Gizmodo editors escape indictment but called "juvenile" in iPhone 4 prototype case

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grlym View Post

Brian Lam posted a rather remarkable account of what impact these events had on him, and on his ongoing relationship with Steve Jobs. He sent Jobs a major apology just before Jobs died. This is one of the best personal tributes to Jobs that I have come across.

http://thewirecutter.com/2011/10/ste...of-an-asshole/

Wow. Just, wow. Sent him a letter congratulating him on having the balls to admit his failings. Not very common these days when everyone's first instinct is to protect themselves at all costs.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Gizmodo is an embarrassment to tech 'reporting.'

Gizmodo is an embarrassment to whiny fanboy blogging.
  • Reply 43 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by philipm View Post

In the car business, spotting a prototype before it's ready to prime time and publishing scoop pix to the embarrassment of the manufacturer is part of the game. Apple should not be so paranoid about this, and anyone finding an Apple product ahead of launch should be free to publicise it. But not be difficult about giving it back.

Point taken, but in this case, instead of snapping a photo of a car that wasn't being concealed properly, they found one with the engine running and drove off with it. The difference is between privacy and theft. If you don't conceal your new product, you can't expect it to stay a secret [private], however, under no circumstances is it acceptable to walk off with an item you <know> isn't yours or accept said goods from someone else [theft].
  • Reply 44 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jonamac View Post

There was no mistake. It was a phone that nobody had seen up to that point. It was clearly a prototype. It had an Apple logo on the back. If I found an iPhone I'd never seen before in my life in a bar and it had an Apple logo on the back...I'd know it was probably Apple's. Did they know who the owner was 'likely to be' (AI's words, not necessarily the official definition)? Yes, absolutely.

Sorry, but getting from "I haven't seen this model of phone before" to "it must be a secret prototype" is just too large of a leap. I can't picture a court buying that.

But, as I said, it doesn't matter in this case because they can't use that defense, anyway. They tried to extort money from Apple so they knew it belonged to Apple.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

In the case of the house raid on Chen's house, there was probable cause. So no illegal action by Apple - or do the facts of the matter get in the way of your attitude?

Do you know anything about that or do you simply watch too much television? Somehow I think it's the latter.