Verizon sold 2M iPhones last quarter, 700K less than AT&T

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Two points, first many verizon customers have had and continue to have strong android options. att has only recently started pushing android. (since they lost exclusive iphone rights early this year). They have seen great success at att selling iphones because it was the only real smart phone offered. sorry blackberry is not a serious competitor these days.

since selling android and iphone together more seriously att has also had a great deal of customers start adopting android.

http://www.channelpartnersonline.com...r-numbers.aspx

android sells have more then doubled year over year!

my second point is that att has a huge number of iphone users that are ready to upgrade to a new iphone. Verizon has zero iphone users ready to upgrade to a new iphone. this is huge, once a person chooses an operating system they are much more likely to buy it again if they liked it. most smart phone users on verizon have had android or bb so they are more likely to continue to buy bb or android.

apple is the number one selling phone but relizes almost entirely on upgrades at this point. that is why they have seen very very little change in market share over the last year. (not that I predict this wont change) free 3gs will be a big deal to alot of people. also china opening its markets.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...les-apple-fans

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...rtphone-market
  • Reply 22 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2385amh View Post

Two points, first many verizon customers have had and continue to have strong android options. att has only recently started pushing android. (since they lost exclusive iphone rights early this year). They have seen great success at att selling iphones because it was the only real smart phone offered. sorry blackberry is not a serious competitor these days.

since selling android and iphone together more seriously att has also had a great deal of customers start adopting android.

AT&T has been selling Android-based devices alongside the iPhone for years. There options haven't been as good as the other vendors but you make it seem as if Android-based devices were nowhere to be found at AT&T.

Other GSM-based carriers around the world have also been selling Android-based devices alongside the iPhone for years and the iPhone still does well.

Quote:

http://www.channelpartnersonline.com...r-numbers.aspx

android sells[sic] have more then doubled year over year!

That's for AT&T, where the iPhone 4 had been on the market for 5 quarters,the iPhone 3GS for 9 quarters, and new Android-based devices were coming out. That is also all Android-based devices up against a single brand from a single vendor. The only surprise would be for Android-based devices to not outsell the iPhone.

Quote:

my second point is that att has a huge number of iphone users that are ready to upgrade to a new iphone. Verizon has zero iphone users ready to upgrade to a new iphone. this is huge, once a person chooses an operating system they are much more likely to buy it again if they liked it. most smart phone users on verizon have had android or bb so they are more likely to continue to buy bb or android.

If you don't think BB OS is a serious competitor how can you assume that customers would stick with BB OS-based devices if there is a better option for smartphone buyers? It's clear the iPhone has sparked extreme interest in the smartphone market and it's clear that BB is losing marketshare, which mainly seems to be going to Android. But is RiM losing actual sales at this point, or just losing marketshare? I forget, but assume if there unit sales haven't started dropping they will shortly.

Quote:

apple is the number one selling phone but relizes almost entirely on upgrades at this point. that is why they have seen very very little change in market share over the last year. (not that I predict this wont change) free 3gs will be a big deal to alot of people. also china opening its markets.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...les-apple-fans

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...rtphone-market

This is just flat out incorrect. If they only relied on upgrades they wouldn't be selling more units per year. They've even sold more units per quarter for the past two years save for the over one-year old iPhone 4, which still managed to sell 17 million units in a single quarter compared to the 20 million the previous quarter.

Furthermore, there have been many articles detailing the percentages of iPhone buyers new to the iPhone and new to Apple products. You can't go buy marketshare to judge growth of a brand, as a brand does not a market make… unless you refer to a monopoly.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 80025 View Post

Wonder if they ever considered that it might not be iPhone announcements that are slowing sales at verzion, but the carrier? Even with the name change from general tel to verzion, one thing remains constant: Sub-par service.

They've still been doing quite well regardless. AT&T has had it longer anyway, and none of this is enough data to draw widespread conclusions about the future of a carrier.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

They've still been doing quite well regardless. AT&T has had it longer anyway, and none of this is enough data to draw widespread conclusions about the future of a carrier.

It's still surprising Verizon isn't selling more iPhones considering they are a larger carrier with more users willing to pay more for services, at least what I've read. Then again, I also read the iPhone won't ever sell in the US, or Europe, or Japan, or Korea, or China. Most recently that the iPhone 4S Willie a failure because it doesn't have a radical new design.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    No one cares to mention that Verizon got rid of unlimited data, and they have no $15 data option.

Those are significant things.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    My VZW corporate store has one iPhone display with 3 units, tucked away in a corner of the store. The rest of the store is rows and rows and rows of non-iPhones. I literally had to ask the sales rep where the iPhones were. He said the iPhone was best if you were big into music, but otherwise Android was better. Also, our area had just gotten 4G coverage, so they were pushing 4G phones hard (makes sense, VZW spent a ton of money on it).

All that to say, I just don't think VZW was pushing the iPhone 4 very hard. They got it mid-cycle, and it doesn't support VZW's latest network technology. They seemed more content to have it to keep current customers from jumping ship.

I haven't been back since the 4S was released, maybe their corporate strategy has changed?