Where do you see Apple in 10 years?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Commodification View Post

I really think that Steve Jobs understood that (when done properly) people love electronic devices because they can act as extensions of our nervous system. When something is intuitive and 'just works', we naturally respond to it as if it's a new limb and an extension of ourselves (we feel empowered). This is also the reason why people hate to learn/relearn some new (and poorly designed) device or software upgrade because it feels as if a limb as been removed and sewn somewhere it doesn't belong.

One of the unintended problems of having really smart techie people making computers is that they understand programs and functions that most people don?t. So when they?re done with their project they think it?s really easy to use, but when it gets handed over to the masses they end up being totally frustrated with it?s complexity and non-intuitiveness. This is where Steve Jobs was brilliant, by bringing artists into the mix he was able to get a better understanding on how to make things easier and more intuitive to use, and finding creative new uses for the technology that were previously unheard of.

?Our Age of Anxiety is, in great part, the result of trying to do today's job with yesterday's tools and yesterday's concepts." ― Marshall McLuhan

I agree with you. Wasn't it Technology mixed with liberal arts. He didn't really state that in the Keynotes until some where around 2009.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I think that John Ive will no longer be with Apple.

This will NOT happen if either party is intelligent at all.

Quote:

?I had thought that that interface would be integrated into the 10.7 OS. I was wrong.

Well, yeah. It's about two decades too early for that.

Quote:

I still believe that there will be a 3D Desktop with OS X some where down the line.

Nope. Won't be called OS X or it won't be 3D. They're definitionally exclusive.

Quote:

Think of it this way. You come home in your electric car and park in the garage. You use a bio signature to enter your house or your iPhone allows you in by scanning your thumb and then when you walk in your Apple Television (or apple device) detects your presence and greets you as you say hello to it it asks you if you would like to take a shower? You say yes in 10 minutes and the Television (or Apple device) interfaces with your house and starts the shower for you in that 10 minutes. Of course your Apple device can do much more like make coffee or turn up the heat in your house as you need it too. Controlling your house through Apple device Just an idea.

I'm confused. I thought this thread was about 2021 not 2081. I personally don't believe this will EVER happen because people refuse to build out tech when it's more profitable for them to not, and people actively prevent tech from being profitable for them to build out.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm confused. I thought this thread was about 2021 not 2081. I personally don't believe this will EVER happen because people refuse to build out tech when it's more profitable for them to not, and people actively prevent tech from being profitable for them to build out.

Really, being confused is ok. Just remember its about opinion and not fact.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Really, being confused is ok. Just remember its about opinion and not fact.

Thing is, there's having an opinion and having a POD seventy-five years ago where no World War II allowed for much faster development of technology.

One's believable. The other can't happen in this universe. It will have happened in at least one other, but THAT vision ten years out from here? Not possible.

MAYBE if you're a billionaire that doesn't mind blowing three million on a brand new house wired to do all this. Maybe. But not for any existing houses and not for anyone but the super-rich.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Thing is, there's having an opinion and having a POD seventy-five years ago where no World War II allowed for much faster development of technology.

One's believable. The other can't happen in this universe. It will have happened in at least one other, but THAT vision ten years out from here? Not possible.

MAYBE if you're a billionaire that doesn't mind blowing three million on a brand new house wired to do all this. Maybe. But not for any existing houses and not for anyone but the super-rich.

We already have the capability to control our thermostat or maybe see into our house via computer or smart phone. I think attaching a wireless device to our faucet's or maybe to any other part of our house allowing a smart device to activate it doesn't really seem impossible. Any way I respect your opinion. Thank you.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    phongphong Posts: 219member
    Seriously? I don't think it's out of the question to think that in 10 years Apple will be in the business of making cars. Yes, cars.

At the very least, I expect them to be making operating systems for cars, specifically self-driving AIs.

I know it sounds crazy, but already navigation is very simple and convenient, whereas once it wasn't. Can you believe there was a time when people actually stopped to ask for directions? I mean, asking a flesh and blood human being, not Siri. How much further is it until we're able to ask Siri to just drive us where we want to go. If not 10 years than 15 or 20, but taking into account accelerating change as hypothesized by Kurzweil, it's probably much sooner than 20 years.

Let's be crystal clear honest about this... would you trust a car to drive you made by Apple or by OEMs running licensed versions of Windows Auto 3 or maybe an "open" copy of Google Road tracking your driving habits and advertising you places other than where you want to go?
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Quote:

Thats ok buddy you'll survive.