Apple rivals, partners & press pay tribute to Steve Jobs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    The bickering ends now. Both sides are rendered foolish in an argument where there is no correct answer.

Please drop this.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stayfoolish View Post

I've lurked here for several years making AA a part of my daily morning (and whenever I had the chance) read. I read informative posts from veteran members, insightful notes from transient, infrequent posters and typical bullhonkey from trolls. It's what made it all a community experience. A human experience.

I've been an Apple product user for over 25 years and have always felt the strongest thing we had when we didn't have the killer product or app, was the sense of community. The community among apple users was some weird combination of art, ingenuity and humor. At least, that's what I always felt. Steve had an indelible impression on my life -- far before the iPod and nuovo Apple -- and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that.

As you can see, this is my first post as a registered user and I'm happy I made the departure from my own shyness and fickle reasons to join the community. And in a time when tragedy strikes in such a ubiquitous and profound way - it also gives rise to opportunities to help ourselves and each other do good...and count our own blessings. I'm going to try and do that for myself and for others here.

I just want to thank you all (esp the folks at AA) for educating me, making me laugh and, of course, recently, making me cry. Let's make Steve proud.

Mo

Welcome
  • Reply 23 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stayfoolish View Post

I've lurked here for several years making AA a part of my daily morning (and whenever I had the chance) read. I read informative posts from veteran members, insightful notes from transient, infrequent posters and typical bullhonkey from trolls. It's what made it all a community experience. A human experience.

I've been an Apple product user for over 25 years and have always felt the strongest thing we had when we didn't have the killer product or app, was the sense of community. The community among apple users was some weird combination of art, ingenuity and humor. At least, that's what I always felt. Steve had an indelible impression on my life -- far before the iPod and nuovo Apple -- and I can't tell you how grateful I am for that.

As you can see, this is my first post as a registered user and I'm happy I made the departure from my own shyness and fickle reasons to join the community. And in a time when tragedy strikes in such a ubiquitous and profound way - it also gives rise to opportunities to help ourselves and each other do good...and count our own blessings. I'm going to try and do that for myself and for others here.

I just want to thank you all (esp the folks at AA) for educating me, making me laugh and, of course, recently, making me cry. Let's make Steve proud.

Mo

Welcome, and thank you for that fabulous first post!

Now, let's see a few more..... it's not that hard, see?
  • Reply 24 of 35
    This is is making me cry.

Let's honor steve by posting your photos here.

Reader Memories of Steve Jobs

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...er-photos.html
  • Reply 25 of 35
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Tom Ashbrook did an hour on Steve today on his WBUR radio show "On Point." Included Leander kahney, Nancy Koehn of Harvard Biz School, and Lev Grossman of Time. Ms. Koehn was particularly worth listening to. She really gets it.

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2011/10/06/steve-jobs

On the other hand, "Marketplace" was its usual smarmy, smartass self about Apple today. Really shameful. Listen to it if you want to hear (again) how the rest misunderstand what Jobs did, and get mad as hell.

One more time: Apple stuff is not about the cool factor, and it's not about planned obsolescence!
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

On the other hand, "Marketplace" was its usual smarmy, smartass self about Apple today. Really shameful. Listen to it if you want to hear (again) how the rest misunderstand what Jobs did, and get mad as hell.

I agree. Marketplace - a program that I generally like, and consider to be usually spot on - was incredibly snarky, shallow, and clichétic today on the topic of SJ and Apple. They should be embarrassed. (I am sure they'll hear about it in spades).
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Great look at Jobs' legacy from Jim Cramer over on Mad Money - worth the watch, really:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000049802

PBS Newshour did a great analysis and talk today. Too bad about Marketplace, I normally like them.

Another just to make you chuckle from the Onion:
    "We haven't just lost a great innovator, leader, and businessman, we've literally lost the only person in this country who actually had his shit together and knew what the hell was going on," a statement from President Barack Obama read in part, adding that Jobs will be remembered both for the life-changing products he created and for the fact that he was able to sit down, think clearly, and execute his ideas...
    Farewell Steve.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pooch View Post

yeah, welcome to ai. we want to pass as an a adult, professional, site but, well, we're not.

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones ..... just sayin' .....
  • Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sasparilla View Post

Great look at Jobs' legacy from Jim Cramer over on Mad Money - worth the watch, really:

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000049802

PBS Newshour did a great analysis and talk today. Too bad about Marketplace, I normally like them.

Another just to make you chuckle from the Onion:
    "We haven't just lost a great innovator, leader, and businessman, we've literally lost the only person in this country who actually had his shit together and knew what the hell was going on," a statement from President Barack Obama read in part, adding that Jobs will be remembered both for the life-changing products he created and for the fact that he was able to sit down, think clearly, and execute his ideas...
    Farewell Steve.

Thanks for the quote and the link. I'll have to watch later on something else, 'cause CNBC IS STILL USING FLASH!

(And thanks to Steve for all he insisted on doing for the Nets. Seriously.)
  • Reply 30 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    And as counterpoint, the ever gracious rms writes:

Quote:

Steve Jobs, the pioneer of the computer as a jail made cool, designed to sever fools from their freedom, has died.

As Chicago Mayor Harold Washington said of the corrupt former Mayor Daley, "I'm not glad he's dead, but I'm glad he's gone." Nobody deserves to have to die - not Jobs, not Mr. Bill, not even people guilty of bigger evils than theirs. But we all deserve the end of Jobs' malign influence on people's computing.

Unfortunately, that influence continues despite his absence. We can only hope his successors, as they attempt to carry on his legacy, will be less effective.

What an ass. Some folks might wonder why I have a rather harsh opinion of freetards. Because their dear leader is a turd. Even then, when that jerk dies, I'll find something nice to say about him beyond good riddance.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

. . . .

You like to stir, don?t you.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Quote:

And as counterpoint, the ever gracious rms writes:

What an ass. Some folks might wonder why I have a rather harsh opinion of freetards. Because their dear leader is a turd. Even then, when that jerk dies, I'll find something nice to say about him beyond good riddance.

So where was this? I wouldn't mind replying to it.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

So where was this? I wouldn't mind replying to it.

http://stallman.org/archives/2011-ju...8Steve_Jobs%29

There's no way to reply to it other than blogging about it yourself.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

When was that pic taken?

If my memory serves me right, that picture was taken after the keynote of Macworld 2005, you'll notice the original iPod Shuffle lanyards around their necks.

RIP Steve :***(
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Quote:

http://stallman.org/archives/2011-ju...8Steve_Jobs%29

There's no way to reply to it other than blogging about it yourself.

Thank you, I get the picture. Why do you use only his initials? Is there a freetard secret police? I wouldn't be surprised if there were.

Illustrates that the greatest danger from both left and right comes from the simple minds at the extremes. It's why you can say with some people, "he's so left, he's right" and vice-versa.

And I've always disliked that overgrown-adolescent cartoon GNU logo. Now I know why. It's him.