Apple's 2012 iPhone was last project where Steve Jobs was "intimately involved"

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    First:

Quote:

Nevertheless, Kumar expects the combination of the new iPhone 4S and earlier model to combine for sales of 20.2 million units during Apple's fiscal fourth quarter ending December. That would put the Cupertino-based company just marginally shy of its record 20.34 million units shipped during the previous quarter.

Then:

Quote:

The analyst also expects Apple to shatter both quarters of iPhone performance during the company's fiscal first quarter ending December, predicting record shipments of 27 million units.

I think you meant to say "20.2 million units during Apple's fiscal fourth quarter ending in September." Apple's fiscal year goes from October 1 to September 30. Otherwise, the second quoted section makes zero sense.

However, the iPhone 4S will have absolutely no impact on Q4, because sales didn't start until October 14th. So the first statement is also still nonsensical.

I believe Kumar has been quoted elsewhere claiming that 4S sales will have a positive impact on last quarter, which is literally impossible. He's an idiot. You need to stop quoting him. Giving credence to that moron only lessens your credibility.
  • Reply 22 of 60
    This much can be assumed:

1. Steve Jobs put his heart and soul into everything he did.

2. He was intimately involved in every project he worked on, including, you can be sure, the iPhone 4S.

3. He was intimately involved in all major ongoing Apple projects, which undoubtedly include the next iPhone, the next iPad, the next Apple TV, the next OS and iOS, and the next Macs.

I would not expect the next iPhone to be a "complete redesign" unless that term is broad enough to include the transition from iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4. I would expect the greatest change in the 2012 iPhone to be in the software and usability, much of which may be compatible with the iPhone 4 and 4S hardware. And, of course, the iPhone will keep getting thinner.
  • Reply 23 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post

The iPhone 6SJ?

I think it's time to stop the enumeration of the iPhone models and move to a "pro" type delineation, similar to the Mac line. Possibly iPhone, iPhone S, and iPhone Pro?
  • Reply 24 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

I think it's time to stop the enumeration of the iPhone models and move to a "pro" type delineation, similar to the Mac line. Possibly iPhone, iPhone S, and iPhone Pro?

Nope.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

And don't forget, iOS itself will always have his design influence as the guidelines were created with his input.

Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?

Please... iOS has kept to its roots and kept everything simple efficient. This is one reason why it just keeps selling despite the claims of iHaters and trolls.

Android and WP7 tries to attract those that feel the need to constantly change for the sake of changing.

Thank goodness Apple pays zero attention to the ramblings of folks that need changes after their 5-minute attention-span has run out.
  • Reply 26 of 60
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    "For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

Huh?

So because this is the last 'Steve involved phone', Apple will never be able to improve beyond it?

And Apple has no chance of taking a bigger bite out of the market represented by the 90% of world-wide users who still don't have an advanced phone?

What drugs is this guy on?
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacInsider2 View Post

Of course the challenge is that iOS is really looking quite dated, especially against Windows Phone 7.

Really impressed by anything new, aren't we?

Here's some shiny jingly keys for you.
  • Reply 28 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

EEEWWWWW!!!

Award for bad idea of the century.

"Pro" usually designated the end of line....

"We can't think of any new real improvements, so we'll tag this stupid 'Pro' designator on it and cash in our options.

What would be 'Pro' about a phone?... ability to make robocalls?
  • Reply 29 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

If this is true, then the next iPhone should be called the "iPhone Steve Jobs" in his honor. Seriously. I'd buy it.

How about calling it "iPhone Commemorative"...

Instead of the Apple logo on back, a laser etched profile image of Steve.

And the next iPhone can be iPhone 7, will be the seventh phone released and the phone "number" to the actual phone release year will be back on track and harmony and karma will all be balanced again!

/

/

/
  • Reply 30 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I think there is some truth to this talk but not complete truth.

yes the iPhone 2012 was likely the last item that Steve was involved in from first design to final. I believe this because it would take roughly 9-12 months for testing etc so that would be starting around now.

