Steve Jobs's $450 eyeglasses a hot seller following death

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    After the move by St Croix, I refuse to believe any company that claims to be Steve's brand unless I heard his voice say it while I see his lips move
  • Reply 42 of 71
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDisco View Post

What do you really think the average motivation is for buying these glasses and a sales surge? Just curious..

Someone up thread said it was about an appreciation for the design, but why a sudden surge only after his death when he has been a highly public figure with those glasses for years? The research that goes into finding that specific brand? I don't remember it being mentioned in the book like the turtlenecks were. Slightly more effort involved then just an impulsive purchase on a whim.

I think there is a slightly different mentality then someone going to buy a Michael Jackson CD after a spike in media coverage following his death then the one that drives a spike in the sale of jeweled gloves and red leather jackets for any occasion that isn't Halloween.

You are free to disagree with this assessment as you already have, but I'd put my money if one spoke with these buyers that it has a tinge of slightly unhealthy level of hero worship and a higher then average visceral reaction to his death as a driver for the purchase.

Don't really care either way as long as they aren't spending their spare time hanging outside the guys house, but still an interesting phenomenon and discussion either way.

I think they are buying them to look like Steve.

WHAT IS UNHEALTHY ABOUT BUYING A PAIR OF GLASSES TO LOOK A LITTLE LIKE SOMEONE ELSE?

Does it add to your cholesterol? Increase your risk of pancreatic cancer?

Someone like yourself looking down your snooty nose does not impact that person's heath, so don't say that one please.

We all do it. Why do you keep calling it unhealthy? What exactly is unhealthy about buying a pair of glasses also owned by someone you know and admire? I daresay you probably factored in the popularity of the style of glasses you own, did you not?
  • Reply 43 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

I think they are buying them to look like Steve.

WHAT IS UNHEALTHY ABOUT WANTING TO LOOK LIKE SOMEONE ELSE?

We all do it. Why do you keep calling it unhealthy? What exactly is unhealthy about buying a pair of glasses also owned by someone you know and admire? I daresay you probably factored in the popularity of the style of glasses you own, did you not?

Not in the least. If I did, apparently I'd own a pair of Steve's choice of frames!

Like most normal people I buy based on what is flattering to my physical features and my personality, not the guy who made my phone or wrote a song I liked.
  • Reply 44 of 71
    Quote:

Not in the least. If I did, apparently I'd own a pair of Steve's choice of frames!

Like most normal people I buy based on what is flattering to my physical features and my personality, not the guy who made my phone or wrote a song I liked.

And what tells you how a pair of glasses flatter your personality? Is there something about a round frame that says hippie? Is there something about square lenses that says hipster chick? No, you take your cues from what others in society do, and thus, a trend.

Stop denying the obvious.

Will someone please explain how ANY justification for a choice of glasses (aside from the wrong prescription) can be unhealthy? Besides you wanting to be a busybody of course.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    They read his biography. They concluded that Steve was a visionary. Then they asked themselves the question, what enhances ones vision? The answer was, depending on which country they lived in, a pair of glasses (spectacles or vision enhancers). Give these people a break.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    Quote:

And what tells you how a pair of glasses flatter your personality? Is there something about a round frame that says hippie? Is there something about square lenses that says hipster chick? No, you take your cues from what others in society do, and thus, a trend.

Stop denying the obvious.

Will someone please explain how ANY justification for a choice of glasses (aside from the wrong prescription) can be unhealthy? Besides you wanting to be a busybody of course.

We all have style that identifies as part of a group, even when one is rebelling. It rarely, if ever, is focused on one person. A trend by its nature requires more then one person. There is a difference between a trend and a cult of celebrity. Stop being so dense.

To be a busybody one would have to care. I don't care beyond finding celebrity worship an interesting discussion, which for many, this is obviously a case of no matter how heavy you lay on the bold. We can go around in circles all you want and bold all you want, but you either aren't going to get it or not agree so I'll save us from ourselves and cut off wasting time going around and round in circles.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacShack View Post

They read his biography. They concluded that Steve was a visionary. Then they asked themselves the question, what enhances ones vision? The answer was, depending on which country they lived in, a pair of glasses (spectacles or vision enhancers). Give these people a break.

good one.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

He was referring to mental health. It is not a good sign to be obsessed with a celebrity's appearance, although it may be a perfectly natural thing depending on your age. If you choose the glasses because of who else wore them, then you maybe are acting obsessively. You may want to discuss that with someone close to you and potentially seek help.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

He was referring to mental health. It is not a good sign to be obsessed with a celebrity's appearance, although it may be a perfectly natural thing depending on your age. If you choose the glasses because of who else wore them, then you maybe are acting obsessively. You may want to discuss that with someone close to you and potentially seek help.

