Android tops iOS in total mobile apps downloaded, still trails per user

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    Very sensible mature post.



    Good luck here at AI.



    Thanks, I tried. I don't bash on what people use. We use it because it is what is right/best for us. During the firesale I picked up an HP Touchpad. It is a fun web device, def. not top drawer, but it works well for what it is Cyanogen was working on an Android port, but the last update killed the dual boot.



    I am not gonna hate on it because it isn't Android. I just picked it up because it seemed interesting, and fun to use.



    Enjoy destroying my post.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ormada View Post


    Thanks, I tried. I don't bash on what people use. We use it because it is what is right/best for us. During the firesale I picked up an HP Touchpad. It is a fun web device, def. not top drawer, but it works well for what it is Cyanogen was working on an Android port, but the last update killed the dual boot.



    I am not gonna hate on it because it isn't Android. I just picked it up because it seemed interesting, and fun to use.



    Enjoy destroying my post.



    I'm an iOS guy, but I enjoyed both of your first two posts (haven't read further before I posted this reply). You're, imho, more welcome here than absolute and couple other android fanatics.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ormada View Post


    Thanks, I tried. I don't bash on what people use. We use it because it is what is right/best for us. During the firesale I picked up an HP Touchpad. It is a fun web device, def. not top drawer, but it works well for what it is Cyanogen was working on an Android port, but the last update killed the dual boot.



    I am not gonna hate on it because it isn't Android. I just picked it up because it seemed interesting, and fun to use.



    Enjoy destroying my post.



    I won't destroy your post but I am curious as to what you are doing here. If your aim is not to evangelize for Android, then what?
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    I won't destroy your post but I am curious as to what you are doing here. If your aim is not to evangelize for Android, then what?



    I'm going to assume this news article was added to his RSS feed due to it's inclusion of "Android" and he came because he was compelled to offer his perspective to "the other side"



    I know it's why myself and a few other Android fans are here.
  • Reply 25 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post


    I'm an iOS guy, but I enjoyed both of your first two posts (haven't read further before I posted this reply). You're, imho, more welcome here than absolute and couple other android fanatics.



    Like the good ol boy black man is more welcome than the one who wonders why he has a different water fountain?
  • Reply 26 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post


    I won't destroy your post but I am curious as to what you are doing here. If your aim is not to evangelize for Android, then what?



    I work in IT, and I am a serious phone whore. I love technology, and the the crazy advances that are being brought about in smaller and smaller form factors are insane.

    When I install new servers which cost 20k a pop, then one of our other guys roll in a new EMC VNX (Just an insane system.) Million dollars of power.

    I look at the phone arena in the same light. Constant innovation. What makes EMC stand out against other powerhouses fighting for our cash? Same with phones. When you walk into Sprint/ATT/Verizon/T-Mobile, you have at least a dozen or so smart phones available. Costing from $99-$200.

    I have owned 6 phones in one year. Just buy, and keep. Trying them all, curious for the one that really fits me, and is a joy to have. I loved the Evo 4G, but the Motorola Photon blew it away, however their inability to match it with a good screen killed it for me. It flickered due to the low quality of the PenTile display. Engadget gave it rave reviews, but I couldn't agree with them, nor any other reviewer on the screen. So I moved on to check out the Evo 3D. Blazing fast CPU, heavy as a brick, good solid phone. No issues or hangups, period.



    Back to the topic at hand. I am here for really, for one reason. Curiosity. There are always bash wars for XBOX/PS3, WIN/MAC,EMC/IBM, Your mother/his mother. It really boils down to what fits you, and fits you well. I personally will say what majority of Android users will say, I love my Swype keyboard, and I love personalizing my device.

    Best described as, 5 minutes of Spring Cleaning and you have a radically different device. The large 4.3" screen allows for a mild laptop replacement, which is always with me. With heavy use, 15 hours is plenty for me. I can take pictures, post them to Wordpress, call, chat, browse, download pictures/vids,etc.



    Since I own an Android phone, I tend to hang out on Android specific sites. Sometimes we get people in there just to disrupt and create wars on the boards for the soul purpose of killing the thread. I felt that maybe the news and info I was getting about the other green grass is sent through a filter, so I ventured over to see for myself. I started reading posts in the forum and thought that maybe I could give my experiences.

    Before long, after just reading through a few unrelated posts in other areas, I soon began to realize that my kind (Android/WP7) is not wanted in these parts.



    Never meant to stir the coals. Just wanted to have some gentlemen like conversations.



    - Ormada -
  • Reply 27 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    I'm going to assume this news article was added to his RSS feed due to it's inclusion of "Android" and he came because he was compelled to offer his perspective to "the other side"



    I know it's why myself and a few other Android fans are here.



