Apple notifies faulty MagSafe owners of class-action settlement

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by springerj View Post

The reason this is such a big deal (I've replaced 2 adaptors over the years) is that the cable is hard wired to the power supply, so a simple frayed cable results in replacing a $65 or more power supply. If Apple would just put a MagSafe at BOTH ends of the cable, then you could quickly and inexpensively just replace the cable. Plus it would be even safer, and you could get longer cables if you wanted. I think it is a lousy design; the new side-connectors are only a bit better. A rare Apple design fail.

I like that idea.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    poor strain reliefs on cables seem to be one of apple's consistent design failings

it's as if apple is devoted to some internal doctrine for stiff, short, reliefs, with the outer sleeve of the cable often ending only a few mm into the relief and not bonded to it

it was like that on the tibook supply, on the al g4 replacement, and then the subsequent magsafe supplies, even the latest magsafe supply still is poorly designed at the 'brick end'

that's over a decade of poor design, bizarre for a company that otherwise does such a good job, even dell does it better

short, stiff, reliefs can result in sharp bends to the cable, and the unbonded and limited sleeve insertion can result in it backing out over time, it also allows twisting of the internal wires

flexy, long reliefs are just better, sleeve insertion should be the full length of the relief, and the sleeve should be bonded to the relief (or within the supply), basic stuff

apple could learn from textronix, for instance the strain reliefs on their probes are superb
  • Reply 23 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post

For these guys to break some twisting/pulling is necessary (unless some kind of melting or heat damage took place?I never encountered that), but it's pretty easy for that to happen when you're working with a laptop. I had the MacSafe adapter go out on my laptop as well after some years, and I'm perfectly happy to admit that it is because I moved around a lot and the cord was tugged in varied directions. Apple replaced it cheerfully. Funny thing, is, that the MacSafe adapter, despite this quality issue, is still far more durable than any of the plug-in hard drive pins used in cheaper laptops. Those things die way too easily.

The connector too small and smooth to offer enough purchase for fingertips to reliably break the magnetic attachment. Thus the cable can be inadvertently strained even by someone who is being reasonably careful.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmmx View Post

I bought the first Intel MBP in 2006 (actually received it a few days before the stores). After a couple of years the connection frayed beyond what a bit of electrical tape would repair. The local Apple Store replaced it for free, even though it was more than 2 years out.

This is almost exactly the same thing that happened to me. In and out of the Apple Store in less than 15 minutes.