Biographer tells of Steve Jobs's regrets from delaying cancer treatment

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AjitMD View Post

He is an adult, mentally competent, and was entitled to make the decision, however foolish it may have been.

Indeed, he was entitled to make a decision which he regretted and very probably led to him living a shorter life. It was his destiny.
  • Reply 62 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Cancer survival rates are greatly improving.

He said that because his Lord Steve died from Cancer so it must be true. Once again, mdriftmeyer. Once again.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kpluck View Post

As of 2010, only about 16% of Americans lacked health insurance. You might want to try harder at not being misinformed.

-kpluck

Oh, only ten times the country I live in (16% of USA is 50 million, in Norway we are about 4.9 million). That's hardly anyone.
  • Reply 64 of 71
    tsatsa Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

In 2004, Steve was busy negotiating Pixar's film distribution deal with Michael Eisner. He sold the company to Disney shortly thereafter for $7,400,000,000.00.

Those two extra zeros make it seem like a whole lot more money than it actually was. And it already was a enormous amount. You can almost buy Greece with that much money.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

Those two extra zeros make it seem like a whole lot more money than it actually was.

Yes, those zero cents makes it look like a lot more money?
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Such a smart man with so much going for him and still he thought in a stupid (and selfish) manner. One might argue that it is not selfish thinking but it is. One needs to think about how their life touches everyone else in their life when making a decision about how to go about treating a terminal illness.

Having said that, I know and understand his reasoning, and have felt the same way at one time, but never again. I was lucky.

And yet the odds of survival aren't that much better had he sought the treatment any earlier.

Cancer sucks and it's a tricky beast. At best you've got a 50/50 chance of survival. Alternative medicine isn't a witchdoctor evil either and in some cases have found their way into traditional medicine so don't knock his decisions rightly or wrongly.

The book also goes on to say that Jobs invested heavily in cancer research when he decided to go for the surgery so this is a man who likes to consider all options not just go with the ones that people tell he needs to go with. He hasn't done it with Apple why should he do it with his own health? In fact by looking at all options he shows that he is looking out for his family. Chemotherapy would have sapped him with no real better odds of success.

My only question now is will this book be available in the New Zealand iBooks store because I would really like to read it without having to go to Kindle or by the physical book.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

True, which makes me dang curious what happened to THIS.

Must not have been the cure-all they were hoping for...
  • Reply 68 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I have known other geniuses who also had superstitious notions about health.

I think/suspect that part of what makes them productive is a benevolent universe presmise: the idea that if you do your best and work hard, you will succeed. So they can not accept/conceptualize that the human body would be such that things can just go wrong with it, through no fault of their own, that then need human intervention to fix. It just does not jive with their version of reality. "It must be so, in this universe, that if I just leave it, it will go away."
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I have known other geniuses who also had superstitious notions about health.

I think/suspect that part of what makes them productive is a benevolent universe presmise: the idea that if you do your best and work hard, you will succeed. So they can not accept/conceptualize that the human body would be such that things can just go wrong with it, through no fault of their own, that then need human intervention to fix. It just does not jive with their version of reality. "It must be so, in this universe, that if I just leave it, it will go away."

It is also extremely frustrating to want something and have the capabilities of doing it, and then be hampered by the state of your body. Sometimes you have to decide to first do what you want and deal with the consequesces later. Maybe that is what Steve did. I even suspect him to have postponed dying until after the iPhone 4S/Siri keynote.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tsa View Post

I even suspect him to have postponed dying until after the iPhone 4S/Siri keynote.

Willpower is incredibly powerful but not that powerful. He would have been in agonising pain for some time at that point, and not in control of exactly when it happened.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Willpower is incredibly powerful but not that powerful. He would have been in agonising pain for some time at that point, and not in control of exactly when it happened.

You are probably right because he died one day after the keynote. I have seen people do it, however. One grandfather told me on the day his last grandchild was baptized that he was ready to die now that he had seen his grandchildren baptized. He died a week or so after that. And he is certainly not the only example.