Apple remains top US smartphone maker as iPhone holds 28% share

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
With the iPhone representing 28 percent of smartphones in the U.S., Apple is still the No. 1 domestic smartphone manufacturer, according to the latest data from Nielsen.

While Apple remains the top smartphone maker, Google Android also retained its place as the most popular smartphone operating system in America. The survey found that Google's Android is the operating system on 43 percent of smartphones in the U.S.

Those numbers are unchanged from Nielsen's previous report issued in September, when the research firm also found a 28 percent share for the iPhone and 43 percent share for Android. In fact, Apple's 28 percent market share was also present in June.

Coming in third in the latest results, released on Thursday, was Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform, which accounted for 18 percent of smartphones. Microsoft's Windows Mobile took fourth with a share of 7 percent.

In all, smartphones now represent 43 percent of active handsets in the U.S. Most customers -- 57 percent -- still use "feature phones" instead.

The latest data from Nielsen did find that most adults aged 18 to 44 have, however, made the jump to a smartphone. A total of 62 percent of adults between the ages of 25 and 34 reported owning a smartphone, while the age groups of 18-to-24 and 35-to-44 were both said to have around 54 percent smartphone penetration.

But smartphones are much less popular outside of those age groups, dragging down the overall national average. Smartphone penetration in the 56-to-64 age group is just 30 percent -- up 5 percent in the quarter -- while 40 percent of children ages 12 through 17 reported owning a smartphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    Makes sense, I really use my smart phone a lot since being in college. However, my father is retired, 61, its nearly impossible to talk him into having a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The older folks don't want to be "tied down".

And anyone under 13 owning a smartphone is ridiculous.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seankill View Post

Makes sense, I really use my smart phone a lot since being in college. However, my father is retired, 61, its nearly impossible to talk him into having a cell phone, much less a smartphone. The older folks don't want to be "tied down".

I'm surprised that they didn't include the 3 to 11 year old group.

(by the way... I'm around the same age as your Father... and I text, surf, send photos etc. on my BB (gave the 4s to my Wife... the BB is a company phone). Tell your old man to get with the times... )
  • Reply 3 of 50
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    I thought HTC was number one, Samsung was number two, and apple was number three?

This survey seems to give OS info, and not manufacturer info. How do we know the manufacturer breakdown among Andorid phone makers?

All that I can see from the graph is OS info.

EDIT: Here's what PC World had to say about this data:

However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter.
  • Reply 4 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I thought HTC was number one, Samsung was number two, and apple was number three?

This survey seems to give OS info, and not manufacturer info. How do we know the manufacturer breakdown among Andorid phone makers?

You missed the way AI slanted by stating 'the top US manufacture'.

HTC and Samsung are asian...
  • Reply 5 of 50
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:

My experience is different.

My parents can't nothing about computers. My father have gone 3 years in PC school and can less about computers then before.

I gave them iPhones, and they could use them directly.

They don't use all the features. Mostly because most of the websites and apps aren't in their native language, but still. They can communicate in a totally different way including having all their music with them. Something that they never had before in their life.

I am seriously thinking about throwing away my fathers mac with bootcamp and give him an iPad instead. He simply doesn't understand that knowing whats inside a computer is meaningless. Its the programs/apps and what the device can bring you. Don't spend your time learning how to change PCI cards or chase viruses on you PC. Start Safari and browse the endless world of information. Why Safari starts is irrelevant.
  • Reply 6 of 50
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    people under 17 shouldn't have smart phones because many of them can't pay for 'em.

I'm the only one in my family with a smart phone (iPhone). My brothers have dumb phones and my mom has a really dumb phone. So 1 out 4 in the 18-44 range for my family.
  • Reply 7 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheShepherd View Post

You missed the way AI slanted by stating 'the top US manufacture'.

HTC and Samsung are asian...

Ah. Yes. I didn't realize how the data had been sliced and diced.

Yep. The headline is correct. Trivial, misleading, and correct.

So which other companies are considered to be US Manufacturers of smartphones? Is there anybody besides Motorola? Does HP still count with Palm, or are they considered totally dead? Dell talked about making some smartphones, but that was just vapor, AFAIK. Does the 5 inch Streak include a phone?

IOW, are there any US manufacturers of smartphones other than Apple which are even worth mentioning?
  • Reply 8 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

I am seriously thinking about throwing away my fathers mac with bootcamp and give him an iPad instead. He simply doesn't understand that knowing whats inside a computer is meaningless.

It sounds to me like your dad is smack dab in the sweet spot of Apple's target demographic for the iPad. Do it. He'll love it.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

people under 17 shouldn't have smart phones because many of them can't pay for 'em.

• Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:

Ah. Yes. I didn't realize how the data had been sliced and diced.

Yep. The headline is correct. Trivial, misleading, and correct.

So which other companies are considered to be US Manufacturers of smartphones? Is there anybody besides Motorola? Does HP still count with Palm, or are they considered totally dead? Dell talked about making some smartphones, but that was just vapor, AFAIK. Does the 5 inch Streak include a phone?

IOW, are there any US manufacturers of smartphones other than Apple which are even worth mentioning?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/d/campaigns...omparison.aspx

Dell already has two "smartphones", although they look very outdated, so you may sorta be right lol
  • Reply 11 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'm the only one in my family with a smart phone (iPhone). My brothers have dumb phones and my mom has a really dumb phone. So 1 out 4 in the 18-44 range for my family.

