Mac OS X Lion and iTunes to get iCloud software ahead of iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

As for why they don't allow the merging of IDs even within a country, I can only consider that it is due to various legal concerns. For example, how will they prove that in fact you are the rightful owner of said ID and not say someone that hacked the password to make it look like it is yours. Or it actually belongs to your now Ex and she/he never changed the password from the one you knew and this is some plot to be nasty to them by stealing their account from them.

Except that this is no issue today with authorising iTunes for multiple Apple IDs (including your Ex's if you know the password). Apple put a lid on this by allowing only five physical computers to be authorised with one Apple ID.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

or it doesn't. Your iPhone etc already has the ability to use material from more than one account in terms of songs, tv shows, apps etc. There's no reason to assume that any data backups of content from inside those apps must be in the same account that bought the app, which is really the only reason why iCloud would need to administer several ids. It could end up being totally possible that the two issues aren't linked and you can have one iCloud account that covers everything regardless of what Apple ID bought the app in the first place.

Except that we know from the developer releases of iOS 5 that you cannot change the Apple ID more than something like once per months on your iOS devices whereas today you can log in and out of as many IDs as you want as often as you want.

I am not saying Apple will not, in the end, offer a solution for this issue. It is just that we have not seen it yet.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Think about it a bit, we will be updating every Apple device we own!!! Time machine is nice and all but it is hard to truly call it a backup anyway.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I love the fact that I don't really have to take your advice (though it's good advice), because it's just happening thanks to Time Machine!

Do make sure Time Machine is backing up everything that is important to you.

Quote:

It's only when things like this come along (and OS upgrades) that I even think about backing up - and before it used to take me ages to get organized to do a backup before I could upgrade anything, but now it's just doing it. All the time. Without me!

It's amazing to think how much better computer use has come thanks to things Apple have put into the OS that you don't really notice from day to day, but it's definitely making things a lot better.

Better is right, each release of Mac OS just keeps getting better. Further the transition to Lion has been very smooth.

Quote:

I'm wondering what part of iOS 5 and iCloud will soon be such an integral part of my technology usage that I just don't think about it anymore......

I know right now that the calendar and address book get used far more than I ever expected. ICal syncing is truly wonderful, useful and hard to get by without. Likewise with address syncing. Simple features on a cell phone that are vastly more useful with syncing that is transparent. So with iOS I'm expecting that syncing will be the technology used most transparently.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    Sweet. I might actually consider subscribing to a higher storage tier for a service like this. Maybe get rid of Dropbox.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    Time for Lion? Sounds like we Snow Leopard hold-outs might get left out of the cloud....
  • Reply 25 of 52
    To add to the discussion about merging accounts, what about those like me who started purchasing stuff off of iTunes forever and a day ago and had that Apple ID, and then later signed up for MobileMe? I now have my MobileMe account that I really want to use as my primary for everything. It currently does all my email, contacts, calendar, and file syncing. But I still have to use my old Apple ID for iTunes because it has all of my purchases on it. Because MobileMe (and now iCloud) accounts are immediately considered an Apple ID upon creation and don't exist before creation, we have no way of merging the two accounts. I can't simply add my MobileMe email address to my iTunes Apple ID and then use it for purchases from here on out because it's already a different Apple ID. But if I start using my MobileMe account for purchases and to try transition that way it'll be years (if ever) before my old purchases fall by the wayside or are put on sale for free to be downloaded again. iTunes Match has the potential to alleviate the music portion for a one time $25 fee and some re-downloading, but movies, apps, and books then are still left out in the cold. And not just iTunes purchases, but Apple products and AppleCare that I've registered.

So here's a good reason and use case for merging accounts: user convenience and service simplicity. Apple's solution is neither convenient or simple for the end user. Apple is expected to "sweat the details" so the end user doesn't have to. I'm quite surprised there isn't even a very limited merging ability, like when you first create your MobileMe/iCloud account you're presented the option of replacing ONE previous Apple ID (so more of a replace than a merge). That at least would be a start.

