First look: Setting up the new iPhone 4S with iOS 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    the phone on the website shows two separate lines at top

i have single with a camera next to it (black)

are the white 4s and black 4s different?? go to apple and see the iphone page

if thats the case won't an otterbox ip4 fit the black ip4s??

also this was easy peazy to set up

my biggest issue was the time it took to transfer all my kids games

then i deleted a bunch to save space

i diln't know that "oregon trails" took over a gb of space.....delete that one right off

(hey kids use your touch)

my big question is iCloud

i want it but

do i need 10.7 to use it i'm running updated snow leopard on my macbook
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

i have single with a camera next to it (black)

Take a picture.

The iPhone 4S has two regardless of what model you buy.

Quote:

if thats the case won't an otterbox ip4 fit the black ip4s??

Not if the OtterBox is designed for the AT&T one, I wouldn't imagine.

Quote:

my big question is iCloud

i want it but

do i need 10.7 to use it i'm running updated snow leopard on my macbook

Of course you need 10.7.2 for iCloud.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Doesn't everyone who signs up for iCloud get an @me.com email address?

So, just sign up with your current Apple ID account, create your @me.com address, change the email address on your Apple ID account, which is not a big deal to do, to your @me.com address. (Your Apple ID is not your email address, that's just an easy to remember identifier, like uid/user) Maybe I misread the problem?

I think the problem really arises if you already have an AppleID for iTunes and a different me.com account/email address. You can't add your existing me.com address to your other AppleID account - it cannot be verified on more than one account.

You can work around it by loading both accounts into your iPhone.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895
  • Reply 24 of 38
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

iCloud is great, but also a pain in the butt.

I really wish there was a way to:

Convert My Apple ID to a me.COM e-mail address

A lot of people have their GMail address as their Apple ID, but would love a free, new, push and ad-free me.COM e-mail address for Mail and Apple's new services.

The whole thing is way too fiddly and complex for existing Apple ID users. And, frankly, very un-Apple.

- - -

It's funny, new-to-Apple users have a much simpler set up. And can snap up a me.com Apple ID and e-mail address worry-free.

This is not an issue for anyone. Anyone can set up an iCloud account and use it in conjunction with their iTunes account.

The fact that your iTunes account wasn't an Apple ID to begin with isn't Apple's fault/problem. It became apparent years ago (not just now with iCloud) that having an Apple ID as an iTunes account was the smart way to go...and they're only reinforcing it.

By now you could have moved to a single ID.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wisniak View Post

Thank you, RichL.

Was your iPhone jailbroken?

No, not jailbroken.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:

iCloud is great, but also a pain in the butt.

I really wish there was a way to:

Convert My Apple ID to a me.COM e-mail address

A lot of people have their GMail address as their Apple ID, but would love a free, new, push and ad-free me.COM e-mail address for Mail and Apple's new services.

The whole thing is way too fiddly and complex for existing Apple ID users. And, frankly, very un-Apple.

- - -

It's funny, new-to-Apple users have a much simpler set up. And can snap up a me.com Apple ID and e-mail address worry-free.

I don't get why you say this it's too complex? Has Apple ID change policy changed recently? I changed my Apple ID from Hotmail to Gmail about 4 months ago and it was easy as pie. The only thing you have to do is type in your new Apple ID and verify the three-digit security code for your credit card.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

This is not an issue for anyone. Anyone can set up an iCloud account and use it in conjunction with their iTunes account.

The fact that your iTunes account wasn't an Apple ID to begin with isn't Apple's fault/problem.

You have no clue what you are talking about, Fanboy.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

I don't get why you say this it's too complex? Has Apple ID change policy changed recently? I changed my Apple ID from Hotmail to Gmail about 4 months ago and it was easy as pie. The only thing you have to do is type in your new Apple ID and verify the three-digit security code for your credit card.

If it's so easy... Go here and detail how it works...

https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...MyAppleId.woa/
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:

But in iTunes:

• Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

If you try to create a me.com e-mail address through iOS 5 or System Prefs in 10.7.2 Apple creates a new Apple ID for it.

You can login in to "appleid.apple.com" and if you have a GMail address as your Apple ID you can change/edit that Apple ID and e-mail address in one box to any e-mail address you like - with one exemption: me.com addresses, because Apple considers them a separate Apple ID.

This is too complex and very un-Apple.

Those of you who don't get this, don't get Apple.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Banalltv View Post

Take my wife. Please.

Funniest thing I've seen all day! Thanks for the mood-lift.

Noo, don't apologise.

Yeah, but where is the liquid metal sim ejector tool?
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Quote:

But in iTunes:

Go here, https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...localang=en_US, and you can change it.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

Go here, https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/We...localang=en_US, and you can change it.

You can, but not if the email address that you want to change it to is an existing me.com address verified on a different account. That's the problem for most people in this situation I believe.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

You can, but not if the email address that you want to change it to is an existing me.com address verified on a different account. That's the problem for most people in this situation I believe.

Can you change it to any email address -- not an @me.com address -- that's already on a different account? I've never tried to do that, but I'd think probably not. Otherwise, how would they know which account you were trying to log into, or which password to verify against?

It seems to me that there has to be a one-to-one relationship between Apple ID accounts and email addresses.

Edit: You could probably have multiple email addresses point to a single Apple ID account (if Apple wanted to allow it to work that way) but you can't have two accounts pointed to by a single email address.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    This too is what I'm trying to get answered. While setting up iOS 5, when you choose to log in using an existing apple ID, do you get a new me.com email address or not???? I think that's what the confusion is for the original poster.

For example, In my situation, I have an apple ID which is [email protected]. I have been using using this for years in App Store, iTunes, etc. I never had mobileme, .Mac, etc on this account. However I also want an icloud me.com eMail address. In the process of setting up icloud on my iPhone with my existing [email protected] apple ID, will I be offered the opportunity to create a new me.com address and have it "tied" to my existing apple ID "[email protected]"??? Or in the process of creating this new [email protected] address will it also create a new apple ID named "[email protected]" separate from my existing "[email protected]"???
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mactropolis View Post

This too is what I'm trying to get answered. While setting up iOS 5, when you choose to log in using an existing apple ID, do you get a new me.com email address or not???? I think that's what the confusion is for the original poster.

For example, In my situation, I have an apple ID which is [email protected]. I have been using using this for years in App Store, iTunes, etc. I never had mobileme, .Mac, etc on this account. However I also want an icloud me.com eMail address. In the process of setting up icloud on my iPhone with my existing [email protected] apple ID, will I be offered the opportunity to create a new me.com address and have it "tied" to my existing apple ID "[email protected]"??? Or in the process of creating this new [email protected] address will it also create a new apple ID named "[email protected]" separate from my existing "[email protected]"???

You have to have a me.com address for the account, so if you are not migrating an existing me.com address then, yes, you will be prompted to choose a new me.com address. That bit works just fine.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

No, you can't. Not to an @me ID. Or not from an @me ID.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

You have to have a me.com address for the account, so if you are not migrating an existing me.com address then, yes, you will be prompted to choose a new me.com address. That bit works just fine.

Thanks for your info. Just to be crystal clear, you are claiming that during the setup process of iOS 5 on my iPhone 4, if I choose the option to use my existing Apple ID ([email protected]), that I will still be prompted to create a new [email protected] e-mail address --- however that new me.com e-mail address will be "tied" to my existing Apple ID (username @gmail.com)? In other words, the new [email protected] will just be another e-mail address "on-file" of my existing Apple ID ([email protected])??