Apple rumored to have new dock connector for third-gen iPad by March 2012

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 59
    irelandireland Posts: 17,749member
    What we really need is a so-called iPod connector that attaches magnetically like a MagSafe charger. So as soon as you bring it roughly to the right area the magnet does the alignment and connection. This would be very-Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    Wrong analogy. The real question is: Does the doc connector provide faster syncing than a WiFi connection? Perhaps, but is it needed?



    How long do you think iPads/iOS Devices are going to be capped at 64GB? The larger the capacity the larger the back up and the slower the total time to sync. With Thunderbolt you have PCI-E over copper or in the future, fiber. With Thunderbolt you have Network connectivity options that will always surpass Wireless.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post


    How long do you think iPads/iOS Devices are going to be capped at 64GB? The larger the capacity the larger the back up and the slower the total time to sync. With Thunderbolt you have PCI-E over copper or in the future, fiber. With Thunderbolt you have Network connectivity options that will always surpass Wireless.



    I generally agree with this!



    However there are some TV Spectrums coming up for auction, that could significantly increase wireless transmission bandwidth.



    It won't approach TB capacity -- but it may be good enough for the mobile devices that we're likely to see in the next 2-5 years.



    I suspect that one of the reasons that Apple is sitting on all that cash, is because of the TV Spectrum auction.





    Edit: Oh... It just dawned on me that Apple could make a camera/videocam that contained real [DLSR quality] camera lenses as well as iOS (iPhone/iPad) capability and a tweener 5-7" viewfinder/display. Hmmm...
  • Reply 44 of 59
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,341member
    I'd still prefer wired sync provided it's fast for backing up and wifi sync of delta updates of apps.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    ...

    Finally, another source also reportedly suggested that Apple is currently building another device in the iOS family, to join the iPad, iPhone, iPod touch and Apple TV. However, the information was described as "not reliable," though "interesting."



    I think the next IOS device should be an automotive head-unit. Think about it. Where do many people over 21 listen to most of their music? The car, of course. This could be built into the car as a factory option.



    All current iPod features, plus Siri, navigation, compass, 3G, Bluetooth headset profile, and optional addons for remote-start, alarm, OBDII code checking, unlock doors, etc. would make this the next killer device.



    Although if we know Apple well enough, it will be none of these things and people will still want whatever it is.
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post


    Can you say "Thunderbolt"?!



    actually I was thinking... can you say 'FireWire iPod'



    back in the day Firewire was the only way to sync your iPod... but then they converted to USB, and all the FW iPod users gnashed their teeth and beat their breasts.



    I suspect the same soon for a new charging/syncing cable. thunderbolt makes sense if it the 'client' chipset isn't huge.



    Between the EU requiring a 'standard' charging console, and the 64 (probably soon to be 128)GB devices (I remember when a NeXT would ship with a 40mb swapping drive... only... you had to store everything on 256mb MO disks.... ah... memories), Thunderbolt/USB3.0 will be the only way to do full backups of devices to local platforms (incremental backups to the cloud are frought with danger).
  • Reply 47 of 59
    I kind of hope it's not thunderbolt as I don't really wanna update my iMac. I think the wifi syncing and photo stream are great , I only use the connector for charging. But then again I'm happy with my iPad 2 and iOS 5 . Unless the iPad 3 is truly revolutionary then I'm ok without it.
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    The site noted that the new dock connector will create compatibility issues with current products that utilize Apple's standard iPod 30-pin connector, forcing users to potentially buy new accessories and third-party manufacturers to make new products.



    Just as planned.
  • Reply 49 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post


    Does TB make sense yet? How many TB computers are there versus iOS devices? Apple dropped the much faster FireWire when nearly all Macs and a vast number of PCs shipped with it.



    Well if they don't start tO do something with TB it will never make sense. A port that never gets used soon dies away.

    Quote:

    Personally I'm less bothered about data rates, the WiFi sync whilst the phone charges overnight is fine for most syncs.



    It might be fine with you and your use cases but not so much for others. Long slow syncs are a problem even on my IPhone.



    I mention iPhone because the port will likely be on a follow on iPhone. My suspicion is that Apple will integrate the TB logic right into the cell phone chip. Likely this will be the mythical A6 processor. This would keep Apple hardware compact. More importantly it might allow use of the port as a master.



    Think about this a bit. If iPhone can become the computer on the TB bus then things like Apples new TB monitor take on new capabilities. The monitor would become an iPhone docking station that provides a series of ports for the iPhone.



    In case anybody is wondering, yes I think the A6 chip would be powerful enough to drive such a monitor / dock.

    Quote:

    I would love to see a more robust and MagSafe connector though.



    Yeah that would be a huge improvement over the current connector. MagSafe has to be one of Apples better inventions. The only concern would be its reliability when used in docks.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tkrunner1738 View Post


    I kind of hope it's not thunderbolt as I don't really wanna update my iMac. I think the wifi syncing and photo stream are great , I only use the connector for charging. But then again I'm happy with my iPad 2 and iOS 5 . Unless the iPad 3 is truly revolutionary then I'm ok without it.



    In fact I seem to remember a patent for a new connector almost a year ago. In that application USB did not go away. In any event I'm constantly surprised by people that think TB is all or nothing. Even if the new port is TB only Apple would provide some sort of an adapter.



    Now an adapter is less than elegant but it is a way to gently move people to TB. Another advantage of going TB only is that it minimizes logic in the SoC.



    The more that I think about the more that I see iPad 3 as a big step forward.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Cables ... we don't need no stinking cables.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    What we really need is a so-called iPod connector that attaches magnetically like a MagSafe charger. So as soon as you bring it roughly to the right area the magnet does the alignment and connection. This would be very-Apple.



    This! Exactly!
  • Reply 53 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kkerst View Post


    In theory, you could get rid of the entire doc connector - just replace it with a small connector. The connector doesn't have to be USB, all it needs to do is charge the iPad battery. With iOS5, there's no need for a full connector since it doesn't have to be connected to the computer to even be synced.



    it's too early to dump computer syncing. Perhaps on the iPad 4 when more folks will have dumped their ancient Lion incompatible systems and gotten used to wifi syncing etc. At which point they would likely go for something like mini/micro USB.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    asciiascii Posts: 5,941member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Now that iOS 5 does wifi sync or backing up to the cloud I really need little in terms of physical connectivity to 3rd party devices.



    I agree. When Thunderbolt first came out I was sure it was all about speeding up iDevice sync. But with WiFi sync and iCloud I have changed my mind. Apparently Apple has not given up trying to improve traditional computers, even as iOS marches on.
  • Reply 55 of 59
    You just don't Get It: This thing is so cool, they're going to call it the iPad 2S.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Siri may be a part of the new iPad3.
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Quote:

    PS: Off topic: re there any iPhone 4/4S 3rd-party docks that work with a case or Bumper on? I hate that Apple doesn't allow for both at the same time.



    Yes there are. I love the one I got from made2dock.com. Heavy black metal base that holds my iPhone 4 nicely with the Apple bumper on it. Also works with other cases if they aren't too thick.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    Expecting too much for the news
  • Reply 59 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowrenced View Post


    Can the news be true?



    No. It can't possibly be true. Apple will never make a new iPad.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hijack View Post


    Expecting too much for the news



    Thunderbolt isn't too much to ask, however. I'd be perfectly fine with the same connector and a branched cable with USB 2 and Thunderbolt ends.



    The USB/FireWire branched cable worked perfectly well. This would be fine, too.
Sign In or Register to comment.