Apple thanks employees with extended paid Thanksgiving holiday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    Unfortunately AppleCare phone reps don't get to benefit from this. And they comprise a large portion of Apple's employees. They'll get to take time off later, but almost certainly not a contiguous week.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    If you are going to copy Apple (read the Asian rim mindset) don't try to sell your knock-offs in the US. You might be able to get way with it on Asia rim but not on our turf (the west). oh and btw we don't want you as our supplier either. Very big mistake. Samsung will be bankrupt in 5 years yes? and we are going after your HDTV market soon so be worried
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Askew View Post

Just because Steve Jobs didn't want to do things Bill Gate' way (with all of the attending publicity) doesn't mean that Jobs didn't give "to charity" in his own way.

I don't think I'll have to worry about it, but if Bill Gates asked me to publicly donate money to charity, I would turn him down too.

I actually give a fairly high percentage of my disposable income (and time) to organizations like our local homeless shelter and children's home, but I would be appalled if someone wanted to publicize it. I don't do things for publicity or so that people will think highly of me. I do them because they are the right thing to do and I have a passion for doing them. And when I give toward anything where they want to publish the names of the donors, I always insist upon anonymity, or I don't contribute. Avoiding any publicity keeps my motives in check. I also don't particularly care what others think about me. (I never had the impression that Steve Jobs cared much about what the public thought of him personally.)

As an apprentice of Jesus, according to his teaching, I give as secretly as possible so as not to get caught up in the trap of doing things for the approval of others. I don't think Jobs was a follower of Jesus (Buddhism seems to be his choice), but there is common wisdom there.

However, I don't pretend to know Jobs' motives, but I think people need to give him the benefit of the doubt and realize there are many ways people give of themselves and their resources that don't fit with the agendas of fundraisers and publicity hounds.

How does JC feel about talking about it on an internet forum?
  • Reply 24 of 25
    askewaskew Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

How does JC feel about talking about it on an internet forum?

I'm anonymous here. Askew is not my name.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Good for Apple . More companies need to take a page from their book. It takes a lot more than people realize to essentially pay an entire company to take a weekend off. I'm sure it's well deserved as well.