iPhone 4S preorders sell out in Hong Kong after 10 minutes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Now the trolls are berating Apple for being popular. They can't win in their eyes, but I guess if they were being objective they wouldn't be labeled as trolls, a title they seem to enjoy.

Not for being popular, but instead, for so grossly mis-estimating demand, or otherwise being so inadequately stocked that the vast majority of potential customers will experience frustration.

I think that having supplies adequate to meet demand is generally a Good Thing when rolling out a product, and having almost enough is almost as good. I think that having only 10 minutes' worth of stock is far from optimum.

We can disagree if you'd like, but I don't think I'm out too far on a limb here.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post

Even 80 billion dollar doesn't help if you just don't have the resources. Resources are finite you know.

J.

Too rapid expansion has been the death of many lesser companies. I don't think that Apple is guilty of that, given that so far, their rapid expansion has been handled very well. But it is something to watch carefully.

Does anybody know anything about this subject? Is it excessive debt which usually overwhelms companies when they expand too rapidly? Inability to scale their practices? Something else?

Apple has no debt. And the CEO was outstanding, with all of his plans and structures still firmly in place. In that regard, my guess is that they are very unlike most businesses that suffer from too-fast expansion.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

Not for being popular, but instead, for so grossly mis-estimating demand, or otherwise being so inadequately stocked that the vast majority of potential customers will experience frustration.

I think that having supplies adequate to meet demand is generally a Good Thing when rolling out a product, and having almost enough is almost as good. I think that having only 10 minutes' worth of stock is far from optimum.

We can disagree if you'd like, but I don't think I'm out too far on a limb here.

1) How many dozens of millions should they then stockpile because you don't think it's fair that Apple's demand outstrips their reasonable ability to supply. Note: there supply chain has been better while rolling out to more counties this year over last.

2) This was pre-orders, if they sold 120k units last year for pre-orders why do you think 200k pre-orders is somehow phenomenally low? Haven't you been saying the iPhone 4S isn't really an upgrade and that Android has had Siri-like services for like forever?
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) How many dozens of millions should they then stockpile because you don't think it's fair that Apple's demand outstrips their reasonable ability to supply. Note: there supply chain has been better while rolling out to more counties this year over last.

IMO, Apple should have a supply somewhere around the demand. Easier said than done.

You might disagree, or think its impossible, or whatever.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

IMO, Apple should have a supply somewhere around the demand. Easier said than done.

You might disagree, or think its impossible, or whatever.

I do disagree, and think it's not impossible through foolishly impractical, and I have no comment on whatever.

if they made 40M units before they sold a single one so they saturate all markets at the same time they would still have an issue of housing 40M units for months on end and shipping them all to stores at the same time for a massively stupid instant sell off. This universe is finite yet you pretend Apple, yet only Apple, can wave a wand and do what no other company can. Fuck! They already shown to best every other CE company on earth yet you still their success isn't good enough.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

Dont forget that the online Apple.com sold out items are actually the unlocked phones only. I assume that Apple would want people to sign up through the carriers, which opened for preorders 2 days later.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by moustache View Post

Dont forget that the online Apple.com sold out items are actually the unlocked phones only. I assume that Apple would want people to sign up through the carriers, which opened for preorders 2 days later.

All the carrier phones in HK are 100% unlocked.

My carrier first opened preorders today. I'm ordering a black 64Gig tomorrow, and I've been told delivery will be Sunday.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:

I'm not convinced that misallocation of resources, on this sort of scale, is typical of Apple.

Why did they offer a grossly inadequate supply in a new market? Was it merely poor planning? Or is there something else that explains it?

This is what explains it: Apple has once again failed miserably! Somehow!

Think about it: many people have suggested that it was only a matter of time before Apple sold out.

Well, it's official: APPLE HAS FINALLY SOLD OUT!

How do I know this? The headline, of course.

Just like Pete Townshend sold out. I think. And Apple may even suggest we buy our phone every time we use it.

Anyway, this is clearly bad news for Apple. In some mysterious way that will later make sense, especially to people whose work involves exposure to volatile chemicals, this is the worst thing that could have possibly happened to Apple. Ever, ever, ever.