AppleCare+ offer extended to iPhone 4 and 4S pre-orders until Nov. 14

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple is offering customers who pre-ordered the new 8GB iPhone 4 or the iPhone 4S an extended opportunity until Nov. 14 to buy an AppleCare+ warranty for their device.

Some customers who had pre-ordered a new handset on Oct. 7 through the Apple Store, had reported that AppleCare+ was not available for purchase, TUAW reports. The site had received numerous e-mails from Apple's customers asking how to add the warranty to an existing order, but no definitive answer had been available.

Apple previously announced that the new warranty coverage, which takes the place of AppleCare, would only be available at the time of purchase. The new plan adds, for the first time, coverage of up to two accidental damage claims for $49 an incident.

TUAW said that it had received reports that customers who hadn't been given the option to buy AppleCare+ when they pre-ordered were now receiving emails from Apple allowing them to purchase the extended coverage.

Apple reportedly explained in the email that the warranty will be available for purchase on iPhone 4 (8 GB) and iPhone 4S orders until Nov. 14. It goes on to direct customers to call AppleCare after they receive their devices in the mail.

The message was originally thought to be part of a phishing scheme, but the publication indicated it believes the e-mails are legitimate, citing the fact that the subject line of the message contains the customer's actual order number, and originates from an address within the domain "apple.com."

The report included the entire text of the e-mail received by several of its readers:

Dear Apple Customer,

Thank you for your recent iPhone purchase at the Apple Online Store.

We would like to let you know that every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee.

We noticed you weren't given the opportunity to add AppleCare+ to your iPhone. If you would like to extend your coverage for only $99, please reply to this email.

Thank you for shopping with Apple.

Sincerely,

Apple Online Store Team

Apple announced on Monday that it had received a record one million pre-orders for the iPhone 4S in the first 24 hours of availability. Faced with overwhelming demand, both Apple and its carrier partners experienced minor hiccups when launching the pre-orders late last week.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Uhh Huh. Uhhhh HUH!. UUUHHHHHHH. HUUUUUHHH. Im smart.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I did AT&T after being assured, by Apple Genius, that it would not deny me any protections normally available through Apple.com.

Does anyone know whether I can get AppleCare+ as an ATT pre-order?

iPhone4S BLK 64GB --- I hope
  • Reply 3 of 19
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gooddog View Post

I did AT&T after being assured, by Apple Genius, that it would not deny me any protections normally available through Apple.com.

Does anyone know whether I can get AppleCare+ as an ATT pre-order?

iPhone4S BLK 64GB --- I hope

I don't know about as a pre-order but AT&T did the sell the packaged AppleCare product int heir stores and online previously. I assume they'll do the same with the new product.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I didn't have the opportunity to order AppleCare+ when I ordered mine. I saw the "at the time of purchase" statement before, but I wasn't too worried and figured Apple would make good on allowing a later purchase. And they did.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    I did not initially buy apple care last time when I picked up my iphone at the AT&T store. I went back a week later and bought it. I think you have 30 days(not possitive so check) to add it to your phone no matter if you buy it from Apple or AT&T. In fact I am pretty sure you can buy the plan from Apple online even if you bought the phone at AT&T.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    The problem with ordering Apple Care+ is that it was located lower down on the ordering page, out of sight for most customers. It's just a matter of a poor layout. It took me a bit of time to find it myself. The "submit order" button was also in an unexpected position on the page, to the upper right on the order form. The page lacked logical flow.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Anybody have any idea when AC+ will be available here in Canada?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

...or the rest of the world....
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whatisgoingon View Post

It's available in Canada if you order online. Don't think it's available if you order via Rogers or Bell.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    I ordered an unlocked iPhone 4s from the Canadian Store only to find out later that Siri is not included. Several hours later I cancelled deciding to wait for the US unlocked model.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    AppleCare+ also not available on Verizon's site....
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Dear Mr. *yeahhappiness*,

Thank you for taking the time to e-mail AT&T regarding your wireless service. My name is Nick Stewart, and I am happy to help you with your inquiry.