Thank you. In my tired state I didn't even catch the reference to physical health and figure out thats where the disconnect may be. A succinct and spot on response/summary.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Bah. Such a small thing, blown up so big. People buy Air Jordans hoping to be like Mike. People cut their hair like Paul (or was it John) in the 60s.

Buying a pair of glasses is not obsession. Jesus christ.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:

Thank you. In my tired state I didn't even catch the reference to physical health and figure out thats where the disconnect may be. A succinct and spot on response/summary.

Obviously I knew it was mental health we were talking about. But can you really, with a straight face, say that buying a pair of glasses like Steve had would make you worry over someone's mental health? In that case, I know someone who is crazy. And it's not the buyers of the GLASSES. Sheesh.

Gee, did you see that 25 year old stammer for words? Maybe he has Alzheimer's disease coming on? Did you notice that sneeze? Could be bird flu! These people are SICK! Better medicate them asap! Do you guys work for Pfizer or what?
  • Reply 51 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Bah. Such a small thing, blown up so big. People buy Air Jordans hoping to be like Mike. People cut their hair like Paul (or was it John) in the 60s.

I think I'll get a bad haircut and not shave for a week so I look more like Steve. I could stand to lose a few pounds too.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    Quote:

In and of itself, no. But depending on the person, it could be indicative of larger problems.

You may be better served by a less black and white, all or nothing view of the world.. it leads you to drastically misinterpret or exaggerate what people are actually saying.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think I'll get a bad haircut and not shave for a week so I look more like Steve. I could stand to lose a few pounds too.

You're sick and should be institutionalized!
  • Reply 54 of 71
    Quote:

In and of itself, no. But depending on the person, it could be indicative of larger problems.

You may be better served by a less black and white, all or nothing view of the world.. it leads you to drastically misinterpret or exaggerate what people are actually saying.

I know what you're saying. You're saying that someone buying a pair of fricking glasses because Steve Jobs wore them could be an ominous sign of mental illness. And you're NUTS for thinking that.

Now if you're saying that if Charles Manson is buying glasses that Steve Jobs wore, Charles Manson might have a mental illness, then I think you need to decide if you're just talking to hear yourself talk.

Oh, and welcome to Appleinsider!
  • Reply 55 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

You're sick and should be institutionalized!

You are certainly not the first person to suggest that. Sorry I forgot the /s tag.
  • Reply 56 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You are certainly not the first person to suggest that. Sorry I forgot the /s tag.

I was joking One of the other guys on this thread may have said that seriously after your dangerous and subversive haircut idea, but not me.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    The company and the marketing agency that claim this display is a "tribute" to Steve Jobs are being deceitful. This is not a tribute. It's advertising, intended to promote sales of the product. The display appears at a commercial trade event - not some memorial location. Clearly, it's designed as an implied celebrity endorsement for the product. The simple act of purchasing a product does not - in itself - confer rights to claim that the buyer has endorsed it. Does this company have any documentation that Steve Jobs - when he was living - or his estate agreed to such an endorsement? Doubtful, especially in light of how the headline is phrased. Without specific permission, there's every reason for this company to be required to cease and desist. Furthermore, money damages may be warranted, not only as punishment for misappropriation of someone else's property, but to deter other companies from taking commercial advantage of Steve Jobs's name or likeness.

Would Lunor have dared to use a photo of Steve Jobs and the tagline on its website - "The Glasses of Steve Jobs" - while he was still alive? That's when to ask the question: "What would Steve have done?"
  • Reply 58 of 71
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Steve Jobs's glasses ... or Harry Potter's?

or john lennon

• Reply 59 of 71
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
  • Reply 60 of 71
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

or john lennon

Round rimless <> round with metal rims.

Personally I wouldn't pay $450 for any pair of frame especially rimless ones like that. If you lightly mishandle mostly glasses they can be bent back into shape. Rimless ones tend to snap off where they are screwed directly into the lenses.