*sigh* I guess I should just resign myself to forever juggling 2 accounts. \
  • Reply 26 of 52
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solowalker View Post

To add to the discussion about merging accounts, what about those like me who started purchasing stuff off of iTunes forever and a day ago and had that Apple ID, and then later signed up for MobileMe? I now have my MobileMe account that I really want to use as my primary for everything. It currently does all my email, contacts, calendar, and file syncing. But I still have to use my old Apple ID for iTunes because it has all of my purchases on it. Because MobileMe (and now iCloud) accounts are immediately considered an Apple ID upon creation and don't exist before creation, we have no way of merging the two accounts. I can't simply add my MobileMe email address to my iTunes Apple ID and then use it for purchases from here on out because it's already a different Apple ID. But if I start using my MobileMe account for purchases and to try transition that way it'll be years (if ever) before my old purchases fall by the wayside or are put on sale for free to be downloaded again. iTunes Match has the potential to alleviate the music portion for a one time $25 fee and some re-downloading, but movies, apps, and books then are still left out in the cold. And not just iTunes purchases, but Apple products and AppleCare that I've registered.

So here's a good reason and use case for merging accounts: user convenience and service simplicity. Apple's solution is neither convenient or simple for the end user. Apple is expected to "sweat the details" so the end user doesn't have to. I'm quite surprised there isn't even a very limited merging ability, like when you first create your MobileMe/iCloud account you're presented the option of replacing ONE previous Apple ID (so more of a replace than a merge). That at least would be a start.

*sigh* I guess I should just resign myself to forever juggling 2 accounts. \

why? Mobileme will soon be dead. Icloud uses your apple id. Only one account, only one sign in. It really is that simple. As for people with multiple itunes accounts, that's a tiny minority of people who cheated cross border copyright and release restrictions, and these people are already used to multiple sign ins.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Time for Lion? Sounds like we Snow Leopard hold-outs might get left out of the cloud....

Yup, latest technologies require latest operating systems and hardware. That's the nature of technology, although i will say that apple try as hard as any other company to maintain compatibility with kit and os for about two years back. My ipad 1 is about to run OS5, as a free upgrade. Not bad for two year old kit.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

Yup, latest technologies require latest operating systems and hardware. That's the nature of technology, although i will say that apple try as hard as any other company to maintain compatibility with kit and os for about two years back. My ipad 1 is about to run OS5, as a free upgrade. Not bad for two year old kit.

Not complaining. Just hadn't see anything official yet. Probably take care of it this weekend before the crush.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnmcboston View Post

Not complaining. Just hadn't see anything official yet. Probably take care of it this weekend before the crush.

I'm hoping for snowleopard compatible updates to ilfe and iwork allowing icloud functionality, i just think icloud is aimed squarely at ios devices and every ios device under two years old will run ios5, so no one will reasonably be left out in the cold.

Ed. Not forgetting itunes match and all the other itunes functionality will run under snowleopard...
  • Reply 30 of 52
    ?You don?t get it!? I laughed at the TV screen. The CNBC stock analysts smugly snickered to each other about how the new product being presented by Steve Jobs was going*flop. They agreed that he may have lost his magic. Their argument centered on three things:

1) It?s name was undesirable. It reminded people of a feminine hygiene product.

2) It was doomed to fail. Other companies like Dell, IBM and Microsoft provided similar products in the past. Barely anyone bought them.

3) There was no obvious need for a new in-between device.

That event, when the iPad was introduced by Steve in early 2010, combined with the early reaction from the media, changed me. I had an epiphany. I remember seeing the same media responses for the iPod and iPhone events. How did they not notice what was so obvious? I, like Steve, imagined doctors showing patients digital x-rays with the iPad. I saw teachers using it in classrooms and students doing homework with it. Dads would use it for presentations and reports. Moms could read emails and magazines, perusing websites and playing games, all on the couch. Kids would watch TV and movies in the back seat of the car. I saw what Steve saw. There was only a small minority that knew right from the beginning what a revolutionary device it was. Soon, within months, iPad fever caught on.

Now, I see a similar response to the iPhone 4S. ?We waited a year and a half for this?? is what some people question. I see blogs and news reports all touting how ?lackluster? the iPhone 4S is. People wanted a redesigned phone with LTE 4G speed. They wanted NFC (near field communications) where they could swipe and pay. They wanted a bigger screen that looked like some of these monsters Google and Samsung are producing. Well, guess what?

You don?t get it. Again.

We all know that the difference between Apple and other companies is Apple?s ability to take products and technologies, sometimes other companies? creations, and makes them more beautiful, relevant and practical. They have done this better than anyone in history. Now, we are witnessing their best work and Steve Job?s masterpiece, and barely anyone seems to notice.

I am not talking about the 8MB camera or the world phone capabilities or the dual antenna of the iPhone 4S. I am talking about two things that are about to change our world forever.

