AT&T sees iPhone 3GS sellouts, expects legacy model to expand smartphone base

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    ... and just wait until the 4 becomes the free phone next year...
  • Reply 22 of 51
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    wasn't there a $49 deal on a refurb unit? and it was $99 on new?
  • Reply 23 of 51
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aross99 View Post

So when your high school son or dauther's phone dies, you would make them get a crappy flip phone and pay $200 for an iPod touch, rather than get them a free 3GS?

One year of data (12x$15) would be less than the iPod touch... :-)

That's the way the government works, isn't it?
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:

So when your high school son or dauther's phone dies, you would make them get a crappy flip phone and pay $200 for an iPod touch, rather than get them a free 3GS?

When I was a kid a phone was something sitting on a table in the hall... and you better keep your damn hands off of it or Dad would raise holy hell!
  • Reply 25 of 51
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

If you know any teenager that would only use 200MB of data a month, I'd like to meet them

Little hellions will be sitting in calculus class every day watching YouTube videos of cats eating pot brownies while playing the piano with their paws
  • Reply 26 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

When I was a kid a phone was something sitting on a table in the hall... and you better keep your damn hands off of it or Dad would raise holy hell!

Ah, those were the days. They seemed just like yesterday. Just kidding!! But I do remember them because I'm somewhere between 53 and 54 years.
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

If you know any teenager that would only use 200MB of data a month, I'd like to meet them

Little hellions will be sitting in calculus class every day watching YouTube videos of cats eating pot brownies while playing the piano with their paws

I gave my oldest daughter my 3GS, and a 2GB data plan when she went to college. She has ready access to WiFi, so routinely uses 150GB-250GB/mo. If she stays off Netflix when she is on 3G it's on the lower side. I don't think she has ever gone over 400GB, and that was because they didn't have WiFi in her dorm room.

My guess is that texting in class is much more of an issue than anything else. I can't believe how many texts my youngest daughter sent when she was in high school. She still averages about 5,000 texts per month now. She hit 10,000 one time, but I think she was trying to see how many she could send. LOL.
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The reason I ask is because I don't think that Apple has sold an older generation iPhone for this long. I guess my reasoning is, the longer they keep selling the damn thing as a new device, the longer they'll have to keep providing updates to appease people.

If Apple wants to maintain the "free" iPhone 3GS on contract, people will still be buying these "new" phones until the iPhone 5 comes out next year.

I mean, if they're crazy enough to buy an iPhone 3GS now, they're probably crazy enough to expect IOS 6 on their "one-year-old" iPhone 3GS come this time next year.

It's entirely possible that Apple will discontinue the iPhone 3GS sometime between now and the release of the iPhone 6, negating the imminent call for the 3GS to support iOS 6.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It's entirely possible that Apple will discontinue the iPhone 3GS sometime between now and the release of the iPhone 6, negating the imminent call for the 3GS to support iOS 6.

Would that be a smart move though? AT&T is clearly lovin' this cheapass phone, and the component prices probably aren't too high for Apple. This seems more like a long-term strategy than a short-term, let's get a few people hooked strategy.

I could see them keeping the iPhone 3GS onboard longer for free than I can see them making the iPhone 4 free in its place.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

People like a sticker price of free. The real price reduction was $100 as I recall.

Next year Apple will keep the 3GS when the iPhone 5 comes out and drop by another $100.

It would run off the shelfs in poorer countries.

Cook also said in his conference call that they were also seeing increased demand for the iPhone 4 from last Q because of price reductions. Hence the blowout predictions.

Exactly right ... people buy a payment ... Think $199 for a Camry, Accord, ect ...
  • Reply 31 of 51
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    This is cool. Apple could have the #1, #2, and #3 selling smartphones on the market.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Apple is going to reach a whole new market with this strategy. A huge market.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the 3GS remain at or near the top-selling smartphone.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This is cool. Apple could have the #1, #2, and #3 selling smartphones on the market.

Easily.

But I wonder if the 3GS will be the second-best selling, rather than the i4?
  • Reply 34 of 51
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I always thought this was the real innovation at this year's iPhone announcement.
  • Reply 35 of 51
    Just wondering what the imperative would be to discontinue the 3GS when we get to iOS 6? Are people thinking the 3GS won't have adequate hardware to run iOS 6? Apparently the 3GS runs better on iOS 5 than it did on iOS 4, so whose to say 6 will be so hard to run. And if Apple spend the next 12-24 months with 3GS as top selling phone, they may not want to disappoint all those customers.

Yeah there's a pattern in discontinuing an iPhone model after two iOS releases, but that was just for the initial two iPhones. Might not mean it is a strategic plan.

3GS couldbe round for few more years? White MacBooks from 2007 can run Lion (I think it's 2007).
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A lot of places started offering it for $50 very early this year.

Around the world, a lot of places had already been offering the 3GS (on a term commitment) for $0, for about a year or more.

But going back to asdasd's post to which you were replying...

Immediately before the iPhone 4S, AT&T's "no-commitment" price for the iPhone 3GS had been $449, and direct through Apple for $499.

After the iPhone 4S, the 3GS's no-commitment price is $375.00 (either unlocked direct through Apple, or locked via AT&T). That is a "real" reduction of (an average of) $100, as correctly stated by asdasd.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    [QUOTE=nicwalmsley;1971096]

Yeah there's a pattern in discontinuing an iPhone model after two iOS releases, but that was just for the initial two iPhones. Might not mean it is a strategic plan.

QUOTE]

Agreed. The first two generations of iPhone were woefully limitted in RAM, GPU power, and flash memory speed. Remember, they were designed many months in advance of release and well before the app store ecosystem existed or anyone really knew how this class of devices would be used. I think they were dropped from updates earlier than even Apple would have liked simply because of the hardware limitations. Had they had 256MB RAM and even a very low end OpenGL ES 2.0-capable GPU, I bet they'd have gotten iOS 4.3 at minimum. I'm not delusional though... No doubt, they would have supported fewer features as subtle encouragement to upgrade.
  • Reply 38 of 51
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, because they hate when they sell lots of units, it bugs the bejesus out of them. The 3GS is here to stay. At least the form factor is ( it may get a processor upgrade to an A4, if the higher models bump to to a5, a6 etc.)

But they are not going to discontinue a product without a replacement.
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

The 3GS is here to stay.

Until it can't get software updates anymore?

Quote:

At least the form factor is; it may get a processor upgrade to an A4

That's nonsense.

Quote:

But they are not going to discontinue a product without a replacement.

OH, LOOK, the iPhone 4 will be free, the 4S will be $99, and the 6 will be $199.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    [QUOTE=StigsHero;1971201]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nicwalmsley View Post

QUOTE]

Agreed. The first two generations of iPhone were woefully limitted in RAM, GPU power, and flash memory speed. Remember, they were designed many months in advance of release and well before the app store ecosystem existed or anyone really knew how this class of devices would be used. I think they were dropped from updates earlier than even Apple would have liked simply because of the hardware limitations. Had they had 256MB RAM and even a very low end OpenGL ES 2.0-capable GPU, I bet they'd have gotten iOS 4.3 at minimum. I'm not delusional though... No doubt, they would have supported fewer features as subtle encouragement to upgrade.

Thats exactly right. The "rule of thumb" only existed because of the weakness of the 1G and the 3G. The jump in speed to the 3GS was immense - much more obvious than the jump in speed from the 4 to the 4S.