Apple rumored to counter Amazon Kindle Fire with 'iPad mini' in 2012

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 133
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Are we auditioning to be an analyst? Because that prediction of how Apple will react to a competing product that hasn't been released yet is classic analyst talk.Lets wait until the Fire is actually released and we have real sales to end user numbers before we start the false rumors that Apple will do anything but be a "honey badger" about the Fire like they have about all the other tablets, phones etc

That's pretty hopeful. Amazon has yet to provide actual sales numbers for any of their products. I'll be very surprised if they actually give real sales numbers for the Fire.
  • Reply 122 of 133
    Of course sooner or later Apple will release 4-4.5 inch iPhone and 6-7" iPad. It is just a matter of time until they will wake up. They do sell MacBooks, iMacs and iPods of various screen sizes. Don't they?

The longer Apple waits, the more market share (and revenue) it looses. Look what happened with iPhones: the 4-5" smartphone vacuum was quickly filled with Androids. Androids have doubled market share while Apple did not make any gains. The same will happend with 5-7" tablets: galaxies and kindles will get foot in the door in this small tablet market and then will expand to the 10" market.

Also in this quickly changing and very competitive industry Apple must come up with new and redesigned mobile products much quicker. I say 4-6 month. 16 month is ridiculously slow and lazy.

Samsung will release end of this year 5.3" phone/micro tablet hybrid device Galaxy Note. I would by one of this kind from Apple if available. If not, Samsung version with Super AMOLED screen and 4G will do.
  • Reply 123 of 133
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yep.

Sure, why not.

lolno.

THERE WILL NEVER BE AN IPHONE 5.

Yep.

Yep.

Does it come with a magnifying glass? Or a POINT?!

There will be an iPhone 5, we just don't know the form factor or configuration. There will also subsequently be an iPhone 6, 7, 8 and so forth, about every 18 months.

The previous iPod nano had a 2" screen and video was fine (albeit tiny). It was great for the youngest kids on road/plane trips - on a device that was cheap enough I didn't care if they broke it.
  • Reply 124 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

There will be an iPhone 5, we just don't know the form factor or configuration. There will also subsequently be an iPhone 6, 7, 8 and so forth

By that logic, you people really need to be whining about when the iPhone 2 will come out.

Because there never has been, nor will there ever be an iPhone 2. Just like there never has been nor will there ever be an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 125 of 133
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

There will be an iPhone 5, we just don't know the form factor or configuration. There will also subsequently be an iPhone 6, 7, 8 and so forth, about every 18 months.

The previous iPod nano had a 2" screen and video was fine (albeit tiny). It was great for the youngest kids on road/plane trips - on a device that was cheap enough I didn't care if they broke it.

I really hope they make a new nano with a video camera. I use my two video nanos all the time for video, and the resolution is fine when played on a retina touch. It's just a strange shape. A square nano would make a great pocket or wearable camera. Somebody has to do it, and Apple usually does it right.

Edit: Back on topic, there are uses for screens and cameras of many sizes. The 7" platform is perfect for personal glasses-free 3D (easy to maintain the sweet spot), and for side-by-side stereo with a two-lensed viewer -- the purest form of 3D. To paraphase Mao, let a thousand platforms bloom, as long as we can iCloud them seamlessly back and forth. Whether Apple sees a market is another matter.
  • Reply 126 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mercury99 View Post

Look what happened with iPhones: the 4-5" smartphone vacuum was quickly filled with Androids. Androids have doubled market share while Apple did not make any gains.

Giving the screen size credit is just silly. Android gained market share mainly for two reasons. First, there are plenty of dirt cheap android phones including many free options with contract. Some of those make the manufacturer a profit, others probably barely any. The 3GS free with contract and $99 4 should make a difference. And second, android phones are available on more carriers, including unlocked versions and ones for month to month. Adding sprint will help, although there's still room to expand in the future.
  • Reply 127 of 133
    i can see them just setting up the iPad category up like the iPhone keeping its older model but much cheaper, iPad 2 will be the mini but cheaper, when iPad 3 launches
  • Reply 128 of 133
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

If you really look at the history, especially of the last few years you will find more examples of Apple and Jobs not really giving a hsit about what the competition was doing or what the loud mouth geeks, blog "experts" and analysts were demanding simply MUST be in this or that product. A real pragmatist would say that ignoring those things isn't very pragmatic. And Steve did it over and over and over. Which is why we still don't have Mac OS or iOS licensed to cloners, still don't have the iPhones unlocked across the board. Still don't have that 60 inch Apple TV, still don't have blu-ray in our computers. Don't have that matte screen on everything. don't have that wacom competing screen or even just stylus and so on

Which explains Apple's amazing success, growth and top-rated customer retention and satisfaction, how? (Just trying to decide if you're praising or blaming)
  • Reply 129 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I've only read the first page of comments but I'm surprised at the negativity here. Now I'm somebody that loves his iPad but also somebody that is open minded enough to see the value in a paper back book sized pad.

Such a device would be an excellent "reader" and even a game machine. However I suspect the big draw would be in industry where iPad can be found to be rather large. What we need is something that provides more screen real estate than a Touch but also reasonably pocketable.

Let me explain what's being said. When posts say "this is bullshit" what they mean is "this rumor is unfounded; Brian White is talking out of his ass" and in some cases, this is followed by an explanation of why. It does not mean "I'm a closed minded, negative fool."
  • Reply 130 of 133
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

By that logic, you people really need to be whining about when the iPhone 2 will come out.

Because there never has been, nor will there ever be an iPhone 2. Just like there never has been nor will there ever be an iPhone 5.

No, methinks you're missing the point. Whatever they decide to call it - iPhone "5" or "6" or "X" there will be another iPhone in the near future, probably early in 2012, and then another one after that 12-18 months later, and so on and so on.
  • Reply 131 of 133
    Quote:

another iPhone in the near future, probably early in 2012

Nonsense. And the name (via number) was exactly the point you were making. The point was made by the choice to continue the numbering scheme.
  • Reply 132 of 133
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

Spot on.

May get iPod Touch with a larger screen next year to combat the Fire, PSP, etc. Hope so.

Word...

Folks, I have said it once before and I will say it again. Apple will come out with a hybrid iPod Touch and iPad mutant with a 7" screen. Hop on the band wagon guys or we are going to miss the train.
  • Reply 133 of 133
    . . .would be a very good idea.

There IS a gaping (yes, gaping) hole in the line between touch and iPad. I never want to read anything for long on the touch; the iPad is sometimes too big for certain reading sessions. A reader-sized Apple offering would find its niche as sure as night follows day. Believe it or not, there are people who are perfectly happy with a 6" reader as their "device" of choice, to the exclusion of other form factors.

All the above posters who swear it will never happen obviously have not held a Samsung Galaxy Tab in their hands and used it for an extended period of time. Listen: It works as a form factor, and I never would have thought so if I hadn't tried it. Steve may be proven wrong in this case.