Fair Enough; however, there are many kids with cars who either can't afford them or their upkeep; or they were given the car and pay only for the upkeep.
  • Reply 12 of 50
    Quote:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/d/campaigns...omparison.aspx

Dell already has two "smartphones", although they look very outdated, so you may sorta be right lol

Outdated is right. They should yank the goddamned things or update them or something.

They are an embarrassment to Dell.

So does the headline mean anything more than "Apple outsells Motorola"? I think we already knew that, but I don't think the data presented supports the statement.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    Quote:

Outdated is right. They should yank the goddamned things or update them or something.

They are an embarrassment to Dell.

Every Dell is an embarrassment to Dell
  • Reply 14 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

EDIT: Here's what PC World had to say about this data:

However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter.

1) Top smartphone maker is usually noted by sales, not by how many units you can stuff in a channel.

2) Apple sold 17.07 million iPhones in calendar Q3-2011 They sold 4.89 million Macs, which is even higher than the 4.6 million you quote. Are you purposely spreading these lies or just that bad at research?

3) It's not trivial or misleading for companies to break down per country or region. Apple even breaks down accordingly in their quarterly reports.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    How can you say US phone makers in the chart and have RIM=Canadian and all of the Android phones AND Apple phones made in asia...Google/android is a OS not a phone maker. Please make up your mind when you write a story that make sense and is consistent in form and facts. Dunderhead!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

With the iPhone representing 28 percent of smartphones in the U.S., Apple is still the No. 1 domestic smartphone manufacturer, according to the latest data from Nielsen.

While Apple remains the top smartphone maker, Google Android also retained its place as the most popular smartphone operating system in America. The survey found that Google's Android is the operating system on 43 percent of smartphones in the U.S.

Those numbers are unchanged from Nielsen's previous report issued in September, when the research firm also found a 28 percent share for the iPhone and 43 percent share for Android. In fact, Apple's 28 percent market share was also present in June.

Coming in third in the latest results, released on Thursday, was Research in Motion's BlackBerry platform, which accounted for 18 percent of smartphones. Microsoft's Windows Mobile took fourth with a share of 7 percent.

In all, smartphones now represent 43 percent of active handsets in the U.S. Most customers -- 57 percent -- still use "feature phones" instead.

The latest data from Nielsen did find that most adults aged 18 to 44 have, however, made the jump to a smartphone. A total of 62 percent of adults between the ages of 25 and 34 reported owning a smartphone, while the age groups of 18-to-24 and 35-to-44 were both said to have around 54 percent smartphone penetration.

But smartphones are much less popular outside of those age groups, dragging down the overall national average. Smartphone penetration in the 56-to-64 age group is just 30 percent -- up 5 percent in the quarter -- while 40 percent of children ages 12 through 17 reported owning a smartphone.

• Reply 16 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

61 is not too old. Plenty 60 somethings and older use iPhones and iPads. Some people just don't want to know, period. I have a supplier who refuses to learn the computer. He must be mid forties. His secretary does all his communication including faxing

How much does your father use a regular phone? My bet is hardly ever in which case - what does he need a cell phone for? People have different needs.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shompa View Post

My experience is different.

My parents can't nothing about computers. My father have gone 3 years in PC school and can less about computers then before.

I gave them iPhones, and they could use them directly.

They don't use all the features. Mostly because most of the websites and apps aren't in their native language, but still. They can communicate in a totally different way including having all their music with them. Something that they never had before in their life.

I am seriously thinking about throwing away my fathers mac with bootcamp and give him an iPad instead. He simply doesn't understand that knowing whats inside a computer is meaningless. Its the programs/apps and what the device can bring you. Don't spend your time learning how to change PCI cards or chase viruses on you PC. Start Safari and browse the endless world of information. Why Safari starts is irrelevant.

Like CJ said - buy him an iPad, he'll love it.

Computers are complicated for most people, not just the older folks. They are clunky, and awkward. For MANY years people including myself have been touting Mac's as 'easy to use' and 'intuitive' but the fact is that they are not and never have been. By far the easiest computer to use has always been the one you know, which is why it is hard to get people to switch. But no OS is easy.

Until IOS.
  • Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Every Dell is an embarrassment to Dell

Naw.

The newer Z series laptops have gotten good reviews (especially the new XPS 14Z http://www.dell.com/us/p/#E23CDFE5), as has their Alienware brand.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) Apple sold 17.07 million iPhones in calendar Q3-2011 They sold 4.89 million Macs, which is even higher than the 4.6 million you quote. Are you purposely spreading these lies or just that bad at research?

Likely your confusion stems from missing the highlighted words:

"However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter."

No biggie, I did too in the AI headline. This data gets sliced and diced.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Likely your confusion stems from missing the highlighted words:

"However the Apple iPhone continues its years-long streak as the leading smartphone brand in America, with 28 percent of the market. Nielsen didn't provide a further breakdown among manufacturers, but on Monday, research firm Canalys said HTC had taken the top spot in the U.S. based on shipment estimates alone. HTC shipped around 5.7 million smartphones, followed by Samsung at 4.9 million units. Apple shipped 4.6 million in the third quarter."

No biggie, I did too in the AI headline. This data gets sliced and diced.

Mea culpa, you are correct, but it should still be 4.6 million sold compared to shipped numbers for HTC and Samsung which is why Apple still tops out in the US.

Remember that channel stuffing (not that HTC and SAmsung are necessarily doing that) is not good for business, it's just a smoke and mirror tactic to make it look like you're doing well.