Apple testing iTunes Match on Apple TV with iTunes 10.5.1 beta 2

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday issued iTunes 10.5.1 beta 2 to developers, adding support for iTunes Match on the Apple TV set-top box.

In addition to new Apple TV support for iTunes Match, iTunes 10.5.1 beta 2 includes "a number of important stability and performance improvements," according to a person familiar with the release. The Cupertino, Calif., company told developers interested in trying out iTunes Match on an Apple TV unit to first upgrade to the new beta and then turn on the service in the Music settings for the device.

Apple is already a few days late in delivering iTunes Match to the public, as the company had previously said the service would launch by the end of October. People involved in the beta test had reported that the service still has a number of issues, such as stalling or incorrect matching, that needed to be resolved, but it's not yet clear whether those issues have been addressed in the most recent iTunes beta.

Apple seeded iTunes 10.5.1 beta 1 to developers in October shortly after releasing iTunes 10.5 to the public.

When it's released to the public, iTunes Match will cost $24.99 per year and support music libraries as large as 25,000 songs. The service will scan iTunes collections to find songs that match up with those on offer on the iTunes Music Store, making them available via iCloud.

Apple also issued an iOS 5.0.1 beta on Wednesday, with fixes meant to address a battery life issue on iOS 5 devices. But, some developers report experiencing issues with installing and activating the update. According to the company, the update will arrive in "a few weeks."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Maybe this is common knowledge ... But what happens if you stop paying for iTunes Match after a year?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Maybe this is common knowledge ... But what happens if you stop paying for iTunes Match after a year?

What happens about what?

If you have downloaded the songs, they are on your computer/iOS device and stay there unless you delete them.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

What happens about what?

If you have downloaded the songs, they are on your computer/iOS device and stay there unless you delete them.

In case others missed previous discussions of iTunes Match it's a way to replace low bitrate songs with DRM-free 256Kbps AAC files.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

In case others missed previous discussions of iTunes Match it's a way to replace low bitrate songs with DRM-free 256Kbps AAC files.

... and in case your iTunes Plus upgrade is more than $24.99, this is an amazing deal if just for that. I know I'll be getting this at least for one year to take DRM and upgrade the quality of my pre-iTunes plus music collection.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

... and in case your iTunes Plus upgrade is more than $24.99, this is an amazing deal if just for that. I know I'll be getting this at least for one year to take DRM and upgrade the quality of my pre-iTunes plus music collection.

Need to have more than 83 songs of DRMed 128Kbps iTunes songs to upgrade to make the numbers work out.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Its like a subscription based deal. So if you don't pay for the next year then the service will not work.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    c4rlobc4rlob Posts: 277member
    I'm getting it on my Apple TV tonight already. But I'm not a developer, so I'm not sure why it's showing up if I can't do anything with it in iTunes yet.

• Reply 8 of 20
    Is iTunes match going to allow the user to download the entire library as drm protected apple music, or is it just of you are streaming the music off the cloud?
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wakeboard8787 View Post

Is iTunes match going to allow the user to download the entire library as drm protected apple music, or is it just of you are streaming the music off the cloud?

Maybe try reading Apple's page about it.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

iTunes Store music started dropping DRM in 2007 with EMI, all music went DRM-free on January 6th, 2009 (almost 3 years ago), and no 256Kbps AAC file from iTS has ever had DRM.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

iTunes Store music started dropping DRM in 2007 with EMI, all music went DRM-free on January 6th, 2009 (almost 3 years ago), and no 256Kbps AAC file from iTS has ever had DRM.

Thanks for that, but really the main reason I was asking is is it downloadable to replace your current library, or just the songs that you stream that will be iTunes store quality music (do the songs that you didn't have as iTunes quality music to away when you cancel your subscription)?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Thanks for that, but really the main reason I was asking is is it downloadable to replace your current library, or just the songs that you stream that will be iTunes store quality music (do the songs that you didn't have as iTunes quality music to away when you cancel your subscription)?

Yes: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...44#post1980644

And if you're using it just for this conversion loophole you have to have more than 83 FairPlay encrypted 128Kbps songs to make it profitable: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...53#post1980653

Now lets assume your iTunes Match subscriptions end and then after that you lose your music. All the music you can then re-download from iTunes Store will still be in the format you bought them, so if they were 128Kbps DRMed music you'll get that again, unless you want to pay for iTunes Match again and redo this process of re-downloading all over again. Pros and cons, so you have to weigh it against how much music you have and how you listen to it.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Its like a subscription based deal. So if you don't pay for the next year then the service will not work.

But if you have already downloaded all the songs, it won't matter (except for redownlaoding them).
  • Reply 14 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Any ideas on the 25,000 limit? Is that based upon an annual maximum or the number in your iTunes library?

By way of explanation ... 25,000 have been downloaded. Now if 10,000 of the newly downloaded high bit rate versions were moved out of the iTunes library would that free up another 10,000 downloads or is the cap already met?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Any ideas on the 25,000 limit? Is that based upon an annual maximum or the number in your iTunes library?

By way of explanation ... 25,000 have been downloaded. Now if 10,000 of the newly downloaded high bit rate versions were moved out of the iTunes library would that free up another 10,000 downloads or is the cap already met?

Just a guess, but I don't think Apple isn't going to be that protective about iTM. I would suggest that those with more than 25,000 (likely ill-gotten) tracks of low quality to break up your iTunes Libraries into separate sections as I would guess you'll have to rebuild the entire iTM DB each time you attempt this.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

1128Kbps FairPlay encrypted songs

That should shut up the audiophiles
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Does anyone have any insight into what iTunes Match support on AppleTV would mean? To my understanding iTunes match allows you to download any of your tracks to any iOS or Lion device; it is not streaming. (Although it has been speculated that it might be a streaming service in the future.) Given that the 2nd gen AppleTV is basically a streaming-only device, with no onboard storage, what would iTunes Match do -- just let you see what you have out there? Or is this an indication that it will become a streaming service sooner rather than later?
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Dah Huh?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe try reading Apple's page about it.

Makes no sense Huh????
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by galevin View Post

To my understanding iTunes match allows you to download any of your tracks to any iOS or Lion device; it is not streaming.

Whether or not it's technically streaming doesn't matter much. In the case of the aTV they can either have it download the files you play, stream them, or download them then delete automatically after done playing. The last two options should look the same to the user.

In general, there's nothing stopping Apple from having Match behave differently on different devices.