'Lost' 70-minute interview with Steve Jobs coming to select theaters in November.

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, here's a 50 minute one.

Great thanks. Fascinating to watch. The unedited version also tells a lot about the man, the self editing aspect.

I also loved the part where he talks about the concept of email and its benefits in a work environment- such a huge normal part of our lives today. Hard to imagine life without it now.
  • Reply 22 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elliots11 View Post

Just put it online and stop BSing around. I want to see it, but I'm not going to a movie theater to go to see it.

But it's restored from a VHS tape! Don't you know how good that looks on a 30 ft. high screen???
  • Reply 23 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Snowdog65 View Post

Talk about trying to cash in on his death... Lame.

If it was about making money, they'd put it on sale on iTunes. A limited, 19 theater release do not cashing-in-on-death make.
  • Reply 24 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

If it was about making money, they'd put it on sale on iTunes. A limited, 19 theater release do not cashing-in-on-death make.

Even a limited theatrical release does make a video easier to sell to retail buyers, the people that decide what their retailer will stock.
  • Reply 25 of 66
    "Cringely describes the interview as "a moment in time" because it captures Jobs during his so-called 'wilderness years.' NeXT, the company that Jobs founded after being ousted from Apple, as well as Apple itself, were in trouble in 1995."

Hardly wilderness years. Jobs had already cashed in on Pixar in 1993 or 1994 and was a billionaire. He had made the cover of Time or BusinessWeek or both (and not for the first time, I think). He wasn't even in the wilderness of the technology world because Berners-Lee had already used a NexT Machine to "invent" the WWW, and most people who knew anything about technology deeply respected the NexT Machine.

Also, I'd like to see the revenues from the showing of the film go to charity. Then I would actually go see the film.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

But it's restored from a VHS tape! Don't you know how good that looks on a 30 ft. high screen???

Quote:

VHS tape,19 theater release (turns out they are in 19 cities, though I'm sure they have more than 19 theaters), and a two day Wed/Thurs showing. It does sounds like Landmark has already secured the rights and that the seller is doing it for money, but it surely doesn't seem like a cash cow. I'd think selling it on iTunes Store or selling to a network might be a more lucrative option. Maybe it was fast cash.
  • Reply 27 of 66
    Quote:

The best part of these unedited interviews is watching Steve become increasingly annoyed with the interviewers.
  • Reply 28 of 66
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Toranaga View Post

Hardly wilderness years. Jobs had already cashed in on Pixar in 1993 or 1994 and was a billionaire. He had made the cover of Time or BusinessWeek or both (and not for the first time, I think). He wasn't even in the wilderness of the technology world because Berners-Lee had already used a NexT Machine to "invent" the WWW, and most people who knew anything about technology deeply respected the NexT Machine.

Also, I'd like to see the revenues from the showing of the film go to charity. Then I would actually go see the film.

His success with Pixar and the changes NeXT help bring to the world are all true but NeXT was neither financial powerhouse nor household name. For these reasons and the shining example of Apple bookending his career in the PC market I think calling his years after being ousted from Apple to his return as "wilderness" is apt. Another example is to say the Dark Ages weren't really dark because there were many discoveries and advancements in Europe.
  • Reply 29 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

The best you can 'restore' VHS is back to ... umm ... VHS quality. There is no hiden data in a VHS that allows it to become better than it was when first recorded. The footage may be 'enhanced' and as the footage was well lit to start with it probably will look OK. Specially seeing as few people will go only for the cinematic image quality

But a cinema release seems very odd. Probably just a quick and easy way to monetize.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:

Often the art houses have a tiny little auditorium with a screen barely bigger than a wide-screen TV for niche offerings. And this release strikes me as a niche offering, even by their standards...

• Reply 31 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post

his now infamous comeback at Apple

Wrong word.

How could his comeback at Apple be considered "infamous" in any way?

Don't no-one use the dictionary around here?
  • Reply 32 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Often the art houses have a tiny little auditorium with a screen barely bigger than a wide-screen TV for niche offerings. And this release strikes me as a niche offering, even by their standards...

I guess my area is lucky then, the local art house had something like a 50ft screen last time I visited, with seating for maybe 150 people.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Wrong word.

How could his comeback at Apple be considered "infamous" in any way?

Right, ain't no reason not to use "famous." Thanks for going first.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    Apparently has it's own website now.

http://www.stevejobsthelostinterview.com/

I suspect, this is just leading up to a DVD or iTunes download.
  • Reply 35 of 66
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Excellent.

In 95 I had a Mac Plus with a nifty piece of software that came free with my modem. It could answer the phone, let the user identify him or herself and and so hear a personalized message from me. The Mac would then record the caller's message after which it would call me up at a predetermined number and play back the message. If a stranger answered the phone my Mac would just keep repeating, "Can I speak to Paxman" until someone would get me. I would then dial a code to identify myself. I used it once or twice only but it worked well. In spite of the fact that I already had email of sorts and could go on-line, that combination of hardware and software opened my mind to the future.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Just saw Cringley in PBS doc on SJ. He clearly has ax to grind and looks like he has halitosis.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prof. Peabody View Post

[infamous]

wrong word.

How could his comeback at apple be considered "infamous" in any way?

*bump*
  • Reply 38 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ Web View Post

Just saw Cringley in PBS doc on SJ. He clearly has ax to grind and looks like he has halitosis.

agreed, Dr. Cringely (and the show itself) misrepresented things.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Too bad iCloud wasn't around back then.

You gotta back it up!

Except that iCloud doesn't sync video.

Clearly, since the tape has been restored, the "presumed lost" hasn't applied for many years. I am guessing they were intentionally sitting on this waiting for Steve to die so they could make as much bank as possible off it.

-kpluck
  • Reply 40 of 66
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    It will come out in theaters and the profits will not be nearly what they expected. They should have more respect for Steve. He is not a God. He is a man who had allot of talent. He was mortal and died. He is now gone and we need to try and remember him as a man who loved Apple, a man who had extreme talent and was able to get things accomplished. A movie in a theater? Really. Put it on one of the local networks line CBS, NBC or ABC. not be buying it on DVD.