Apple confirms iOS 5 update to address battery life bugs affecting iPhone users

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Don't forget brightness, though I would love to be able to speak these commands to Siri, too.

2) The Verizon iPhone 4 didn't have the option to turn off '3G' either. Even though that's not a real issue for a CDMA network I have to wonder if the reason for the exclusion is a limitation of the MDM66x0 chip. I say this because that's when this feature went away, not when Apple introduces to LTE to have an "Enable 4G" toggle switch.

Well I am glad to see there is going to be a fix. I just got three new iPhone 4s for the family tonight. I was a little concerned about this but I figured it was an iOS 5 problem that would get fixed soon. Interesting that it doesn't seem to impact my iPad2.
  • Reply 42 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Well I am glad to see there is going to be a fix. I just got three new iPhone 4s for the family tonight. I was a little concerned about this but I figured it was an iOS 5 problem that would get fixed soon. Interesting that it doesn't seem to impact my iPad2.

AnandTech points out the baseband (cellular modem) firmware was updated from 1.0.11 to 1.0.12. That tells me that it might be a problem with the MDM6610 chipset which is why it's only seems to be affecting the 4S.

That said, pretty much every review I've read is showing right around the same battery life as the iPhone 4 and right inline with Apple's stated times. That tells me this issue is not affecting every iPhone 4S user. I say user because it could be a universal 4S problem with the MDM6610 that is only affected by certain network environments.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcollin3k View Post

On my iPhone 4 there have been no battery issues with iOS 5, but tons of others:

Calendar app freezes & crashes first time it is launched, every time

Music app freezes every third tap of the menu or so

There is a 2-3 second delay after shaking to shuffle

Maps is so slow to load on the go it is all but unusuable

Messages freezes when first using it

Basically, just like when iOS 4 came out and I installed it on my iPhone 3G, it became useless. The issues with my iPhone 4 and iOS 5 are not quite as bad, but enough that the phone is no longer something I want to use.

Oh, and half of YouTube videos have never worked on any iPhone I've ever used, and basically in Safari on my MacBook Pro either...by not working I consider if the video takes longer to load then its actual run time, that's a fail.

There's another bug in iOS 5 with the Music app when it changes to Cover Flow mode, the app crashes. Bunch of posts on the Apple forums...hopefully that bug will be fixed soon.
  • Reply 44 of 57
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I want it repeated until ASCII colours, 000000 through FFFFFFF, are shown.

Hmm. That shouldn't be that hard of a C program to write.

I forgive almost all typos. What am I missing?
  • Reply 45 of 57
    Quote:

AnandTech points out the baseband (cellular modem) firmware was updated from 1.0.11 to 1.0.12. That tells me that it might be a problem with the MDM6610 chipset which is why it's only seems to be affecting the 4S.

That said, pretty much every review I've read is showing right around the same battery life as the iPhone 4 and right inline with Apple's stated times. That tells me this issue is not affecting every iPhone 4S user. I say user because it could be a universal 4S problem with the MDM6610 that is only affected by certain network environments.

Thanks I will check that out. Only had it in my hands since 8pm tonight so I will see how it goes. I decided to go with Verizon because they have better coverage in NE Georgia. On the Apple Community forum they were making it sound like the end of the world was near. I haven't run into too many people having a problem.
  • Reply 46 of 57
    I don't think you want to disable Auto Time... w/DST com in up this wknd!!
  • Reply 47 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blowabs View Post

I don't think you want to disable Auto Time... w/DST com in up this wknd!!

Let's hope Apple have finally gotten that figured out.
  • Reply 48 of 57
    .........meaning i could leave it off and it will still go back 2am sun. morn???
  • Reply 49 of 57
    This is the first update I would seriously not doing. I've just upgraded from the 3G and the improvement is beyond words. My battery lasts 3 days with reasonable use and the maps app actually works!

Love it!
  • Reply 50 of 57
    zyxzyx Posts: 4member
    I updated to this 5.0.1 and it did not change anything for me. 4S.
  • Reply 51 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zYx View Post

I updated to this 5.0.1 and it did not change anything for me. 4S.

Given that you're not a developer, you wouldn't be expected to notice any change or be able to give any good input whatsoever.

Uninstall it.
  • Reply 52 of 57
    zyxzyx Posts: 4member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Given that you're not a developer, you wouldn't be expected to notice any change or be able to give any good input whatsoever.

Uninstall it.

Please explain.

Whether I am a dev or not, the iDevice is still the same.

But please, do, explain.

Also, what is the difference between iOS 5 GM and iOS final? :>
  • Reply 53 of 57
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

. That tells me this issue is not affecting every iPhone 4S user. I say user because it could be a universal 4S problem with the MDM6610 that is only affected by certain network environments.

ISTM that every one of these wacky problems Apple encounters with the iPhone are limited to certain phones, and not all phones. I wonder if it is because they source parts form different manufacturers.

Many of the reported problems seem to affect subsets of users, and most of them seem to affect a minority of users. Every time Apple releases a new iPhone, it seems that some vocal minority has a huge problem.

Could it be attributed to specific alternative parts used when the mainline supplier has run dry? Maybe the mainline part skews towards one end of a too-wide tolerance, while a minority of products get one which is at the extreme other end of the tolerance?

Anybody have any info/opinions?
  • Reply 54 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

ISTM that every one of these wacky problems Apple encounters with the iPhone are limited to certain phones, and not all phones. I wonder if it is because they source parts form different manufacturers.

Many of the reported problems seem to affect subsets of users, and most of them seem to affect a minority of users. Every time Apple releases a new iPhone, it seems that some vocal minority has a huge problem.

Could it be attributed to specific alternative parts used when the mainline supplier has run dry? Maybe the mainline part skews towards one end of a too-wide tolerance, while a minority of products get one which is at the extreme other end of the tolerance?

Anybody have any info/opinions?

It could even be a variance within the same manufacturer. Take a wafer of CPUs, for instance. They are, for all intent and purposes, identical chips, but technically there are variances.

AnandTech has long speculated that Apple has sourced slightly more power efficient (in the case of the MBA) chips from Intel. This is simply isn't something you can do when you need dozens of millions per quarter, even if by the same manufacturer.

Now roll that into multi-manufacturers and you get an even more complex situation, like you mention.

To make the even more complex consider that you have two manufacturers for two different chips that work in conjunction. That's 4 different configurations: Chip 1A+Chip2A, Chip 2B+Chip2B, Chip 1A+Chip2B, & Chip2B+Chip2A. How many chips are in the iPhone?

We also can't rule out different assembly lines or plants for assembling the components on the logic board or SoC/PoPs. Sometimes I wonder these things ever work in the first place.

PS: Thanks for stopping with the annoying emoticon usage.
  • Reply 55 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ronster View Post

There's another bug in iOS 5 with the Music app when it changes to Cover Flow mode, the app crashes. Bunch of posts on the Apple forums...hopefully that bug will be fixed soon.

Probably a good ten to fifteen other bugs in the iPad version of the music app (iPhone version seems much better). I'm not encouraged that the music app isn't mentioned at all, they desperately need to make some BIG improvements to it asap.
  • Reply 56 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why would you want it?

That's not standard is it????

I can't fathom that they actually had a meeting at Apple and came up with the decision NOT to include the same app. I'd like to have been there to hear the reasoning... \
  • Reply 57 of 57
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

This is the first update I would seriously not doing. I've just upgraded from the 3G and the improvement is beyond words. ..

Love it!

I can't tell if you're living in the past or the future. You must be from Vancouver, BC or California.