AppleCare+ will not be available until 10/14/11. It will be sold only in Company Owned Retail Locations at the point of sale. Once you receive your iPhone 4S, you may visit a Retail Store to add the feature.

Mr. *yeahhappiness*, should you have additional concerns or questions about this issue please reply to this email. If you need to contact us again regarding a new issue please send us another email via the contact link through your online account. Again, my name is Nick Stewart, and I thank you for being a valued AT&T customer for several years. We will do our best to ensure that your wireless experience is a success.

I encourage you to visit our web site (www.att.com/wireless) often to view current and previous monthly statements, make payments and to shop for new product and service offerings.

Sincerely,

Nick Stewart

AT&T

Online Customer Care Professional
  • Reply 13 of 19
    While trying to upgrade my iPad 2 yesterday to IOS 5 I was advised that it did not have an Apple care program and that I should consider purchasing one. It sounds like Apple is focused on selling warranty and care packages. Hey guys fix your IOS problem. Making sales pitches when you are trying to role out a poorly planned upgrade is not the way to go.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shred View Post

I did not initially buy apple care last time when I picked up my iphone at the AT&T store. I went back a week later and bought it. I think you have 30 days(not possitive so check) to add it to your phone no matter if you buy it from Apple or AT&T. In fact I am pretty sure you can buy the plan from Apple online even if you bought the phone at AT&T.

No. The original Applecare can be added to a device anytime during the initial year of warranty. This applies to phones, tablets and computers.

This new Applecare+ seems to remove that option. I hope I can choose to buy the standard Applecare instead. This was one of the greatest advantages of buying an Apple device. You were not forced to buy the extended warranty at the time of purchase. This definitely deserves a big fat BOOOOOO!!!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by swift93 View Post

I ordered an unlocked iPhone 4s from the Canadian Store only to find out later that Siri is not included. Several hours later I cancelled deciding to wait for the US unlocked model.

That's 100% pure FUD. Actually, it's an outright lie.

Siri is included on iPhone 4S shipped in Canada. However, there are limitations. First, *Canadian* is not one of the language options. Well, I am sure Canadians can fake American accents

But, more importantly, Siri cannot answer questions about directions, restaurants in Canada. Hopefully that will come with time.
  • Reply 16 of 19
    heedheed Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Harbinger View Post

It's available in Canada if you order online. Don't think it's available if you order via Rogers or Bell.

Canada only has regular Applecare, not Applecare+

I know because I ordered two iPhone 4S. I just checked again now and they only offer regular Applecare.
  • Reply 17 of 19
    I called Apple yesterday and the lady told me since I did not have the option to buy AC+ on my pre-order of the iPhone 4S, then I should just bring it in to the Apple Store and they will add AppleCare+ on to my phone. She said I must do this on the day I receive it (ugh) and I really do not want to battle the crowds at my Apple Store on Friday. Will post on update once I get my phone.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scades View Post

AppleCare+ also not available on Verizon's site....

This should apply no matter where the phone was pre-ordered from in the US. Dunno about my other North American friends and abroad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

"Note: AppleCare+ will be available through November 14, 2011, to customers who pre-ordered iPhone 4 (8GB) and iPhone 4S. After you receive your new iPhone, contact us at 1-800-275-2273 to purchase AppleCare+."

I'm not waiting for an email. They're gonna get a call the moment UPS drops off my devices.

Edit: I saw no equivalent product on store.apple.com/ca
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

This should apply no matter where the phone was pre-ordered from in the US. Dunno about my other North American friends and abroad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575

"Note: AppleCare+ will be available through November 14, 2011, to customers who pre-ordered iPhone 4 (8GB) and iPhone 4S. After you receive your new iPhone, contact us at 1-800-275-2273 to purchase AppleCare+."

I'm not waiting for an email. They're gonna get a call the moment UPS drops off my devices.

Edit: I saw no equivalent product on store.apple.com/ca

I never received any email from apple about Applecare+. Also, when I ordered the 4S, the option was not available. All in all, rather disappointing.