RIM's BlackBerry outages continue for second day

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    There goes their one and only core competency. Nothing else to pull out of the hat anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

Worked wonders for Christianity.

Can you bring out your big Bible and run that by me again? OK I know that Jesus left the post of Founder and Paul and Peter were the first Co-CEOs. Who's the third? Marry?
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Here's hoping all of Apple's planning pays off with everyone in the world trying to download the iOS5 updates in a few hours AT THE SAME TIME!!
  • Reply 24 of 32
    azjayazjay Posts: 40member
    Looks like their outage is spreading. Reports of South America, Canada and even US are starting to feel the effects as day 3 begins. http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/12/tech/m...age/index.html
  • Reply 25 of 32
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fairthrope View Post

Can you bring out your big Bible and run that by me again? OK I know that Jesus left the post of Founder and Paul and Peter were the first Co-CEOs. Who's the third? Marry?

I believe he was humorously referring to this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity

I'm not a fan of that though, so I feel that RIM could use 5 CEOs. That way when they run into issues like this they can form BBVoltron to deal with the fallout.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltron...ar_Universe.29
  • Reply 26 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIA View Post

It could also be Canadian.

My BB is ok...receiving emails and BBMs...

I did receive a bunch of broadcast messages to rebroadcast, repairing your BBM...
  • Reply 27 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

One of the more popular tweets I've seen on this: "Its thoughtful of BlackBerry to honour Steve Jobs by having two days of silence." ouch

Ha! Even though I don't 'feel a thing' when reading something about RIM, this actually made me go: "ouch!" as well.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

My BB is ok...receiving emails and BBMs...

I did receive a bunch of broadcast messages to rebroadcast, repairing your BBM...

well...I turned my phone off while taking my son to the hospital to get his bandages changed...turned it back on with no new emails. I knew right then my BB was hooped (i usually get a ton of work email a day).

Still not fully recovered...received 3 or 4 emails that were sent around noon my time...I got them 6 hours later.

Side note kinda ironic this started on the eve of iOS5 and iCloud LOL. Talk about a perfect storm for RIM.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

Fair point but three differences:

1) MobileMe is in a period of transition.

2) MobileMe is not required for access to basic online services like browsing.

3) MobileMe is not one of the core reasons for its company's brand loyalty.

This is a major blow for RIM, especially in enterprise. If I was pitching for a big contract for my firm, you can bet your bottom dollar I'd be mentioning these outages.

To add to that, don't forget that MobileMe users were warned in advance of these issues & they are only intermittent vs bberry's full outage.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    It's hard to imagine that this multi-day outage isn't the bonafide beginning of the end for RIM. Yes, they have been on a downward trajectory for a while, but this fiasco will undoubtedly cause their users to jump ship. The timing is especially bad for RIM, because of how close the outage is to the release of the iPhone 4s.

Anecdotally...on two separate occasions yesterday, clients of mine asked about my iPhone. They are each BlackBerry users who had no email access. One had to remind everyone in the meeting to call him if any important emails went out to the group, since he wouldn't get mail until he returned to his computer.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

It's hard to imagine that this multi-day outage isn't the bonafide beginning of the end for RIM. Yes, they have been on a downward trajectory for a while, but this fiasco will undoubtedly cause their users to jump ship. The timing is especially bad for RIM, because of how close the outage is to the release of the iPhone 4s.

Anecdotally...on two separate occasions yesterday, clients of mine asked about my iPhone. They are each BlackBerry users who had no email access. One had to remind everyone in the meeting to call him if any important emails went out to the group, since he wouldn't get mail until he returned to his computer.

1. Indeed, a 3 day outage would be reason enough for people to switch supplier. I know I would.

2. You know people without email access on their phone? I don't know anyone 'in corporate' without email on their phone.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    There is a world of business professionals that exist outside of the "corporate" environment. My clients are mostly mid size firms (20 - 50) I have no idea what kind of IT setup they work with. But yes, those folks had no email..