Apple confirms no current plans to bring Siri to older devices

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Only the Nexus phones get regular updates and are current.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Compared to some. There are a fair number of models that can and do receive updates (without the users needing to patch together a new OS themselves, I mean).

• Reply 22 of 57
    Well I have a 4S so I may not have a truly objective opinion on this, but I don't see why people are so obsessed with Siri on older devices. It's as of this time a feature of a new phone. It's not critical to the function of the phone. It does not fix the antenna issue that the 4 initially had. It does not make 3G faster. It does not make any faults found in iOS 5 any better. It's a nice, very usefull, fun feature.

I don't see people demanding the A5 chipset or the new camera. To me it's the same. If you want Siri so badly then upgrade and pay the fee to do so. Please don't call it unfair or Apple doing imeserable wrong to its customers. It's just a feature of a more current phone. When people upgrade to the iPhone5 there will be things that people with the 4S will want but have to wait for too.
  • Reply 23 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rtapps View Post

Well I have a 4S so I may not have a truly objective opinion on this, but I don't see why people are so obsessed with Siri on older devices. It's as of this time a feature of a new phone. It's not critical to the function of the phone. It does not fix the antenna issue that the 4 initially had. It does not make 3G faster. It does not make any faults found in iOS 5 any better. It's a nice, very usefull, fun feature.

I don't see people demanding the A5 chipset or the new camera. To me it's the same. If you want Siri so badly then upgrade and pay the fee to do so. Please don't call it unfair or Apple doing imeserable wrong to its customers. It's just a feature of a more current phone. When people upgrade to the iPhone5 there will be things that people with the 4S will want but have to wait for too.

It's because it doesn't require any obvious, new HW for this SW service to run locally that it's expected. For this reason these people feel victimized by Apple over this positional good.
  • Reply 24 of 57
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPedro View Post

Even though I don't have one, the iPad 2 should get Siri and is more than perfectly capable of running it. I think this is a pretty pig headed move by Apple. I understand keeping it as an iPhone4S exclusive in the phone category to differentiate it from the others, but bringing it to iPad doesn't hurt iPhone sales, in fact it will only help sell more iPad 2's.

Let us not forget Siri is ßeta software. It would be difficult if not crazy for Apple to even attempt having Siri running on other devices until Siri is close to being a regular released product on the 4s.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, here's something to consider: when I bought my older, pre-Siri iOS devices Apple didn't say one day I would be able to have this wonderous thing called Siri on my phone. While I might expect support for future OS upgrades, I didn't expect to receive any specific future features. IOW, Apple made no promises regarding any specific future features, and my buying decision at the time was based on the features that were available at that time. No promises made, no promises broken. Apple delivered what it promised when I bought that device. Being retroactively disappointed in your past purchases because Apple decided not to give you some new feature later on seems like crying over spilled milk.

What a bunch of apologist drivel. Spare me.

Apple set the bar that high, not me. Apple set my expectations high as an iOS user. I didn't come into the iOS world thinking I deserve major, new features with each OS update. That was a level of expectation Apple created. Apple brought new features to old hardware as part of their way of doing things, a way that differentiated the iPhone from all the cheap, poorly supported Android hardware out there.

But suddenly they switch gears when it comes to Siri? And for what appears to be no technically sound reason at all? I have an iPad 2 that is less than a year old and, by most accounts, has every bit as much computing power as the iPhone 4S and Apple won't deign to sully their precious Siri with it? Screw that.

I wonder how many Apple fans being good little bobble-heads about this decision have mocked Android users for not getting updates or new features on their phone? As of today, assuming this news is true, those users have less reason to look down their noses at other, lesser platforms.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The processor is capable of running it. There are other issues though. For instance, microphone quality. The microphone in the iPad 2 is not the same one as in the one iPhone. The iPad and iPad 2 use the same microphone, which is a significantly lower quality microphone then the one in iPhone. If the quality in microphones negatively effect experience, Apple isn't going to allow it.

Further, Apple probably has sold around 20 million iPhone 4S phones. Users have admitted network problems. Apple's Siri servers took a hit for several hours. Image if Apple also allowed 100 million iPhone 4 phones, as well as the millions of iPads. Apple's servers probably couldn't take the hit. The press would be bad.

I suspect Apple will not allow previous phones or iPads. Apple will support the service on new devices, like the rumored iPad 3. That likely will come with a better microphone, and Apple can slowly work out kinks with the servers and ramp up capacity as needed.