    I have a website, but it is about photography and journalism (just started), and only a side is about technology/space. Nothing really posted in that area yet.
  • Reply 28 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ormada View Post


    All my coworkers except for one are Android users. I myself have about 70-80 apps installed currently on my phone. I have a ton of space free, but just don't need anything else. Only when I need something, I will go hunt it down. As for my friends also using Android, I think they are hovering right around the same amount. One coworker (which the rest of us complain to), pirates his applications. Personally, this upsets me. It just turns out to hurt the eco-system for end users. Devs. see their apps in use, but do not see the sold number going up.

    I have used the ipod (2nd gen touch), then moved to the Android platform, then was put off by lack of updates, then moved Windows Phone 7 (I believe it feels unfinished, lacking features, odd bugs, but it is very fun and classy). In the end though, I couldn't shake the ROM bug and was back at it with Android once more.



    I think the reasons as to why I never installed too many apps in the past was due to Android getting shaky in reliability after so many were installed. Maybe others haven't had this experience, but I sadly did. The newest rev. 2.3.3 is pretty solid, and the only issues I have are the bloody GUI overlays that HTC just HAS to put on their phones. Granted, Sense 3.0 is pretty slick, but I would rather have vanilla any day.



    Just a side note, Google keeps a nice list of software you have purchased, or installed for free under the Market place. Just Market>Option button>My Apps.



    Gives a breakdown of Current Updates/Installed/Not Installed.



    I hope I answered a few questions as an Android user.



    To be honest, one of the biggest issues/complaints Android users nearly all agree on are the carrier installed installed junk. They just hog memory/cpu cycles and do nothing of use. That is why I think ICS4.0 will be great! Give users a chance to stop that junk without rooting the device. Even thought I enjoy rooting/romming, I prefer to do it for fun, not because I want my new phone to just be stable.



    EDIT: Interesting to see how everyone flames one another, even though everyone here hates Android. Just trying to say something and diffuse a little misinformation has felt like trying to put out an oil fire with a water bottle.



    - Ormada -



    So in ICS the carriers are not allow to put any bloatware on the phones that's cool

    Can you give me a link to this information sounds interesting?
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrSLY View Post


    So in ICS the carriers are not allow to put any bloatware on the phones that's cool

    Can you give me a link to this information sounds interesting?



    they can but ICS includes the native ability to fully disable (possibly uninstall) all or most nonessential system applications.



    Not what I'd hope for, but it's a start.
  • Reply 30 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    they can but ICS includes the native ability to fully disable (possibly uninstall) all or most nonessential system applications.



    Not what I'd hope for, but it's a start.



    http://www.productiveorganizer.com/t...pps-bloatware/



    http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...to-know-954464

    (Mediocre review)
  • Reply 31 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post


    they can but ICS includes the native ability to fully disable (possibly uninstall) all or most nonessential system applications.



    Not what I'd hope for, but it's a start.



    So that means the vendor or carrier remove that feature from the OS so it's like "open" versions of Android that the carrier or vendor can lock down?
  • Reply 32 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So that means the vendor or carrier remove that feature from the OS so it's like "open" versions of Android that the carrier or vendor can lock down?





    Basically, Android is free for anyone who wants to use it. But, HTC, Motorola, or Samsung, etc, take the boot loaders which control the OS boot and lock it. That way, end users have no way of getting into the device and changing the way it is set. As for the carriers, I have NO clue as to why they want to put their half assed programming on the phones. A vanilla Android device is leaps and bounds more stable, speedy, and longer battery life than how you bought the phone.



    However, there are ways around this. For one, HTC has opened up to the developer call to unlock their boot loaders. They have, to a point. Just enough to allow root access, which then you can get in and remove all the carrier created trash. The major downside to this method is, in the case of my Evo 4G, if you remove the carrier loaded apps, you are nullifying ANY and ALL chances you have of ever getting an OTA OS update. Unless you pull some snazzy stuff, or smash your phone. The OTA calls the device, and has each carrier added app call home. When it doesn't answer (because it has been trashed), the carriers system see's it as not there. So, you are stuck with roms.



    And yes, if the carriers/vendors wanted to be giant fools, they could most likely remove that feature from the OS. That is why many people are willing to pay full price (500-700$) for a Vanilla Nexus.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    So that means the vendor or carrier remove that feature from the OS so it's like "open" versions of Android that the carrier or vendor can lock down?



    Possibly..we'll probably know more once the first non nexus ICS device is released. Either way it's a crappy model and one of the many valid complaints about Android I read on many sites (pro and anti Android)
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Despite besting iOS in total mobile app downloads for the first time ever, Android's downloads per user are still only half that of Apple's.



