Apple releases minor 4.4.1 software update for Apple TV

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Give me a break, who cannot afford the cable?! Dirt cheap!:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...ro+usb&x=0&y=0

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

I had this issue with mine last night. Required a restore with a micro USB cable that isn't included with the Apple TV. I had one so I was able to get through it. Plug the Apple TV into the computer and run a fairly standard (although odd for Apple TV) restore. It downloads the IOS files, and restores it. Reset all my settings also.

Not everyone has a micro USB cable though. Seems like a pretty big fail not to use a standard 30 pin connector, or include the cable in the box.

• Reply 22 of 34
    In other news, a new version of Seas0npass is out -- iOS ATV (tethered) jailbreak for these latest versions:

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

• Reply 23 of 34
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    I just finished checking for updates on my Apple TV2 and 4.4 is the latest available. No update available it said. So whatever was released earlier has apparently been pulled off now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Less than a week after issuing a major update to coincide with iOS 5, Apple has provided another minor update intended to fix bugs for its Apple TV set-top box [updated].

Update: It appears the software has been pulled after users have reported various issues with the update. The download is no longer available.

Apple TV software update version 4.4.1 is now available for download on the device. It can be obtained by navigating to "General," then "Settings," and choosing Update Software.

According to Apple, the software update addresses an issue that required a small number of Apple TV units to be connected to iTunes in order to complete last week's 4.4 update.

One of the major features added with last week's iOS 5 update is AirPlay mirroring, which allows a user to send their iPad 2 display wirelessly to the Apple TV. It also allows console-style gaming via supported titles like Real Racing 2 HD.

Last week's Apple TV update also added access to Apple's new iCloud-powered Photo Stream feature, which automatically uploads pictures taken with an iPhone or iPad 2 and shares them among iOS devices. With the update, users can view Photo Stream pictures on their HDTV.

The update also added access to iTunes Trailers, Wall Street Journal Live, and the ability to watch live games through the National Hockey League's GameCenter subscription service.

• Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbrooker View Post

My experience was I attempted to update my AppleTV, it seemed to download the software okay, but then a picture of a USB cord and the Itunes symbol showed up. So I packed up the unit and went to the Genius Bar. They attempted to fix the unit but they could not restore it, so sent me home with a refurbished new unit. When I got home the same thing occurred. Back to the Genius bar I went. They again could not reboot the unit and where also out of stock of refurbished units. They told me they would have one for me in 3 days. What I will do when I go to pick it up is have the genius bar people do the upgrade in-store for me. Love Apple products though.

Thanks for your post. Similar experience. My daughter didn't update her apple tv & all well. Apple store here I come!!!
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Anyone else notice another new feature in 4.4.x:

• Reply 26 of 34
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    I notice that my photos in photo stream are darker on the appletv than on iPhone. I guess it's a gamma thing. It'd be nice if that was adjustable.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

Anyone else notice another new feature in 4.4.x:

Didn't notice that yet, but I did notice that the HDMI handshake, though still slow, is a LOT more consistent.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by euler View Post

I notice that my photos in photo stream are darker on the appletv than on iPhone. I guess it's a gamma thing. It'd be nice if that was adjustable.

Your TV doesn't have video controls? Of course it's adjustable.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

1) the phone seems to use much more power (even when all settings that are supposed to be set low to save battery are set to low) which causes battery life to be much shorter, and 2) the audio / volume is about 50% less than it used to be. Audio for some applications is very hard to listen to and hear, because there apparently is a problem with how the audio is handled now.

I ponder if it really is iOS 5. I say this because my roommate was having similar problems, especially the audio one. But when we looked at when it was happening it was only when he was using certain apps. Apps which are often also sitting open in the background. On a whim we looked them up on the App Store and none of them had been updated for iOS5. Several not even for iOS 4. Which makes us think that the issue, at least in his case, is that the apps need to be updated, not that there's really a bug in iOS 5.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

well, I can't wait to try out this mirroring feature. My only beef around it (on paper) is that it will only do mirroring with the iPad.

Nope it mirrors the iPhone and iPod touch also.

Quote:

That seems like a missed opportunity when you think about how awesome it would be to just use your iphone/touch as the game console/controller.

that also requires the game to be programmed that way. Few are
  • Reply 31 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Nope it mirrors the iPhone and iPod touch also.

Incorrect. Mirroring only works with the iPad 2 and iPhone 4s.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Hearing about the 4.4 and 4.4.1 updates, I did notice a couple of days ago that the Apple TV was telling me that an update was available. I choose not to go forward with the update at that time because it came at an inconvenient time. Now when I go to General -> Update Software it tells me that my Apple TV already has the latest update. About reports 4.3, so I am wondering whether both 4.4 and 4.4.1 got pulled?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aedil View Post

Hearing about the 4.4 and 4.4.1 updates, I did notice a couple of days ago that the Apple TV was telling me that an update was available. I choose not to go forward with the update at that time because it came at an inconvenient time. Now when I go to General -> Update Software it tells me that my Apple TV already has the latest update. About reports 4.3, so I am wondering whether both 4.4 and 4.4.1 got pulled?

Interesting. I wonder if this is related to the TV Show issue mentioned in the other thread.

I have 4.4, which I'm glad I have, since iPad 2 mirroring is important to me. And I don't ever buy TV shows, so I won't be testing the other issue. I have rented a movie since the update, and it worked perfectly. Started in ten seconds from when I selected "rent".
  • Reply 34 of 34
    My Apple TV2 is also unable to upgrade to the latest version, v4.4.1. It's on 4.3 and checking updates it says it has the latest version.