1) Cloud computing. No longer will we be restricted to one laptop or desktop for our documents, pictures, video, email, software, songs, art or anything else. Where we go, our stuff goes. On any device. iPhone, MacBook, iMac, iPad. Yes this technology existed in other devices, but as it was,*it lacked*functionality. The iOS 5 release changes that.

2) Artificial Intelligence. Siri on iPhone 4S lets us use our voices to ?send messages, schedule meetings, place phone calls? all ?by talking the way we talk.? Apple states that we are ?actually having a conversation? with our iPhone. In reality, this is the first device that has a UI (user interface) that is verbal and functional throughout the core system. This technology has been around for a while, but it has never been applied properly and it was never very accurate. We have seen it is movies and our dreams, but that is where it stayed.

Do you get it yet? Now is the time and now we have the right devices. The customers (us) have matured. Steve saw a dad waking up in the morning and saying ?Siri, start my coffee,? and then the iPhone would send a message to the coffee maker. Steve wanted Moms to say ?Siri, how do I get rid of this rash?? while they held the camera to their arm. Siri would recommend an anti-fungal cream.

Steve could see a child asking ?Siri, where is Grandpa?? only to find out he is a few blocks away driving in the child?s direction. Steve saw a million possibilities.

The iPhone 4s is much bigger and more special than most people yet realize. iCould is the proliferation of digital freedom. Siri is the beginning of verbal user interfaces combined with artificial intelligence.

We are about to go on a ride that is limitless. Steve got it. Soon, we will all get it.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

Do you get it yet? Now is the time and now we have the right devices. The customers (us) have matured. Steve saw a dad waking up in the morning and saying ?Siri, start my coffee,? and then the iPhone would send a message to the coffee maker. Steve wanted Moms to say ?Siri, how do I get rid of this rash?? while they held the camera to their arm. Siri would recommend an anti-fungal cream.

Steve could see a child asking ?Siri, where is Grandpa?? only to find out he is a few blocks away driving in the child?s direction. Steve saw a million possibilities.

The iPhone 4s is much bigger and more special than most people yet realize. iCould is the proliferation of digital freedom. Siri is the beginning of verbal user interfaces combined with artificial intelligence.

We are about to go on a ride that is limitless. Steve got it. Soon, we will all get it.

Then Siri gets too smart, sends the blender and kitchen knives after us, cars explode, planes crash, and humanity dies.

Seriously though- Good write up- I actually liked it.

About NFC. I thought it would be cool, but unless you can access it really really fast- it's a gimmick. It most likely will have a password- so I have to open lock screen, then app, then password. In 1/4 the time I just pull out my wallet and swipe. Now finger print recognition on the home screen w/ easy access button (like the camera) instead of password or pin number and apps... And now were talkin...
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Any word on that once rumoured 10.6.9 update to bring iCloud integration to Snow Leopard?
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkhm View Post

why? Mobileme will soon be dead. Icloud uses your apple id. Only one account, only one sign in. It really is that simple. As for people with multiple itunes accounts, that's a tiny minority of people who cheated cross border copyright and release restrictions, and these people are already used to multiple sign ins.

You're completely missing the point. My MobileMe ID is my email address. MobileMe will be dead forcing me into iCloud and if I should use my iTunes AppleID, which is just not using the @me.com part of MM, to register for iCloud, I'll lose my email address and Apple hasn't allowed me to change the AppleID [address], which has all my purchase history and was used at iTunes before email addresses were required as IDs, to [address]@me.com because it is already taken as a MobileMe AppleID. But it's taken by ME with all personal, email, and CC info the same in iTunes and MobileMe. Apple just refused to see they are the same person. Not merging these account will negate all the benefits of iCloud and screw all syncing across devices.

I didn't cheat anyone Apple did this to me during the transition from .Mac to MobileMe. Apple didn't give me an option as I showed above. The servers refused to accept the address.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Simsonic View Post

?You don?t get it!? I laughed at the TV screen. The CNBC stock analysts smugly snickered to each other about how the new product being presented by Steve Jobs was going*flop. They agreed that he may have lost his magic. Their argument centered on three things:

Excellent Post! Though it will end up on dead ears on this forum as you will find people neat picking on the posts v/s the real message.

First, most of the intelligent people from CNBC has left the show! CNBC only does lip services to day-traders, hedge fund managers and news that increases their rating! Sadly I watch them because the alternatives are no better (and I hate Fox). BTW, I believe you were talking about bozos on FastMoney - And if you watch that show, they all have iPad sitting in front of them!

