Apple board member Andrea Jung facing scrutiny at Avon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Andrea Jung, who has served on Apple's board of directors since 2008, is under fire for performance at her day job, as CEO of cosmetics company Avon.

Jung has been chief executive of Avon since November of 2009, but criticism toward her has grown lately after a series of missteps at the company. On Thursday, it was revealed that Avon is currently the subject of two investigations from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

One of those investigations seeks to find out whether the company has bribed overseas officials, stemming from allegations out of China and Latin America. A second investigation includes a subpoena from the SEC seeking details on conversations held between Avon officials and analysts at Citigroup regarding company performance, financial health, and Avon's own investigations into bribery allegations.

In addition, the company also scrapped its sales targets during a quarterly conference call on Thursday, the latest in what some see as "a pattern of operational missteps," according to The Wall Street Journal. Directors at Avon continue to support Jung, but Avon shares dropped 18 percent on Thursday alone.

The report said that Jung is working on a fix for the company's current problems, as well as a long-term plan expected to be introduced by the first quarter. Jung declined to provide comment when speaking to analysts on Thursday, but added: "The buck stops with me."

Outside of Avon, Jung is the only woman on Apple's board of directors, where she has held a seat since January of 2008. Jung is the co-lead director of the Apple Board of Directors, a position she took in 2010, and she is also the head of Apple's compensation committee.

Apple's board of directors has entered what some view as an uncertain era following the passing of Steve Jobs. Outsiders now wonder if Apple will choose an independent chairman -- someone from outside of the company -- to head its board of directors.

In addition to Jung, the board includes former U.S. vice president Al Gore, Genentech Chairman Arthur Levinson, J. Crew CEO Millard Drexler, Intuit Chairman Bill Campbell, former CEO of Northrop Grumman Corporation Ronald D. Sugar, and Apple CEO Tim Cook. At just seven people, it's a smaller-than-average board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Well if they release her from the board for immoral activities, Al Gore should go too. Surely politicians aren't squeaky clean. I hope Avon doesn't go bankrupt, I don't wear makeup (LOL) but that company has been around forever, since I was a kid.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Is that the face you want at the helm of a cosmetics company!

Maybe they should have the tagline "cosmetics so good that even this guy can look suspiciously like a woman" lol.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well if they release her from the board for immoral activities, Al Gore should go too. Surely politicians aren't squeaky clean. I hope Avon doesn't go bankrupt, I don't wear makeup (LOL) but that company has been around forever, since I was a kid.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Maybe they should have the tagline "cosmetics so good that even this guy can look suspiciously like a woman" lol.

Wow. The first two comments and both are unsupported personal attacks for no reason whatsoever.

I don't know which is lamer, the first one that accuses Al Gore of "immoral" deeds without any evidence or even details, or the one that simply goes personal and attacks the way a complete stranger looks.

Real classy.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wow. The first two comments and both are unsupported personal attacks for no reason whatsoever.

I don't know which is lamer, the first one that accuses Al Gore of "immoral" deeds without any evidence or even details, or the one that simply goes personal and attacks the way a complete stranger looks.

Real classy.

'On the Internet no one can hear people being tools.'
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Why is is Bill Campbell from Intuit on Apple's board yet Intuit has very little commitment to the Mac with their software.

CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghyde View Post

Why is is Bill Campbell from Intuit on Apple's board yet Intuit has very little commitment to the Mac with their software.

CAN ANYONE ANSWER THIS FOR ME?

Because Bill used to be an executive at Apple until Steve left. He had been a friend of Steve's ever since. Tim Cook calls him "The Coach".
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I was always a bit puzzled that Jung was chosen in the first place.

Perhaps it was an attempt to cover three bases at once -- woman, Asian, consumer products -- and I am sure she was amazing at some point in her early career, but it was not obvious that there was anything particularly remarkable about the trajectory of her career around the time that Steve brought her on.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Expect an AvonPhone announcement at any moment.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Meesa think Jarjar Binks would like.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Anyone else read that last sentence in the voice of Yogi Bear?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    dbtincdbtinc Posts: 134member
    Quote:

you mean she was banging steve?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    Quote:

Well if they release her from the board for immoral activities, Al Gore should go too.

The world is so full of crooked politicians that there's hardly room to breathe and you're criticizing Al Gore, of all people?! That's pretty pathetic.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Why is that woman on Apple's board? What does Avon have to do with hi-tech?

And politicians should not be on Apple's board or on any board.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Watch out, someone will come to protect Gore. Again. Would like to know if he turns off the lights in the board room.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Anyone else read that last sentence in the voice of Yogi Bear?

That's right, Booboo boy!
  • Reply 16 of 20
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Sad to see such personal attacks from people who has done nothing to enrich other people's life. Totally sad.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Is it typical for a board of directors for one company to be composed of so many folks who are CEO, CFO, CTO, Chairman, etc of other companies?

Must be nice to have that kind of time on your hands.

Why would you want to "independent" outsider to be your chairman? Why not promote from within and reward long time hard working dedicated employees with those positions? Or maybe Apple needs another Sculley to run in to the brink of bankruptcy so they can have another major rebound - but who would lead that effort? I'd do it - where do I send my resume?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:

Andrea Jung facing scrutiny

"She" is really a man.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Why is that woman on Apple's board? What does Avon have to do with hi-tech?

1- Opinion of random stranger on board's composition

2- Opinion of Steve Jobs.

I'll go with Steve's.

(anyway, if I may add, and I will anyway, having the tunnel vision of tech guys at the helm of Apple would tell you that phones are a bad market to enter, Apple cannot make a tv, tablets are a horrible idea and go PC! Diversity at the helm, imho, is a good thing. So, being another random stranger, my opinion cancels yours out )
  • Reply 20 of 20
    It always surprises me when people are shocked a CEO is a whore and crook (regardless of gender). I'm only shocked when I find out the exact opposite.