Settlement in iTunes Gift Card class action suit offers $3.25 per customer

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Makes one wonder why anyone would file a class action lawsuit if the lawyers get most of the "profit" and the plaintiffs get stiffed. I'm guessing these lawyers make promises about how much money they can get for the plaintiffs, then come back months or years later and recommend a settlement as "as good as we could get."

And of course these lawsuits figure into the price of the product too. We all wind up paying the lawyers millions while we get our $2.00 coupons.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

It's the lawyers that solicit and file these suits. Nobody wins except the lawyers, ever.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Lawyers win, customers lose.

Typical class action lawsuit.

Yep. I get paperwork for class action lawsuits over stocks that I've owned all the time. If the lawsuit succeeds, you usually get about 7 cents a share. Since most of my investments are in funds in which I own just a few shares of each stock, they're usually not worth the postage to mail the forms back (never mind the time to research all the stock buys/sales). But the lawyers get $ millions, sometimes up to hundreds of $ millions. It's an absurd and ridiculous system, especially since most companies settle to avoid a protracted lawsuit that they have to defend.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If you read the actual complaint it is usually John Doe files on behalf of all the other people who are in the class action. The attorneys and John Doe have a separate contract that gives Mr. Doe a substantial portion, say 20%, of the lawyer's profit as a referral fee. Everyone else gets a free song.

I don't know about that, but if I ever sued in this kind of situation, I'd be trying to do as much damage to the company as I can, in order to make it not worth it for it to misbehave. For example, I'd like to go after Steam for making it so much easier for pirates to play their games than me, who plays their games after buying them full price. Or Eidos for selling me a Deus Ex game that's not a Deus Ex, but merely a Assassin's Creed Deus Ex Edition. I would not want money. I'd want them to lose so much money they'd never do it again...
  • Reply 23 of 25
    It's actually not a bad deal, it take less than 5 minutes. Not too bad for "free" credits.

Here's the link:

https://www.johnsonitunessettlement....4-c44cecef56de
  • Reply 24 of 25
    I just received an email to join in on this class action lawsuit against Apple.

Gives me more reason to hate lawyers. Anybody can sue anybody for anything. What started out as one persons complaint about penny's will have more attorneys getting rich. I bet less than 50 people come forward. I went through many iTunes cards, never saved them after entering the information. Apple still had plenty of songs priced at $0.99 and even reduced some to $0.69. CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN, RICH GET RICHER. TJ
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tomjaycox View Post

I just received an email to join in on this class action lawsuit against Apple.

Gives me more reason to hate lawyers. Anybody can sue anybody for anything. What started out as one persons complaint about penny's will have more attorneys getting rich. I bet less than 50 people come forward. I went through many iTunes cards, never saved them after entering the information. Apple still had plenty of songs priced at $0.99 and even reduced some to $0.69. CRAZY WORLD WE LIVE IN, RICH GET RICHER. TJ

Without these lawyers we wouldn't be able to keep Apple in check. They are raising these prices against what they had agreed to do. If they wanted to charge this in the beginning it would have been fine, its Apple that is getting rich, not all the lawyers.

These lawyers did get a lot of money but there are probably lots of them and they worked hard. Its not one or two lawyers getting this money, its hundreds. They spent a lot of their own money on this litigation, went to school for a very long time and put a lot of effort into it.

I am definitely signing up for this rebate, if not for anything else than a few free songs (whether at .99 or .69!).