The microphone on the iPad 2 and the server overload are things Apple should have seen coming. If they knew Siri was coming and required a better quality microphone, then the question becomes why didn't they put such a thing in the iPad2? Likewise with the server load issues. These were foreseeable. Neither is an adequate excuse.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by inkswamp View Post

What a bunch of apologist drivel. Spare me.

Apple set the bar that high, not me. Apple set my expectations high as an iOS user. I didn't come into the iOS world thinking I deserve major, new features with each OS update. That was a level of expectation Apple created. Apple brought new features to old hardware as part of their way of doing things, a way that differentiated the iPhone from all the cheap, poorly supported Android hardware out there.

But suddenly they switch gears when it comes to Siri? And for what appears to be no technically sound reason at all? I have an iPad 2 that is less than a year old and, by most accounts, has every bit as much computing power as the iPhone 4S and Apple won't deign to sully their precious Siri with it? Screw that.

I wonder how many Apple fans being good little bobble-heads about this decision have mocked Android users for not getting updates or new features on their phone? As of today, assuming this news is true, those users have less reason to look down their noses at other, lesser platforms.

1) They've done this before with features that didn't have a known technical reason.

2) There is a very sound technical reason for not putting Siri on 150 million iDevices.

3) Apple didn't set your expectations too high, you set your expectations too high.

4) I'd think this being beta that has already showing signs of stress with just 4S users would be a sign that Siri would be a complete failure if they pushed it to every device that can run iOS 5.0.

5) It sounds like you're suggesting Apple doesn't give any new major iOS updates to the iDevices. Does that really fix anything? I don't think so.

Quote:

The microphone on the iPad 2 and the server overload are things Apple should have seen coming. If they knew Siri was coming and required a better quality microphone, then the question becomes why didn't they put such a thing in the iPad2? Likewise with the server load issues. These were foreseeable. Neither is an adequate excuse.

What an astute comment¡ Apple should have waited 2 years before releasing Siri so they could give it to a quarter billion iOS 7.0 devices at once. Sure, it'll be much less impressive of a feature then as it will be in 2 years after they beta test it and refine it's databases and algorithms, buy hey, it'll be on all iOS 7.0 devices at once. Fucking brilliant¡
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) They've done this before with features that didn't have a known technical reason.

Not for 8-month-old hardware, they haven't.

Quote:

2) There is a very sound technical reason for not putting Siri on 150 million iDevices.

One that could have been avoided with adequate planning.

Quote:

3) Apple didn't set your expectations too high, you set your expectations too high.

Until you can show me examples of features that were not brought to hardware less than a year old, I disagree completely. Apple knew Siri was in the works when they brought the iPad 2 to market. It should have been Siri-ready. It's a cop-out.

Quote:

4) I'd think this being beta that has already showing signs of stress with just 4S users would be a sign that Siri would be a complete failure if they pushed it to every device that can run iOS 5.0.

I accept that while Siri is in beta, but afterward, it's a lame excuse.

Quote:

5) It sounds like you're suggesting Apple doesn't give any new major iOS updates to the iDevices. Does that really fix anything? I don't think so.

I'm not following you but I do think it's unprecedented for Apple to drop features from iOS updates for hardware that's a mere 8-months-old. That's ridiculous and no excuses will cut it for me. Apple botched this big time (assuming this source and info is credible.)

Quote:

What an astute comment¡ Apple should have waited 2 years before releasing Siri so they could give it to a quarter billion iOS 7.0 devices at once. Sure, it'll be much less impressive of a feature then as it will be in 2 years after they beta test it and refine it's databases and algorithms, buy hey, it'll be on all iOS 7.0 devices at once. Fucking brilliant¡

I'm not talking about 2-year-old hardware. Don't you understand that? An 8-month-old iPad2 not supported for a feature Apple knew was coming with the next update. You find that defensible?
  • Reply 28 of 57
    edit: Not worth it.
  • Reply 29 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Once storage is cheap enough to store the files for parsing TTS/STT on the device and once chips get fast enough to do the computations on the user-end, I imagine Siri will become even more indispensable than it already is for some people.

Maybe the A6? Is that thinking too wishful?

Totally off-topic, but did you just become a global moderator? I don't recall seeing that under your name before. Or maybe I just noticed it now.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    Quote:

I take it you find the microphone as an acceptable excuse for Siri not coming on the iPad 2, but your grouse is that Apple knew they were working on Siri and that they should have built in a better microphone into the iPad 2.

