Circumstances likely to see Apple push MacBook Pro refresh to November

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riss View Post

They're out, but it's sad to see an update being rolled out like this... the MacBook Pro spec's sheet is not yet updated and clicking to purchase the 15" or 17" in the store throws an error message :/

9to5 indicated early this morning they where coming. New hardware gives Apple the opportunity advertise them as new for the Chrstmas holiday. Beyond that it is really just a minor bump.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You know it would seem I made a mistake here. I thought it was the 2010 on. It was the 2011. 8GB dimms have been available on the desktop side longer than they've been available in sodimm form.

They do. 8GB dimms have been available in ram appropriate for desktops/workstations for quite a while. I imagine the demand wasn't high enough to really bring prices down though considering that you are generally able to use 4 sticks in a single socket configuration that way.

thx that's what I had thought. The price of those 8gig sticks have really dropped in the last little while so perhaps it's better I drop an OWC SSD in first and see what comes of the prices in a little bit on ram when it's time to update this mbp. I do that every 2-3 years or so anyway. Maybe the SSD makes the ram update less needed.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Groovetube View Post

thx that's what I had thought. The price of those 8gig sticks have really dropped in the last little while so perhaps it's better I drop an OWC SSD in first and see what comes of the prices in a little bit on ram when it's time to update this mbp. I do that every 2-3 years or so anyway. Maybe the SSD makes the ram update less needed.

Right now a good ssd does make a significant difference if you're lower on ram as it makes paging much less noticeable. More ram is still ideal but three years from now, 16GB might not seem as high as it does today. SSDs can really shine in any area where paging will occur. This includes applications that simply can't address more ram regardless of availability.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    You can get two 8 GIG SODIMMs that will work in the 2011 MBPs from Newegg for about $420. Hopefully they will keep falling in price $420 is still a bit much for 16 gig I'd like to see it around 150-200.