AT&T hedges iPhone 4S bet with 5 new Android devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Thats just it. Each one mentions has a different OS that it runs. Some I are running 2.3, at least one is running 2.2, one is suppose to be coming with 4.0. The tablets have 3.1 or is it 3.0. And you most of these are stuck where they are. Tomorrow my 2 year old 3Gs will be running iOS 5. The only feature I care about that I'll miss is Siri, because of the hardware.

I think I'll still to what makes sense!! I like that my phone wasn't made obsolete 6 weeks after I bought it even though I got it on day one.

AFAIK, the majority of people who buy electronics and computers don't care so much about the OS that runs on other devices. We've seen stats about Windows XP still having a huge installed base. We've seen stats about older versions of iOS still having a huge installed base. And we've heard about the el-cheapo Android hardware that runs a not-the-newest version of Android.

AFAIK, many (most?) people are OK with that.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    Sadly due to my provider I have a droid, so I get about a 1 in 10 chance my apps will not work and feel ripped off when two weeks later the "greatest droid ever" that is only slightly better if at all than the last "greatest dried ever". It just feels like you are always put of date. The phones are in now way bad, they just have a very frustrating community to work inhere you feel your money is being tossed away.

On the flip side I have my iPad 2, I will have it till the iPad 4(unless I have the money for the 3 and it's a huge upgrade to the 2). I have only come across a few total fail apps, but they all usually work. I know I have an excellent piece of tech in my hands that won't get surpassed in a week or a month and even if the competition releases something that is superficially better.

I say androids can have the hastle, I will be glad to pay more for stability, quality and reliability.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

Alpha

Beta

Cupcake

Donut (1.6)

Eclair (2.0 - 2.1)

Frozen Yogurt (2.2)

Gingerbread (2.3)

Honeycomb (3.0-3.2 so far)

Ice Cream Sandwhich (4.0)

Jellybean?

Key Lime Pie?

Lemon Sorbet

Moose Tracks

Neapolitan

Ovaltine

Peppermint

Quiddany

Rocky Road

Shortcake

Taffy

Upside-Down Cake

Vanilla

Watermelon

Yogurt

Ziti (not a SINGLE uncopywritten sweet that starts with z)

There, Google. Pay me.

Quote:

thing is those are simply code names.

That everyone also uses for marketing and sales.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Notice how Appleinsider makes us scroll through a ton of ads before getting to the articles?

I just go straight to the Comments page for every article, since it reprints the article in full minus the graphics and the ads. I read AI at work, and I don't want the big, splashy images on my monitor that AI likes to put in their stories.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Same OS =\\= same phone.

Also you and a lot of the Apple fans here tend to think everyone is absolutely retarded.

First they are going to think the tab is an iPad. Then that the galaxy is an iPhone. And now they are going to get brain aneurysms over choices.

Sometimes choices are a good thing and sometimes they're a bad thing. Usually, brands try to fill in all price points to eliminate customer objections over price (the second rule of selling is to overcome customer objections.) For example, if you look at the Apple computer lineup, you'll see a fairly evenly distributed range of price points from bottom to top.

If the choices aren't clearly defined, it causes consumer confusion. And when consumers are confused, they defer purchasing decisions. Before Steve Jobs returned to Apple, Apple had exactly that problem. They had an enormous number of redundant models split across multiple product lines (Centris, Quadra, Mac, etc). It was very hard to compare the models to understand the benefits of each. When Jobs returned, he simplified the product line (I think to three lines at the time) and this was the start of Apple's resurgence.

Personally, I'm glad Android is out there as a competitor. It will push Apple to continue aggressive development of the iPhone line and to further enhance performance and the feature set as well as keeping a lid on selling price. Having competition pushes the bar higher.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    cajuncajun Posts: 95member
    Personally, I think it's a good thing that AT&T is investing more in Android. If Apple is too closely partnered with AT&T, then they have to look out for AT&T's best interests when developing features. If the iPhone is just one of many phones that AT&T sells, then Apple has more freedom to innovate in ways that AT&T might not like.

I'm glad that Android is the number one smartphone OS; it keeps Apple hungry to be number 2, and causes them to innovate a lot more.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

Maybe Google can ink a deal with Comedy Central and go with Chocolate Salty Balls.

That'd be funny I'd they weren't way past using "C" but nonetheless you get a +1 for effort.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cajun View Post

Personally, I think it's a good thing that AT&T is investing more in Android. If Apple is too closely partnered with AT&T, then they have to look out for AT&T's best interests when developing features. If the iPhone is just one of many phones that AT&T sells, then Apple has more freedom to innovate in ways that AT&T might not like.

I'm glad that Android is the number one smartphone OS; it keeps Apple hungry to be number 2, and causes them to innovate a lot more.

