Apple issues Mac OS X 10.7.2 update with iCloud support

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Could anyone explain the size of this?

Scrap that actually, I just noticed iPhoto is over 700MB. Why so big?

Photo belies the claim.
  • Reply 42 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

I don't recall them mentioning delta updates for OS X, only iOS, but I could be wrong there. Even if it were a delta update, I don't think it's unreasonable for this update to be this large. iCloud forces them to change the underlying architecture of just about everything in the system.

The previous update to 10.7.1 was actually a delta update coming in at 17MB for my MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 43 of 82
    is the new data center in NC pushing out billions of bytes to all of us trying to update Lion, iTunes, iPads and iPhones. If it survives today it is truly hardened.
  • Reply 44 of 82
    Anyone else having problems with 10.7.2? I installed the update and have been looking at a grey screen with the black spinning wheel for at least 30 minutes now... any advice?
  • Reply 45 of 82
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jakecdemp View Post

Anyone else having problems with 10.7.2? I installed the update and have been looking at a grey screen with the black spinning wheel for at least 30 minutes now... any advice?

Info please? What kind of Mac? Were you updating from 10.7.1? Combo update or via Software Update?
  • Reply 46 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

So much for delta updates.

What? I can't hear you!
  • Reply 47 of 82
    Maybe I'm missing the point of the web interface of iCloud. No photo icon to view the PhotoStream via the web? No way to view documents except if you've purchased Pages / Numbers / Keynote? How about I buy their 50GB package - how do I store videos / PDF's on there for viewing anywhere?

I love the idea of everything syncing and being available on all devices but it seems rather limited in terms of choosing what you can store.
  • Reply 48 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Info please? What kind of Mac? Were you updating from 10.7.1? Combo update or via Software Update?

Yep, sorry- Late 2009 MBP Updating from 10.7.1 via software update- the grey wheel was just spinning for close to an hour. I finally just rebooted and it worked itself out, although it took several minutes to restart the second time.
  • Reply 49 of 82
    25 Mb/s ftth connection, and it is saying 3 hours to download updates.

How can you want your stuff in iCloud if they can't manage this update????
  • Reply 50 of 82
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frankinden View Post

25 Mb/s ftth connection, and it is saying 3 hours to download updates.

How can you want your stuff in iCloud if they can't manage this update????

Somebody's a shouter. Little man, big font, perhaps?

You're right. You don't want your stuff in the cloud. If I were you, I wouldn't use it. Luckily for me, Im not you. And I love it.
  • Reply 51 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Beats the crap out of me. They want all Mac users to upgrade to Lion (even if costs them thousands)? The rumor back in August was that an incremental Snow Leopard update would include an iCloud preference pane, but this nowhere in sight as of today, and the official word is Lion only. Then we see that Apple is supporting iCloud in Vista, so that's just insult added to injury.

It is, indeed. Of the six machines in use in my family, four are in 10.6.8, and two in 10.7.

It is really stupid on Apple's part if they don't address this soon. iCloud (not even including all the problems being reported by those with iOS devices) will be one massive fail, at least initially.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachB10 View Post

Maybe I'm missing the point of the web interface of iCloud. No photo icon to view the PhotoStream via the web? No way to view documents except if you've purchased Pages / Numbers / Keynote? How about I buy their 50GB package - how do I store videos / PDF's on there for viewing anywhere?

I love the idea of everything syncing and being available on all devices but it seems rather limited in terms of choosing what you can store.

This is what it all seems like to me too.

So far, things seem a bit disjointed and poorly coordinated/explained.

Let's seriously hope that this sort of thing does not become associated with the Tim Cook era. People exaggeratedly remember (and associate) such snafus.
  • Reply 53 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

This is what it all seems like to me too.

So far, things seem a bit disjointed and poorly coordinated/explained.

Let's seriously hope that this sort of thing does not become associated with the Tim Cook era. People exaggeratedly remember (and associate) such snafus.

Thanks. I was hoping it wasn't just me.

I really like the web version of iCloud - there just needs to be more there. I mean, doesn't it make sense to be able to view the photos already there?

I know they're getting rid of iDisk but hopefully there's something that can replace it - I'd sign up for their highest plan immediately if I had a feeling I could use it. I just don't see any need or actually, a way to use it, other than backing up my iPhone / iPad etc. in the cloud. I'd store a large chunk of my photo library on there.

I have tons of PDF's and videos and other file formats I'd like to see available and stored on there too, just no way to upload them.

Edit - also, it sucks not being able to delete individual photos out of your photo stream. Take a photo on your iPhone that you don't want on all your devices? I've yet to find a way to delete an individual photo without resetting the entire stream, then turning off photo stream to delete the pictures on each device, then turning it back on.
  • Reply 54 of 82
    dgg32dgg32 Posts: 10member
    Does the combo update contain the lion recovery update? Or do I have to separately download it too? Thanks for reply!!
  • Reply 55 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

So it's official... iCloud is supported in Windows Vista but not Snow Leopard. Cool.

My thoughts precisely. I have the first-gen MacBook that can't be upgraded past Snow Leopard (a Core Duo I gots; a Core 2 Duo I needs).
  • Reply 56 of 82
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I updated to 10.7.2 and now iChat doesn't work for me. It keeps telling me iChat can't communicate with the account "AIM"

Anyone else having issues with iChat?

EDIT: Fixed it! You need to go into iChat Preferences, then Server Settings and uncheck the box next to Use SSL.
  • Reply 57 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

11C73 was never indicated as the GM build

Actually, it did. It specifically said GM in the release notes.
  • Reply 58 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

On the Mac mini

+700MB of 10.7.2 downloaded, 25 minutes to go Edit: It now says 30minutes...

iOS5 just finished

On the MacBook Pro however it says 3 hours to go...

Edit: I think it is getting slower so I cancelled it.

Well it picked up speed shortly after, and ended up finishing the download in about 20-30 min.
  • Reply 59 of 82
    I think Apple wants to ring out their new data center. It would be nice if we could download a package with 10.7.2, iOS 5, iPhoto, recovery HD and take it to all the computers I'll have to update
  • Reply 60 of 82
    The iCloud works pretty well for what it does so far. I don't have a iOS device yet to test it (Friday) but you can log on at iCloud.com and see that changes you make on your Mac are there.

One thing that I can't seem to fix: I logged onto iCloud and there was a chance to get a @me.com email. I filled that in and the email setup automatically in Mail. But I can not change my AppleID to that @me.com email because it says it is already associated with a MobileMe acct. I didn't have MobileMe. I can also log in with my new @me.com email address as the AppleID and the same password as the old email and it logs on fine but the ID name in the corner always goes back to the old email. Sorry if bad explanation. Anyone run into that?