Inside Apple's iPhone 4S and its 8MP camera: 'S' is for Shutter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Argh! Giant squirrel!

But impressive. I no longer need to look for a complimentary point and shoot for my DSLR and it just justified the 4S even though I have a 4 now.

Wow... I'm just blown away by how good that is from a phone as thin as the iPhone!
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

This was my favorite:

"The lens also starts up a third faster".

Umm...iPhone lenses don't "start up".

Er, I think they mean the speed of the lense vs. starting like a car.

Hey, one pedant deserves another
  • Reply 23 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Maybe 'S' is for sense of humor?

Come on now, profusely pontificating is what Internet forums are for. Isn't that why we are all here?
  • Reply 24 of 52
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh2012 View Post

S is for Siri

S is for Shutter

S is for Speed

S is for Steve

S is for ??

*Suh-weet or Subpar (the buying public is obviously voting for the former, while some posters and pundits still kvetch it's the latter)

*Stealthgrade (the improvements reveal themselves in use not on sight)

*Sprint

*Sixty-four (GB) (You'll need it to keep many 1080p vids stored locally)
  • Reply 25 of 52
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Josh2012 View Post

S is for Siri

S is for Shutter

S is for Speed

S is for Steve

S is for ??

S is for $$$

The amount of money Apple will make (though, not technically as "S")
  • Reply 26 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Wow... I'm just blown away by how good that is from a phone as thin as the iPhone!

I think that is a point the anti-Apple crowd will conveniently ignore. There are many great phone cameras but they are either very thick phones or relatively thin phones with a huge camera goiter hanging off its neck.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by retiarius View Post

Does gyro-aided image stabilization work with still photographs or just video?

Gyro stabilization doesn’t remove motion blur as far as I know (doing so would give moving video an odd look anyway). It removes travel/jitter so that objects are in the same place from frame to frame.

That doesn’t apply to stills: there only IS one frame. There’s no jitter or travel to remove.

But if you’re hoping that motion blur can be avoided when you take a still shot while moving too much, the 4S probably does help with that a bit, simply by having a shorter exposure time and better light sensitivity.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think that is a poor te anti-Apple crowd will conveniently ignore. There are many great phone cameras but they are either very thick phones or relatively thin phones with a huge camera goiter hanging off its neck.

And do they have HDR? And the same selection of really outstanding photo apps? The iPhone 4 is an amazing all-around camera, so much more capable (in ways that matter to me) than any standalone camera. And the 4S is better yet! Now, what’s better than both? Next year’s iPhone I’ll be getting
  • Reply 28 of 52
    My iphone 4 with ios 5 gm does tap to focus during video also.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    S doesn't stand for anything. It's the Harry Truman edition.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Exactly.

Cell phones and other digital cameras of this type do not have a shutter. They imitate the effects of the shutter digitally. To do an article about a cell phone camera and imply that it's new and improved because now it has a shutter, is a misrepresentation.

There is also hardly even a mention of shutters in the article, and nothing about the new camera's digital approximation of a shutter that is either different from the last iPhone camera or any other cell phone camera. At least as far as the article describes.

It's just a generally poor and misleading title.

S is for speed, S is for Steve maybe, but S is definitely not for shutter.

Actually my Nokia N8 does have a mechanical shutter for photos (not video). And I was really disappointed the one and only time I was in a propeller aircraft and it turned out I couldn't get a weird assed picture of the props.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    I won't be able to fully tell how good this is until I see a comparison of the same images from the iPhone 4 and the 4S.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    Quote:

How can you have an entire article entitled "s is for shutter'" when the iPhone doesn't actually have a shutter? Are we getting that lax now? Do facts not matter at all?

Oh come on. I guess if a person loves taking pictures with their iPhone they cannot be called a "shutterbug" due to aforementioned lack of shutter...
  • Reply 33 of 52
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

It's just a generally poor and misleading title.

S is for speed, S is for Steve maybe, but S is definitely not for shutter.

To anyone who has even an ounce of "common sense" it is obvious that AI wanted to have a word that we would all associate with a camera and would start with an S.

Tell me, are all "Professors" lacking in common sense or perhaps you just didn't want to "waste an opportunity" to be nit-picky, yet again.

I would suggest to you, that anyone who displays the amount of misunderstanding that you do, most times, should not have the title (even abbreviated) of "Prof." in their name. Talk about misleading!
  • Reply 34 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

Oh come on. I guess if a person loves taking pictures with their iPhone they cannot be called a "shutterbug" due to aforementioned lack of shutter...

When it comes to a digital camera shutter I don't think the shutter being virtual/electronic is incorrect for demotic speak. If this were a technical forum detailing camera HW then I could see the distinction needing to be made.

PS: We've had the same argument about calling a motion picture a film if it's not actually produced on celluloid. Oxford American Dictionary defines film as "a motion picture; a movie: a horror film" and "movies considered as an art or industry."
  • Reply 35 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

S is for $$$

The amount of money Apple will make (though, not technically as "S")

S is for Selfish

Me want! Bad!
  • Reply 36 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    The problem with the current iPhone 4 camera is the amount of post-processing that goes on. If you compare the shots it produces to a quality standalone camera (or the current gold standard in cameraphones, the Nokia N8), you can see how unnatural the colours look. Photos taken by the iPhone 4 tend to end up looking very cartoony - they're too colourful.

Hopefully the bigger aperture will mean that less post-processing will need to be done.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post

Holy crap, that's pretty amazing. Give it some kind of effective optical zoom, and I could throw away my point & shoot.

Don't worry they are getting there. I was in Best Buy(oh god why!) last year looking for a digital camera for my girlfriend and I tested them all out. Not one and I mean not one could compare to my iphone 4's camera. Not even a $500.00 sony cyber shot. Damn!
  • Reply 38 of 52
    At WWDC 2009, Phil Schiller said the S in iPhone 3GS was for "speed". Why is there any reason to think that it would stand for something different with regards to the iPhone 4S?

• Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Assuming this is real, this is pretty impressive?

S is for 'shudder' at how good that picture is.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

S is for 'shudder' at how good that picture is.

Nice one!