iPhone 4S demand persists as about 85% of Apple stores see daily stock-outs

Comments

• Reply 21 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is doomed. It's just another iPhone 4. We waited fifteen months for the same product.

So you buy a phone because they change the outside appearance and not for the changes inside.
  • Reply 22 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eacumm View Post

So you buy a phone because they changer the outside appearance and not for the changes inside.

Maybe I should become an Android troll?

Apparently I'm good at this.
  • Reply 23 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple is doomed. It's just another iPhone 4. We waited fifteen months for the same product.

Oh yeah, and don't forget battery-gate! Doomed, indeed.

• Reply 24 of 87
    jj.yuanjj.yuan Posts: 213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

At the NYC Fifth Ave store, there is a big problem with the Chinese. There are dozens and dozens of them buying 2 at a time to resell in China. Surely, most of them work for a limited number of agents who are doing the overseas trading. The store does nothing to prevent these "scalpers" from taking most of the supply. It really sucks.

Wonder why they don't buy Droid phones and ship them to China ...
  • Reply 25 of 87
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

As long as Apple is selling every iOS device it can make why all the hand wringing and fretting over what the "competition" is doing?.

I don't think that APPLE is doing any fretting over anyone other than the issues of IP. It's all the blogs and the analysts doing the worrying about the other boys. Apple is just trying to keep the demand happy as quickly and orderly as they can
  • Reply 26 of 87
    Quote:

At the NYC Fifth Ave store, there is a big problem with the Chinese. There are dozens and dozens of them buying 2 at a time to resell in China. Surely, most of them work for a limited number of agents who are doing the overseas trading. The store does nothing to prevent these "scalpers" from taking most of the supply. It really sucks.

There is little they can do. If they turn away folks based on them being Asian they will be sued for being racist. If they say no cash sales, they will get sued for something or at least get hella bad PR like what happened when they tried that tact to stop iPad resellers and that welfare lady with no credit card told her local news station she was turned away.

I suppose they could go back to no full price sales in store and force everyone to use online and track some kind of address, name, credit card deal (no gift cards allowed of course) but that risks a privacy or some other lawsuit.

and so on.
  • Reply 27 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

2) I was told that you couldn't buy the iPhone at sticker price yet aren't all these buyers signing up with a carrier's two year contract at this point or is NYC allowing buyers to get off contract iPhone pricing?

You can buy full price as a gift or whatever but they aren't advertising that it is unlocked at this point. But it has been shown that it is. That's probably what these folks are doing.
  • Reply 28 of 87
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I ordered 9 of them for my team, and have waited for three weeks so far, and I've still not got an ETA. I'm happy to wait, but it does seem they are prioritizing people ordering one or two over bulk orders (these are for everyone in my team).

9 more customers down for Blackberry.

No, I ordered one 2.5 weeks ago with a 3-week ETA. Still "in progress".
  • Reply 29 of 87
    Apple is putting constraints on the supply channel so that it appears that there is high demand.

</s>
  • Reply 30 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

No, I ordered one 2.5 weeks ago with a 3-week ETA. Still "in progress".

For which carrier? and from where? My apple.com order shipped in two days, despite the indication of 1-2 week delays.
  • Reply 31 of 87
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

. . . I don't hate Google or Android. I just think they are basically irrelevant to Apple's success or failure.

Exactly, krupp. Apple, you, I and most users understand this. Sadly, the Droid guys think this is some sort of competition.

Envy only darkens the souls of the discontent.
  • Reply 32 of 87
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justlikeglass View Post

/sarcasm?

"Here’s to the Crazy One” was the give away if you don’t know the members.
  • Reply 33 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justlikeglass View Post

For which carrier? and from where? My apple.com order shipped in two days, despite the indication of 1-2 week delays.

Yokay, so for which carrier, and from where did you order your's?
  • Reply 34 of 87

Quote:

Wow! This seems like a particularly rascist comment - last time I checked, the primary function of retailers in NYC was to sell products to any customer with money. That's how 'sales' are achieved.

• Reply 35 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HKLofu View Post

?the primary function of retailers in NYC?

The primary function of the entire United States of America is to be a place where that sort of nonsense doesn't happen at all.
  • Reply 36 of 87
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Why is that a problem? Do they have less right to buy a phone than you do?

Yes, they do have less of a right if they are scalping them.
  • Reply 37 of 87
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zinfella View Post

Yokay, so for which carrier, and from where did you order your's?

I suppose I could have mentioned that...

I ordered it from Apple.com for ATT. The 64GB black 4S, if further specifics are desired.
  • Reply 38 of 87
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I have a hard time believing these stock shortages. Everywhere I've gone, there's plenty of stock. It's a lot easier to find in stock than the 4 was, that's for sure.
  • Reply 39 of 87
    Quote:

Yes, they do have less of a right if they are scalping them.

I think I'll go buy an iPhone 4S right now and sell it for exactly the same price as I bought it JUST to make you mad.

I own something, I can do whatever I want with it.
  • Reply 40 of 87
    rgh71rgh71 Posts: 125member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) Curious how Apple Store employees could handle this? Turn them away because they are Chinese? Have two lines, one for Asians, one for non-Asians? If they are limiting them to two units so to me that sounds like they are doing what they legally can, unlike in China where they didn't have limits initially.

2) I was told that you couldn't buy the iPhone at sticker price yet aren't all these buyers signing up with a carrier's two year contract at this point or is NYC allowing buyers to get off contract iPhone pricing?

(1) Perhaps they could limit the purchases to only a few per month. All you need is a little imagination to solve the problem. If the same person is buying two every day, that's not cool at all.

(2) Very good point. I was under the impression they were hardware purchases.