Sprint says iPhone most network-efficient smartphone and "worth every penny"

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    I am curious to see how this holds up now that the iPhone is as connected to the cloud as Android phones are.

The whole "efficient" line is BS. It's efficient from the carrier's perspective, not the user's. Cloud computing will require high data usage.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    jahonenjahonen Posts: 364member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Sprint's top executive said this week that Apple's new iPhone is its most network-efficient smartphone, using some 50% less data than comparable Android handsets.

Even if it is more efficient data volume-wise, it is not network load wise. It is one of the worst offenders and causing operators across the globe major headaches. Not due to data volumes, but due to the load it causes on signalling and paging.

Regs, Jarkko
  • Reply 23 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

So, see if I have this straight. If iPhone uses 50% data and network loads may be "actually reduced" then why is AT&T scraping their unlimited data plans? Didn't they say iPhone users were the heaviest users and that their network was getting clogged because of them?

Are you lying to me again AT&T?

Actually, they are specificly talking iphone 4S. And remember the new iphone has that new atenia design. So it g possible with previous iphones this wouldn't have been the case. AT&T then couldve had a reason to do this. But of course AT&T network was never made for this many customers.

Anyway, Sprint has never been known for its speeds but has breen known for a network that works when it should.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    I am going to go all philosopher here on you all. I apologize...

Define your terms!

Look, it is entirely possible that Sprint is telling the truth, that the phone is more efficient, and that AT&T is also telling the truth that it is using more data. Not only can the new OS be more efficient, and the new antenna as well, but it may be that AT&T is simply simply worried about the overall data while sprint is talking about the data used for comparable actions.

If i use twice the data to check the weather on an Andriod phone as an iPhone, Sprint is correct. If I use the iPhone 3 times as much, AT&T is also correct.

There simply isn't enough information here to leap to the conclusions some of you are making...
  • Reply 25 of 31
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jahonen View Post

Even if it is more efficient data volume-wise, it is not network load wise. It is one of the worst offenders and causing operators across the globe major headaches. Not due to data volumes, but due to the load it causes on signalling and paging.

Regs, Jarkko

Someone disagrees with you...

"Since Apple makes iPhone apps meet network efficiency thresholds, iPhone apps tend to ?ping? networks less often than other mobile operating systems do. Cutting down on app ?noise? lets carriers operate their networks in a more productive and ultimately more profitable manner. ?It?s almost like a Prius,? said Hesse, comparing the iPhone to Toyota?s fuel-efficient car."
  • Reply 26 of 31
    I hate Sprint as an investor.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Seeing as how the most popular android phone with Sprint is the EVO, and it has WiMAX, maybe the whole "efficient" thing has nothing to do with the OS.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shen View Post

Someone disagrees with you...

"Since Apple makes iPhone apps meet network efficiency thresholds, iPhone apps tend to ?ping? networks less often than other mobile operating systems do. Cutting down on app ?noise? lets carriers operate their networks in a more productive and ultimately more profitable manner. ?It?s almost like a Prius,? said Hesse, comparing the iPhone to Toyota?s fuel-efficient car."

Not necessarily. There's a big sifference in "ping" every minute but leave connection open vs. Ping every 5, but teardown all my connections down immediately.

The latter is far worse for a mobile network. Guess which appeoach iOS uses? Noste that iOS is not the only offender.

Do a search for fast dormancy to get a whiff of the issue.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In a recent report, AppleInsider found that Sprint's 3G service on the 4S was nearly unusable in both San Francisco and Los Angeles.

I haven't had a problem - except in the Caltrain tunnels between Bayshore and 22nd Street. Complete loss of Sprint signal, while I see others still talking and texting merrily away (presumably on AT&T or Verizon). Otherwise, I haven't had a Sprint problem in San Francisco, whether texting, calling, using maps, etc.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by now4real954 View Post

well here is what I have to say on the subject...I know a bunch of people that have Sprint service and had been dying to have the iPhone...

AND NOT ONE OF THEM IS COMPLAINING ABOUT THE PHONE OR SERVICE!!!

that is a fact...they are so happy that they don't have to put up with those pathetic, useless and downright crappy ass Android or BB phones anymore...

+1

Been with Sprint since 1998; I've never seen enough material difference between any of the carriers to justify the hassle of changing; I'm fully pleased with Sprint's performance vis a vis the iPhone, with the exception I noted in a post above.

And my BB - still trying to decide the best way to off it...
  • Reply 31 of 31
    shawnbshawnb Posts: 155member
    Maybe the excess data usage is from all those Andridiots watching crappy flash videos?

Sprint is investing in 3G iPhones for data efficiency while everyone else is investing in the even more-efficient LTE technology. Way to go, Sprint!