Apple aggressively pushing iOS 5 deployment to users

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital_Guy View Post

I hope that Apple releases an update to iOS 5 itself soon. I have noticed two problems with my iPhone 3GS that I have been having since I updated last week .. 1) the phone seems to use much more power (even when all settings that are supposed to be set low to save battery are set to low) which causes battery life to be much shorter, and 2) the audio / volume is about 50% less than it used to be. Audio for some applications is very hard to listen to and hear, because there apparently is a problem with how the audio is handled now. I read something about using SSH to connect to the iPhone as "ROOT" to correct the problem, but I think this is beyond my expertise. I have also tried something called (I think) a "Springboard Reset" (changing the default language setting on the iPhone to another language, and then changing the language back to English), but none of the methods that I have tried to fix the audio problem I am having have helped. I hope that Apple knows about the power/battery and audio/volume issues, and I hope that these will be addressed very soon, in the next update.

I upgraded my 3GS but didn't have any problems you're having. In contrast, mine actually runs quite a bit smoother than before. Regarding your power consumption issue, iCloud pushes a lot more information so it might help to turn off some of the services you don't use. However, I believe your biggest problem is that you JB your phone. Prior to upgrading, I JB my phone running iOS 4.3.3 and the back lid was constantly hot after playing games or doing something for an extended amount of time. After upgrading, my phone runs smoother and doesn't get hot anymore. I still miss not having SBSettings and Activator, but other than that I'm quite happy with iOS 5 and don't see the need to JB my phone anymore.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    [deleted]
  • Reply 23 of 31
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    What happens when an iOS device is no longer updated, but an app developer releases an incompatible update in the future? Will one somehow be able to download the last working version with that OS, or will they just be screwed?

That already happened to me on the Mac App Store, where an app all of a sudden became 64-bit only.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bedouin View Post

What happens when an iOS device is no longer updated, but an app developer releases an incompatible update in the future? Will one somehow be able to download the last working version with that OS, or will they just be screwed?

That already happened to me on the Mac App Store, where an app all of a sudden became 64-bit only.

You have to watch out for these. I'm still on 3.1.2 and encounter this problem. First, save a copy of the old version outside of iTunes. Second, for those apps, be careful on updates, check what versions are supported before you download. Even if you do download, the older version will remain in the phone. Moral, don't restore (perhaps from a backup would be ok, don't know). If you do lose it, you can find old versions on the web along with how to install. I simply pull the new ones out of my backup clone, insert the old ones and resync.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

I doubt that most Android smartphone-using consumers even care whether their old smartphones get updates as long as the phone is working pretty well. I don't think most consumers are into that sort of stuff of waiting longingly for upgrades. Google is fortunate in that respect because Android is one hella fragmented OS. I'll take the walled garden any day. Apple was smart since the 3GS is in demand and is able to be updated to the latest iOS version 5.0. The longer Apple can keep users happy, the better. At least users of older iPhones aren't kicked out that quickly. I could imagine trying to update a hundred or so models of Android smartphones becoming a nightmare.

It's no different in the iPhone world. It's the same market. I don't update unless it's really compelling. Lion was not, anything after 3.1.2 was not. It's a phone, not a life.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    All of this means that 9 out of ten Android devices cannot do all the things DROID DOES...

If you can't upgrade your phone to the latest version of the software, then your phone is a cripple android device... lol
  • Reply 27 of 31
    I have an iPad 1 that I have not upgraded to iOS 5 and an iPad 2 that I have upgraded to OS5.

I'm sort of testing the waters to see what breaks and what doesn't. So far the only real annoying problem has been that the update process on the iPad 1 is halted by apps that are iOS5 only. I've had to go in and do them individually, which for 22 updates is a real pain.

I sort of wish they did this "free major update" with their MacOS updates. Apple has created such huge fragmentation in the OS base with 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and now 10.7 on Intel. I'd like it if they would just release 10.5 for free so that all of the older machines out there can be upgraded. I should note however that I have steadfastly refused to use Lion due to Apple's decision to remove Rosetta PowerPC compatibility, a political decision by Apple which has had a major impact on my organization.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    My only criticism is poor upgrade process from previous version to iOS 5. iTunes does not backup iPhone prior to the upgrade and many of my friends have lost data as a result. Upgrade should be 1-click affair.

Furthermore, iTunes should let you beforehand roughly how long the entire upgrade should take.

And one should not have to resort to DFU when something catastrophic happens. At the very least, iTunes should tell you how to put iPhone into DFU mode when this happens.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

I've been trying to update my 3GS since Friday and every time I try it failed. Still under OS 4.3.3

- iTunes 10.5, Windows XP SP3 (syncing comp.) and MobileMe sync.

Frustrating. My ipad though is OK.

You're iPad updated because you didn't have to contact Servers to authenticate the Baseband. You have at some point run Jailbreak software on your computer and it has added (gs.apple.com) to the block list of the computer (hosts file). This is not Apple's fault. Remove any lines in your hosts file that says gs.apple.com and you should be able to update your phone.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by latafairam View Post

I've been wanting to upgrade to IOS 5 myself but

1) No untethered jailbreak yet available.

2) iCloud,I wont be able to sync to any of my computers. I have a G5 and a MacBook Pro, you need to intall Lion and they're not compatible.

3)Siri, well, this only works with iPhone 4S, I have an iPhone 4.

4)iMessage? to text who? most of my friends dont want o get ios5, therefore cant text them for free. I'll stick to the now free whatsapp app.

What will I miss if I dont upgrade?

This is only partially true. My 3GS is untethered on iOS 5 Jailbroken. Also, how often do you actually reboot your phone? I've used tethered jailbreaks on my (now wife's) iPhone4 without any issues. Just don't update any Cydia apps when you aren't at home and you won't have to worry about it.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    [QUOTE=Goldenclaw;1971696]I sort of wish they did this "free major update" with their MacOS updates.[?QUOTE]

They should also give away new computers for free.

Quote:

Apple has created such huge fragmentation in the OS base with 10.4, 10.5, 10.6 and now 10.7 on Intel

Barely anyone uses 10.4 anymore. 10.6 on is Intel-only, so there won't really be any fragmentation two years from now.

Quote:

I'd like it if they would just release 10.5 for free so that all of the older machines out there can be upgraded.

They'd rather you buy a new machine.

Quote:

I should note however that I have steadfastly refused to use Lion due to Apple's decision to remove Rosetta PowerPC compatibility, a political decision by Apple which has had a major impact on my organization.

Then you'll be with Snow Leopard until your guys get it together and update their software.