HTC tops Apple in Q3 US smartphones but predicts weak Q4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Only the elite can afford to take cruise ships. That would explain your answer.

Have you actually checked the prices of Cruises lately? Sometimes they are cheaper than staying home!
  • Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulSorensen View Post

Withdrawn - that article definitely buried the lead.

'Lede', in case you were interested in the proper spelling?

Correction: Apparently it can be spelled both ways. I've only ever seen it spelled 'lede'. Something new learned, I suppose.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bsenka View Post

Have you actually checked the prices of Cruises lately? Sometimes they are cheaper than staying home!

Definitely cheaper per day than a vacation at a cheap hotel and 3 meals out. Add in the entertainment and the ports of call and you have a nice getaway for a low price. Of course, the cruise lines expect people to buy alcohol, gamble, and get other services, like the spa, but if you can avoid those it's pretty inexpensive. I'm a frequent cruiser. You can tell because I'll drop off this forum for 5 to 7 days.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Generally, the demographics skew towards the elderly. Grandma loves her iPhone.

Now you are just being a troll. I'm 25 and I love my iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Now you are just being a troll.

Nah, Techstud has been trolling these parts for years. The bitterness...
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Generally, the demographics skew towards the elderly. Grandma loves her iPhone.

As some one who actually worked at a AAA in their travel agency, you're batting your average with this statement.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

I see the swelling of smart phones sales as being healthy. Weather Apple is on top all the time is not so important to me. I see the competition as being healthier. I love to see the constant rise of new hardware bringing on new sales and new technology. Its good for business and good for the companies.

I agree. Particularly the cheaper smart phones sales are good for everyone, including apple. I know at least 14 people who got an entry level smart phone (their first smart phone) in the last 12 months, virtually all android devices. Now they have the taste for them, most are thinking of upgrading to a top of the range phone. Some are sticking with android, others are going to get an iPhone and others are undecided. I know that four are definately getting an iPhone in the next couple of months.

For these people, the value of a smart phone was not obvious enough to spend 500 to 600 euro on a phone, but getting one for 200 to 350 euro was an option. Now they want something more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Riding into work on the train this morning I saw many, many more iPhone's than any other brand.

This type of comment is quite common here. I see many more iPhones. I wish that judges would read this. Picking an iPhone from a Samsaung Galaxy phone is easy, even at a distance, for anyone with a bit of common sense.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

HTC must be hoping Apple will announce many new products so HTC can look good in the quarter before the new Apple products are released.

I would like to see all these sales reports broken down by profit as well as count. And then there is the ongoing problem of actual sales versus just shipped.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

I bet this is because of the "delay" in the release of iPhone4S.

I am glad HTC has something to crow about - they shipped more phones in the quarter that Apple was releasing new phone

How nice for HTC.

Say what you will, but HTC sold more smartphones than Apple in the US, and Samsung sold more worldwide. This was not the first transition quarter for Apple. But it was the first quarter in which two companies beat them in sales. We can chalk it up to the transition, or we can say, the real war on smartphones is beginning.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Now you are just being a troll. I'm 25 and I love my iPhone.

The topic was the demographics of cruise participants. Several other posters commented on the same post I commented on. Each of them correctly identified the subject matter. As did I.

Do you have anything relevant to say about cruise ship demographics and how they might affect choice of gadgets?

Please can the insults. They are never relevant.

• Reply 30 of 30
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Guys

Enough of the cruise ship talk. Let's get back on topic.

It sounds like HTC kind of blew their wad in Q3 while Apple is just getting started with a pretty fast rollout.

And grandmothers "do" love their iPhones along with everyone else.