As far as iPhone 4S goes - Same sentiments as you! I have posted exactly what you mentioned here and other places. First, there were no concrete evidence of iPhone 5 - The speculation was built up by media and Wall Street analysts (another collection of bozos). The introduction of iPhone 4S is an excellent move by Apple. It is cheaper, but faster and broader availability. It addresses few of the hardware features that it was behind the competitor (though, personally I am happy with iPhone 4 specs). But, the real feature of this iPhone 4s is really iOS 5 and obviously Siri - The message is the the Apple ecosystem, once again. Also, I think there is a pattern on iPhone hardware releases - Every form fact change will have two releases (iPhone 3G and 3GS, iPhone 4 and 4S) I guess the number has spoken - Another record - 200,000 iPhone 4S were sold in less than 12 hours.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

...Another record - 200,000 iPhone 4S were sold in less than 12 hours.

Note that was one carrier (AT&T) and from one of seven countries getting the iPhone this Friday (not sure if they all had pre-order as an option).

It's rumoured they started production in August and if we can use the iPhone 4's launch history as a clue I think we can expect at least 3 millions sold opening weekend. Last year the iPhone 4 sold only to AT&T in the US, only 3 other countries outside the USA, and what I assume is considerably less demand and managed to push 1.7 million units.

PS: This rumoured production ramp up makes sense with 7 countries instead of 4 and 3x the carriers in the US but I can't help but wonder if Apple is trying to steal the "Fastest-Selling Consumer Electronics Device" crown from MS's Kinect. It sold 8 million units in the first 60 days.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

Your completely missing the point. My MobileMe ID is my email address. MobileMe will be dead forcing me into iCloud and if I should use my iTunes AppleID, which is just not using the @me.com part of MM, to register for iCloud, I'll lose my email address and Apple hasn't allowed me to change the AppleID [address], which was used at iTunes before email addresses were required as IDs, to [address]@me.com because it is already taken as a MobileMe AppleID. But it's taken by ME with all personal, email, and CC info the same in iTunes and MobileMe. Apple just refused to see they are the same person. Not merging these account will negate all the benefits of iCloud and screw all syncing across devices.

I didn't cheat anyone Apple did this to me during the transition from .Mac to MobileMe. Apple didn't give me an option as I showed above. The servers refused to accept the address.

Actually, I am also interested in how this is going to pan out for me. We have multiple iOS devices - 2 iPhone, 1 iPad and 2 iPod touch, which are all synced and using one iTunes account and they are all synced using one MacBook. For starter, I am glad that iCloud would help me manage the purchases better than what I have today. But, I am concerned how is PhotoStream, docs, contacts, email, calendar, etc. is going to work in cloud? It would be nice if I can continue to use my iTunes id for all my devices for Music, movies, books, apps - But for PhotoStream, docs, contacts, email, calendar it uses the new @me.com account per device. This way, all of the devices are syncing up in cloud and my Mac is not involved anymore - Except for backing up the photos once a month or when there are more than 1000 pics (to handle the 30 days and 1000 photo limitations for Free accounts)
  • Reply 37 of 52
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

If you are currently a MobileMe subscriber, I would think it would be prudent to wait for the MobileMe-to-iCloud migration instructions from Apple.

I agree, though it will be interesting to see what instructions they have, given Apple's history of damaging people's data.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ljocampo View Post

I agree!! I'm not going to upgrade system software, iTunes, or register for iCloud until Apple has a way to merge my MobileMe account with my iTunes account. I have Mac App store purchases on my MobileMe ID and music and video purchases on my iTunes ID.

The irony is both AppleIDs have the same MobileMe email address as its primary email, but Apple has not so far allow me to merge into one AppleID.

When I switched to Mac I already had a ton of iTunes purchases under a hotmail iTunes id.

Apple is the only reason that hotmail account is still alive. My music is encoded to it and iTunes cannot re-code my music for my .me ID.

I'd like to see Tim Cook set up a department in Apple called the Think Normal group, to tidy up after all that thinking differently.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PXT View Post

When I switched to Mac I already had a ton of iTunes purchases under a hotmail iTunes id.

Apple is the only reason that hotmail account is still alive. My music is encoded to it and iTunes cannot re-code my music for my .me ID.

I'd like to see Tim Cook set up a department in Apple called the Think Normal group, to tidy up after all that thinking differently.

• Reply 40 of 52
    limlim Posts: 9member
    [QUOTE=Simsonic;1961762]?You don?t get it!? I laughed at the TV screen...

What a worthwhile first post.

I enjoyed your piece; thank you.

Regards, lim