iPad now 97% of tablet traffic, eclipses iPhone, iOS remains mobile leader

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TPF1 View Post

That's why I didn't do it, but there were MANY people who ditched their cell carrier and went to ATT for their cell service because they wanted an iPad so badly.

Why would they have to ditch their current cell carrier to get an AT&T iPad?
  • Reply 42 of 45
    tpf1tpf1 Posts: 5member
    To get the wideband connectivity of the tablet.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Quote:

To get the wideband connectivity of the tablet.

???

This makes no sense.

If you get an 3G iPad you sign up with AT&T (or Verizon) and use it.

And what do you mean "to get wideband connectivity"? Meaning their current cell service was not wideband? It uses 3G just as the phones do.

You continue to use your regular cell phone service as it it. Why would you have to ditch it?

The two are not linked in any way.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    tpf1tpf1 Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

???

This makes no sense.

If you get an 3G iPad you sign up with AT&T (or Verizon) and use it.

And what do you mean "to get wideband connectivity"? Meaning their current cell service was not wideband? It uses 3G just as the phones do.

You continue to use your regular cell phone service as it it. Why would you have to ditch it?

The two are not linked in any way.

OK Chris, you seem to be the only one who is very interested in my statements, so I'll explain thoroughly. Because YOU don't understand it does not mean it makes no sense. A better way to start your post would be, "I still don't understand..."

I see that you're in CA, but you might live up in Crescent City on the Northwest Coast for all I know. Here in SoCal, Verizon cell service is king because of the reliablility of its network and the huge footprint it casts. Before the iPhone, unless you were a dyed-in-the-wool ATT customer for years, you wouldn't chose ATT for your cell needs because they were VERY unreliable and lead all carriers with dropped calls. (Well documented in Consumer Reports, on CNET, and other tech sites).

When Apple signed their exclusivity agreement with ATT, many folks were disappointed that the iPhone was only available through ATT. If they were already invested in another carrier, the weren't going to either shift all their lines over to ATT and pay early termination fees to get an iPhone or just start another account with ATT just to get an iPhone. Most people tend to have all their service with just one carrier, but of course there are exceptions.

It is also commonly acknowledged among the tech crowd that the link between ATT and iPhones was a brilliant stroke for ATT since their cell service was on the ropes despite heavy advertising and boots on the ground in malls and public gatherings to stoke their image. It wasn't until the long-awaited and highly vaunted iPhone came along that ATT got the shot in the arm they needed to make their cell division survivable.

The resurgence of interest in ATT cell service was short lived though. iPhone customers were THRILLED with their new gadgets, but they were VERY DISAPPOINTED with the cellular functionality, not because of the iPhone itself, but because of the frustration with ATT's network that gave them spotty coverage and a plethora of lost calls.

Enter the iPad. Again, the Apple faithful as well as non-Apple users were again THRILLED with a new ground-breaking gadget, but once again, unless they wanted to use the iPad as a stand-alone or WiFi device on a home or business network, they were disappointed with the 3G coverage of ATT's network.

The iPad realizes its full functionality with 3G network connectivity, so once again people would have to make a choice among three options:

1) Do I shift all my cellular coverage to ATT to add a line to support my nifty new iPad (in my case, I had six cell phones on Verizon) and settle for second-rate cell AND iPad coverage?

2) Do I buy an iPad and use it without 3G connectivity just to get the newest gadget and only be able to use it tied to my home network or open business networks thus leaving my cellular service with my current carrier intact?

3) Or, do I buy an Android tablet that will work on my carrier's 3G network and leave my long-held cellular service alone? I only have to add a line for a few bucks more/month rather than start a new ATT account, pay all the usage fees and taxes a second time with a second carrier, and have less than optimal service with my iPad?

I chose option #3. My cell phones all work as they always have on the Verizon network, and my Samsung Android tablet connects anywhere and everywhere and works great.

Now that Verizon has begun carrying Apple iPhones and iPads with CDMA functionality, I'm replacing my Android products with Apple ones as my family wants them. Some don't want the iPhone, but it's their choice, and some have no interest in an iPad, so I'm not going to force them to have one.

Not sure why all of that wasn't clear to start. Really not trying to argue -- just explaining. Peace!
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Quote:

The iPad realizes its full functionality with 3G network connectivity, so once again people would have to make a choice among three options:

You forgot option 4.

Buy an AT&T iPad and use it on AT&T as many, many people did (actually, everyone who bought a 1st gen 3G iPad did).

There is no reason to drop Verizon as your cell carrier.

Quote:

I chose option #3. My cell phones all work as they always have on the Verizon network, and my Samsung Android tablet connects anywhere and everywhere and works great.

And an AT&T iPad would have worked fine on AT&T.

Quote:

Not sure why all of that wasn't clear to start.

It was very clear from the start that you preferred Verizon as your cell provider.

Quote:

Really not trying to argue -- just explaining. Peace!

Ditto.

Quote:

Most people tend to have all their service with just one carrier, but of course there are exceptions.

So you did not want to be the exception and have two different bills.

Okay.

That was not clear from your posts, which is why I responded as I did. It seemed you thought you would HAVE to use AT&T for your cell phones if you got an AT&T iPad, not that you did not want separate providers/bills.