In-depth Review: iOS 5

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by akf2000 View Post

Question for AI forum: Do Gold Master versions expire? I am on iOS 5 GM and want to know if I need to update to the final build.

Probably a question better asked on the developer/appleseed forums. With iOS 5 out today the NDA may no longer be a factor, then again, it might be
  • Reply 42 of 76
    I can't wait to FINALLY get to play around with the iOS 5 software!

iCloud seem like it's going to work miracle for all Apple users.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgraphix View Post

Enough talk already Apple, release it!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

They're sleeping. Apple operates on American time, not foreign time.

It'll most likely be released around 10 AM PST, 1 PM EST.

Exactly. This is a fairly predictable pattern.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Journojulz View Post

But IOS3.1 is going to remind people to give it a week or so...

I lost my 3g to it (genius swap) - and the wife is still on IOS2 on hers!

Keeping your wife on iOS2 is akin to keeping her pregnant and in the kitchen. The feminists would lynch you if they knew. Upgrade her ASAP for the sake of your life!
  • Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdrianJNYC View Post

I can't wait to FINALLY get to play around with the iOS 5 software!

iCloud seem like it's going to work miracle for all Apple users.

For many, true. For many others, it will be confusion at the beginning. Take MacOS X Lion. A perusal through some user groups and you'll see some serious FUD happening. And that's nothing as landscape changing as iCloud.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSJ View Post

And where is AirPrint for any printer? Not a version that I need to go buy a new printer for? Let's get this done, Apple - time to cut the (printer) cord.

Cheers,

Mike

I was just thinking about that this morning. Whatever happened to that feature? Granted I have a printer that works with it, but I don't want that to be criteria for purchasing my next printer.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Still have seen no mention of whether the 20MB download cap will be eliminated, or at least extended.

While someone "cutting the cord" will probably already have an ISP and home WiFi, new users looking to use an iPad as their only device want exactly that -- only 1 device, one data plan, etc... The artificial 20MB limit was already an obsolete idea. IOS 5 would make it archaic.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Having used it a bit, iOS5 is pretty awesome. iOS is pretty much where it needs to be, and ahead of the competition in my eyes, except for the maps app which desperately needs updating. My favourite feature has to be the split keyboard, but there are subtle improvements all around which make it a pleasure to use.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post

was hoping to upgrade before work doesnt look like that will happen.

After downloading the new iTunes at work yesterday and having it download 350 songs to my work Mac in about 5 minutes, I decided that our network connection is much faster than I expected, so I'm sat here at work awaiting the download.

I also have new found admiration for the geeks who make our network work!
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

After downloading the new iTunes at work yesterday and having it download 350 songs to my work Mac in about 5 minutes, I decided that our network connection is much faster than I expected, so I'm sat here at work awaiting the download.

I also have new found admiration for the geeks who make our network work!

I wonder if that admiration is reciprocal
  • Reply 51 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Naboozle View Post

I wonder if that admiration is reciprocal

After I downloaded over 1Gb in five minutes, probably not.
  • Reply 52 of 76
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSJ View Post

And where is AirPrint for any printer? Not a version that I need to go buy a new printer for? Let's get this done, Apple - time to cut the (printer) cord.

Cheers,

Mike

geeze, if you got an old school printer and are too broke to replace it, just buy one of those $10 or less apps that enable printing to any printer via your PC/Mac.

the new AirPrint/wifi printers are a big improvement for any home setup. cost just $180, maybe less. time to keep up with technology. Let's get this done, Mike!
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

geeze, if you got an old school printer and are too broke to replace it, just buy one of those $10 or less apps that enable printing to any printer via your PC/Mac.

the new AirPrint/wifi printers are a big improvement for any home setup. cost just $180, maybe less. time to keep up with technology. Let's get this done, Mike!

I can't remember what it was called, but I downloaded an app for my fathers Mac Mini which sits there happily making it all work - it's a great solution if you don't have $200 lying around for a new printer.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IlikeAppel View Post

I'm an Apple fanboy too and have a long-standing love affair with the company, its products, ethos, and culture, but reading this makes me think the writer is involved (on Apple's behalf) in a middle/high school imbroglio with Microsoft/Android/Palm. It's childish.

That is the author's main appeal. He combines historical knowledge with schoolyard taunts, all prettied up in gobs of affectation.

So long as they keep him away from the hard news stories, he's great.
  • Reply 55 of 76
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

GM builds typically don't expire. However, there's no guarantee that they'll be exactly the same build as the final, released version. Most of the time they are, but I've seen rare cases where the release version is one or two builds higher.

Since the GM build is developer only, I don't think they'd give you a simple way to upgrade should that be the case. A full restore to the release version would likely be the only option. Such is life on the bleeding edge...

By definition, the GM is the final release build. If the public release is different, then it means that the GM moniker was wrong and should instead be referred to as it's release candidate build number.

Which "GM" are you saying differed from the public release?
  • Reply 56 of 76
    rotrot Posts: 1member
    This version of the iPhone software (4.3.5) is the current version. Liar!
  • Reply 57 of 76
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

My company has hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in printers.

Needless to say, I'll be installing software mods on our print servers rather than buying new printers.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    If the Photos app is adding basic editting capabilities to the iPhone like the iPad has, is it also then adding the capability to import photos from cameras via the camera connection kit? Or is Apple artificially restricting that capability in order to try and suck more money out of my wallet? If the iPhone screen is big enough to do editting, it's big enough to load and review photos from my camera, too.
  • Reply 59 of 76
    yeah like some others i wish Apple would allow widget apps. some really are convenient. you could turn them on/off if battery life is an issue for you. they'd take up the space of 4, 6, 8, 9 or 12 apps on the screen. it's my one big disappointment in iOS 5, and the one real user advantage Apple has left for Android and Windows Phone to hype.

Jobs had a real stubborn streak about things like this, and he wasn't always right (no one is). this is likely one consequence of it. the much too overly-restricted Apple TV is likely another.

well ... iOS 6 is just a year away.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

My company has hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in printers.

Needless to say, I'll be installing software mods on our print servers rather than buying new printers.

business office setups are a whole 'nother thing.