I also believe that Steve wasn't that involved in the design of the iPhone 4S during this past year or so because there was less need for it. Not because he knew he could drop dead at any moment.

What I don't believe is the implication that the iPhone 2012 is the last thing Steve touched. That's just not plausible. Products take 3-5 to develop to the point of a first full design. Steve may not have finished a number of products but he likely did start them. And everyone knew where he wanted to go and will go that direction. Out of respect if nothing else

1) By "his time was limited", I don't think they necessarily mean that he "could drop dead at any moment". The time of a CEO of his calibre is probably limited anyway, but this was probably exacerbated by his health problems.

2) I think the article is saying that the 2012 iPhone was the last thing he touched from start to finish. At least as far as "finished" means in the world of unreleased products. The next-gen iPhone is probably mostly finished at this point in terms of the design, specs, etc. The things that will be bulletpoints at WWDC 2012's keynote are already settled. Other big projects (next version of the Mac OS?) have probably gotten started but will not be polished and nit-picked by SJ.

3) BTW, that would be nice if it came out at WWDC instead of October 2012! That would help those who were disappointed at the "incremental" update of the 4S. By October 2012, early iPhone 4 customers will have been using their phones for 27 months! But that would seem to throw off their rhythm of March iPad, June WWDC, October iPhone.
  • Reply 31 of 60
    Try Mango, its pretty damn nice. Its a lot smoother than Android, and the home screen has updating "icons" that you create for different things (apps, contacts, widget, photostream, etc), while you just swipe right for your typical apps listings.

As an iPhone user since 2G (my 4S is on its way to replace my 4 -- upgrading b/c of the Camera), and not being a fan of the Android OS, or its new "bigger is better" form factor (although those AMOLED screens are pretty nice), it was quite refreshing to see the home screen of the Windows Mango phone update with information streaming from several sources, be it Weather, Stocks, Facebook, Emails, Twitter, Photos, etc., etc. Plus the smoothness of the everything matches iOS, and they have tiny animations that works without intrustion between different actions/events.

That being said, I may look for a cheap Windows phone unlocked as my travel phone, but most likely not because I usually take a lot of pictures on my travels (i.e. iPhone 4S).

Anyways, check it out, it is refreshing to see something new working decently like that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by j1h15233 View Post

What exactly about Windows 7 is making iOS look outdated?

• Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Please... iOS has kept to its roots and kept everything simple efficient. This is one reason why it just keeps selling despite the claims of iHaters and trolls.

Android and WP7 tries to attract those that feel the need to constantly change for the sake of changing.

Thank goodness Apple pays zero attention to the ramblings of folks that need changes after their 5-minute attention-span has run out.

I'm a big fan of Apple's products, but iOS is getting a bit dated. Don't get me wrong - iOS 5 is an awesome upgrade. It's extremely well-rounded and would be my recommendation for 90% of my friends. But the whole "enormous page of app shortcuts" layout is getting tired. It is far from "simple and efficient" when you've got 100+ apps, and the only thing to organize/clean them is to drag them one-by-one into folders of no more than 12 apps.

I would prefer a more OS X-like approach of "Here are your most essential apps (Dock), but the rest of them are kept out of sight until you need them". I mean, who organizes their Mac with 100+ shortcuts on their desktop? I would also like a Menu-bar like functionality where you can quickly set bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc. right away.
  • Reply 33 of 60
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"This was the last project that Steve Jobs was intimately involved from concept to final design," he said. "For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

I have always wonder how many "work hours" Steve used to put in each week to do all of this? With his CEO responsibilities, along with being so intimately involved with new product(s), and finding time for his family where did he find all of this time...
  • Reply 34 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Apple changes when there is a real need to change -- not as the wind blows as stated by @sflocal. They have a reputation for cycles of products that evolve for several iterations and then maybe a redesign. It is almost never for the sake of the sake of just itself.

