it is dependent upon the acceptance of being a sinner and thereby accepting that Christ died for our sins. That is what saddens me most about his death, is that he will not be in heaven. Im not trying to be disrespectful or put a downer on things: Im am just speaking the truth and it needs to be said.

Steve Jobs - "Don't be trapped by dogma ? which is living with the results of other people's thinking."
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Long path plays a vital role in managing, renaming and deleting files. http://longpathtool.com/