No.

Apple does not have to look out for AT&T even if that is there only phone. Apple cannot be made to do so. That is not their job. AT&T will have to look out for AT&T no matter what phones they sell.

Next, I think you will find that as far as Apple us concerned they are number 1. Apple doesn't keep score by counting dumb phones, or number of handsets. They keep score on things like customer satisfaction, retetion, profit, UI ease of use, etc.

It would be nice if that kept android hungry at number two, but google has no desire to compete in these areas, which is why android sucks so bad.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lemon Sorbet

Moose Tracks

Neapolitan

Ovaltine

Peppermint

Quiddany

Rocky Road

Shortcake

Taffy

Upside-Down Cake

Vanilla

Watermelon

Yogurt

Zabaione (it's an Italian custard).

Quote:

There, Google. Pay me.

You owe me part of your fee.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

Lemon Sorbet

Moose Tracks

Neapolitan

Ovaltine

Peppermint

Quiddany

Rocky Road

Shortcake

Taffy

Upside-Down Cake

Vanilla

Watermelon

Yogurt

There, Google. Pay me.

lol

Quote:

That everyone also uses for marketing and sales.

even so I think the code names are fine...better than WP7 at least (must end in O)
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Sometimes choices are a good thing and sometimes they're a bad thing. Usually, brands try to fill in all price points to eliminate customer objections over price (the second rule of selling is to overcome customer objections.) For example, if you look at the Apple computer lineup, you'll see a fairly evenly distributed range of price points from bottom to top.

If the choices aren't clearly defined, it causes consumer confusion. And when consumers are confused, they defer purchasing decisions. Before Steve Jobs returned to Apple, Apple had exactly that problem. They had an enormous number of redundant models split across multiple product lines (Centris, Quadra, Mac, etc). It was very hard to compare the models to understand the benefits of each. When Jobs returned, he simplified the product line (I think to three lines at the time) and this was the start of Apple's resurgence.

Personally, I'm glad Android is out there as a competitor. It will push Apple to continue aggressive development of the iPhone line and to further enhance performance and the feature set as well as keeping a lid on selling price. Having competition pushes the bar higher.

Can't disagree...good post.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That'd be funny I'd they weren't way past using "C" but nonetheless you get a +1 for effort.

Wouldn't Salty Chocolate Balls solve both issues?
  • Reply 33 of 42
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Quote:

I just go straight to the Comments page for every article, since it reprints the article in full minus the graphics and the ads. I read AI at work, and I don't want the big, splashy images on my monitor that AI likes to put in their stories.

I prefer Feeddler on iPad pulling feeds from Google Reader, since it has built-in Instapaper integration for reading full text + graphics without all the crap.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shawnb View Post

Wouldn't Salty Chocolate Balls solve both issues?

now I'd be mad if Android version 15.2 wasn't Salty Chocolate Balls :-/
  • Reply 35 of 42
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:

Alpha

Beta

Cupcake

Donut (1.6)

Eclair (2.0 - 2.1)

Frozen Yogurt (2.2)

Gingerbread (2.3)

Honeycomb (3.0-3.2 so far)

Ice Cream Sandwhich (4.0)

Jellybean?

Key Lime Pie?

L?

M?

N?

O?

etc

see a pattern?

thing is those are simply code names.

Lollipop, Blow
  • Reply 36 of 42
    I still can't understand how these companies can produce what seems to be at least 5 new phones each week. How can companies possibly focus??? Do we really need so many different kinds of phones?
  • Reply 37 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muadibe View Post

I still can't understand how these companies can produce what seems to be at least 5 new phones each week. How can companies possibly focus??? Do we really need so many different kinds of phones?

I think the same thing, and I hope they get some sort of hint eventually...a lot of these phones are simply reworked for different carriers too...because they wish to differentiate for some reason. I think it's retarded though.

One or even 2 models in every range, once or twice a year would suffice.

2 super low end

2 low end

2 medium

2 high end

2 super high end

10 phones a year...

at the same time this diminishes choice greatly, but it'd probably cut down on the phones that manage past QC with super errors...(my G2X pre-rooted was atrocious)

I dunno...I can see the pros and cons.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:

But you do click on the ads every once in a while so that AI gets "paid" for its hard work, right?
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

19 Models to 3 for the iPhone

And Fandroids run around bragging about how much higher the numbers of units sold.

Come on. That's like saying every handset manufacturer combined outsells Apple, OMG Apple is fail.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:

Let me guess, you're an "Apple fan," but you're concerned about "Apple not innovating."

You realize of course the fallacy of looking at things this way. The entire mobile phone market isn't just Android + iOS. The majority of mobile users world wide aren't using smartphones yet. That is the market Apple is going after.