    I wonder how many of those Android app downloads contained viruses or were downloaded by viruses?
  • Reply 35 of 86
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NukemHill View Post


    According to Apple, they've sold over 250 million iOS devices (specifically pointed out during the beginning of the iPhone 4S intro at the beginning of October). According to Google, during their quarterly CC the next week, they've activated 190 million Android devices.



    Therefore (and I know math is hard for you Droid-droids, but bear with me), head-to-head, Apple has almost 57% of the market (250m/440m), while Android has 43% of the market (190m/440m). So, "giving the Android's installed based a 2.4-to-1 advantage against iOS devices" is absolute and utter crap.



    Go to the sources, guys. Go to the sources. Stop relying on brain-dead analysts. They're agenda-driven.



    I saw this report over at GigaOm a few hours ago, and the first thing that struck me was that there was no way in hell that Android had a 2.4:1 user lead over Apple.



    Google says that they have 190 million activations. 190 divided by 2.4 is about 80 million.



    Even if we were just talking about iPhone, there are way more than 80 million in use. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Apple has sold more than 80 million iPhone 4 devices.



    We also can't forget that many of the Android devices don't have access to the Android market.



    And since iPad and ipod apps come from the same store, this report is obviously complete bullshit.
  • Reply 36 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    The iOS app store is far more evolved than the Android app store, both in content and quality. Anybody with a brain and anybody who wishes to make money is choosing iOS to release their apps on. All of the best apps are on iOS but not the other way around. I just bought the Animoog synth app from Moog a few days ago, freakin' great! Do you think that such apps exist for Android? Not a chance sucker.



    The Android app situation can be summed up with three simple words, complete fucking garbage. If you're a person who appreciates quality and you want a ton of good apps, both to purchase and for free, then you choose iOS. If you're a person who is a fucking cheapskate who got their phone for cheap or for free and looking at a moving wallpaper is what you consider to be productive, and you don't mind nasty malware, and you don't mind the horribly limited selection, then you choose Android. It's all about saving a buck.



    IOS users put their money where their mouths are. They don't mind spending money for quality apps. Android users put their mouths where their asses are. They are cheap, they whine, they complain, and they probably buy most of their clothes at Conway, walking around with those ugly pink bags.



    Android users disgust me. If you want to use Android, then fine, good for you. But don't come here and even mildly pretend that Android is even comparable to iOS. Just admit that Android fucking blows and then at least you people will be honest. The only way I could ever see myself using Android is if I were a homeless bum and I was looking for a new phone, and all I had to my name was some loose change in my pocket.



    Interesting ... revealing ...



    Get help soon.



    Best of luck.
  • Reply 37 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pauldfullerton View Post


    I wonder how many of those Android app downloads contained viruses or were downloaded by viruses?



    lol you guys remind me of fox news viewers who think there are 2500 times as many immigrants in the US as there actually are.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    I keep telling stupid analysts that this can't be done. This comparisons are not valid. Android is like the PC version of computer OS like Mac vs PC. Mac, iOS, are manufactured by Apple, and only themselves. However, on the other team, Google use different supplies like samsung, htc, motorola, who the heck knows what happens in chinese knockoffs or cheap products using android since it's an open based software. It's like saying a fish fighting huge packs of piranhas. Who's the name of the analyst again? He's stupid, don't know where he puts his brains
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LTMP View Post


    I saw this report over at GigaOm a few hours ago, and the first thing that struck me was that there was no way in hell that Android had a 2.4:1 user lead over Apple.



    Google says that they have 190 million activations. 190 divided by 2.4 is about 80 million.



    Even if we were just talking about iPhone, there are way more than 80 million in use. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Apple has sold more than 80 million iPhone 4 devices.



    We also can't forget that many of the Android devices don't have access to the Android market.



    And since iPad and ipod apps come from the same store, this report is obviously complete bullshit.



    Non Android market having products aren't included in the counts...



    however I do agree that 2.4 to 1 does sound a bit odd. There are what? 250 million iOS devices out there or more? not sure how that breaks between the 3 iOS devices but I'm sure iPhones account for more than 1/3 of that number. (not iPhone 4s though, but 3GS and 4)



    I wouldn't even believe 2:1 maybe he meant 1.4:1 which makes a lot more sense.
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodguy.1804 View Post


    I keep telling stupid analysts that this can't be done. This comparisons are not valid. Android is like the PC version of computer OS like Mac vs PC. Mac, iOS, are manufactured by Apple, and only themselves. However, on the other team, Google use different supplies like samsung, htc, motorola, who the heck knows what happens in chinese knockoffs or cheap products using android since it's an open based software. It's like saying a fish fighting huge packs of piranhas. Who's the name of the analyst again? He's stupid, don't know where he puts his brains



    unless of course it's a study by analysts that put Apple in the defacto lead, then the analyst is a genius right?



    confirmation bias...gotta love it.
Sign In or Register to comment.