I have confidence that the 2012 iJobs phone will have some styling diffs, maybe the larger screen and a faster processor (since the ++A5 processor will be out). I would expect more than cosmetics though like longer batter life (read better tuned QualComm chip) and maybe newer jellyroll batteries. I would think it will continue some of the steps and make it flow a bit better since quite a lot has been added over the ages -- but I do see somewhat of a change more like to system 7+ than System 9 -> OS X.

just me two cents...
  • Reply 35 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rebe1 View Post

Try Mango, its pretty damn nice. Its a lot smoother than Android, and the home screen has updating "icons" that you create for different things (apps, contacts, widget, photostream, etc), while you just swipe right for your typical apps listings.

As an iPhone user since 2G (my 4S is on its way to replace my 4 -- upgrading b/c of the Camera), and not being a fan of the Android OS, or its new "bigger is better" form factor (although those AMOLED screens are pretty nice), it was quite refreshing to see the home screen of the Windows Mango phone update with information streaming from several sources, be it Weather, Stocks, Facebook, Emails, Twitter, Photos, etc., etc. Plus the smoothness of the everything matches iOS, and they have tiny animations that works without intrustion between different actions/events.

That being said, I may look for a cheap Windows phone unlocked as my travel phone, but most likely not because I usually take a lot of pictures on my travels (i.e. iPhone 4S).

Anyways, check it out, it is refreshing to see something new working decently like that.

Sounds interesting, but also sounds like a battery/data drain.
  • Reply 36 of 60
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I suggest iPhone 5
  • Reply 37 of 60
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"For that reason and cutting edge features this product will establish the high water mark for iPhone volumes."

Huh?

So because this is the last 'Steve involved phone', Apple will never be able to improve beyond it?

And Apple has no chance of taking a bigger bite out of the market represented by the 90% of world-wide users who still don't have an advanced phone?

What drugs is this guy on?

No he isn't saying anything like that. "Establishing the high water mark" means that a new bar will be set w/the next iPhone, which has been the case w/pretty much every iPhone that has ever been released. There is nothing saying it will set a mark that will never be able to be reached again.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    I was going to take this seriously until I saw the source: Ashtok Kumar. He doesn't know shit. He's little more than an overpaid blogger.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I suggest iPhone 5

You also suggested that BMW follow the 330 with the 331.
  • Reply 40 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I'm a big fan of Apple's products, but iOS is getting a bit dated. Don't get me wrong - iOS 5 is an awesome upgrade. It's extremely well-rounded and would be my recommendation for 90% of my friends. But the whole "enormous page of app shortcuts" layout is getting tired. It is far from "simple and efficient" when you've got 100+ apps, and the only thing to organize/clean them is to drag them one-by-one into folders of no more than 12 apps.

I would prefer a more OS X-like approach of "Here are your most essential apps (Dock), but the rest of them are kept out of sight until you need them". I mean, who organizes their Mac with 100+ shortcuts on their desktop? I would also like a Menu-bar like functionality where you can quickly set bluetooth, Wi-Fi, etc. right away.

I think much of what you suggest is absolutely unworkable in a small form factor. Take your idea of a dock, for example: a true dock is not workable on a small display because size so arbitrarily limits the number of items it can contain that it is not very useful. The solution to that problem often entails making the dock an expandable region, but in real terms, it then becomes just another of the 'pages' of icons you complain about.

Menus, too, sound like a great idea... but in practice they are too small in a small format device to be useful, and end up providing a really poor user experience.

Apple has provided you with a tool to allow you to organize your applications as you see fit, and easily: iTunes. You can arrange your applications in any order you wish within iTunes - graphically and using drag and drop - and then you can synch those changes to your device.

The key issue you are pointing out is caused by the size limitation of the device, not by any lack of foresight at Apple or an 'aging nature' for iOS.