So whether it was avoidable or not, the fact/ theory remains that the iPad 2 microphone is not good at handling Siri. In which case doesn't it make sense that Apple will not release Siri on the iPad 2? It's like expecting Facetime on the original iPad.

In the iOS 5 unveiling and all subsequent publicity (and information) from Apple regarding iOS 5, they never mentioned Siri. iCloud, Reminders, better Notifications, etc., were being touted. It was only when the iPhone 4S was introduced that they spoke about Siri.

So, Apple didn't ever say Siri was a part of iOS 5. If you read all the news that Voice support was developed by Apple (as reported by certain developers), rumors that it was a part of iOS 5 and expected Siri to be the "one more thing" of iOS 5, you fueled your own expectations and it's not Apple's fault that you are disappointed.
  • Reply 31 of 57
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Not for 8-month-old hardware, they haven't.

One that could have been avoided with adequate planning.

Until you can show me examples of features that were not brought to hardware less than a year old, I disagree completely. Apple knew Siri was in the works when they brought the iPad 2 to market. It should have been Siri-ready. It's a cop-out.

I accept that while Siri is in beta, but afterward, it's a lame excuse.

I'm not following you but I do think it's unprecedented for Apple to drop features from iOS updates for hardware that's a mere 8-months-old. That's ridiculous and no excuses will cut it for me. Apple botched this big time (assuming this source and info is credible.)

I'm not talking about 2-year-old hardware. Don't you understand that? An 8-month-old iPad2 not supported for a feature Apple knew was coming with the next update. You find that defensible?

Stop whining at least until Siri is not a Beta product anymore, then you 'might' have a valid argument.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i still say that Apple will release Siri in the app store by 2nd quarter 2012 for somewhere around $29 for all iDevices except the new 4s.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Realistic View Post

Stop whining at least until Siri is not a Beta product anymore, then you 'might' have a valid argument.

I find it odd that someone can't have a dissenting view around here without being accused of being whiny. Nothing in my post is whiny. You might note that I even acknowledged that my point of view is only valid if the source and info is credible. I'm just stating my case that this is unprecedented for Apple and that they have built expectations about these things with their past record of excellent support for their hardware and that it's inexcusable for a premium product like theirs. I'd expect support for new features to fall off the radar in the first year for cheap Android phones, not iOS devices.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i still say that Apple will release Siri in the app store by 2nd quarter 2012 for somewhere around $29 for all iDevices except the new 4s.

That actually makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

I think this is the point everyone is missing. Siri is beta. I remind myself this eveytime Siri says it can't connect to the network. Siri is an very awesome mind blowing feature that should get better over time. When Apple can get the infrastructure built out on the back end it will only get better.
  • Reply 35 of 57
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

We will see very soon.....but Siri would have to be out of beta by then. Apple would not charge $29 for software that was in beta. I am not sure the infrastructure to support the load from a public release is in place yet to support the millions of downloads a public release would bring.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

You know, here's something to consider: when I bought my older, pre-Siri iOS devices Apple didn't say one day I would be able to have this wonderous thing called Siri on my phone. While I might expect support for future OS upgrades, I didn't expect to receive any specific future features. IOW, Apple made no promises regarding any specific future features, and my buying decision at the time was based on the features that were available at that time. No promises made, no promises broken. Apple delivered what it promised when I bought that device. Being retroactively disappointed in your past purchases because Apple decided not to give you some new feature later on seems like crying over spilled milk.

Really that's your logic? Wow serious fanboy head spinning at work there... it's called customer support... if you don't get it, well then you're pretty lost
  • Reply 37 of 57
    Smart...it means Apple can concentrate all its resources on future products!
  • Reply 38 of 57
    Apple knows that lots of Applebots will buy a new phone to have the latest and greatest, even if it is only an incremental change. There is no commercial reason not to limit access to new features to new hardware.
  • Reply 39 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Perhaps the iPad2 isn't considered an 'older device'.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

You haven't used Siri.

I assume you are saying that just to elicit a response?

Ok- you win.

Yes, I've used Siri. It is really nice for scheduling and moving appointments, better than I normally would do on my phone. But outside of that... It's not that great. I can text much faster- or compose an email faster. If you can't, that's on you. I can also google something much faster as well. And the vast majority of questions you ask takes you to an Internet search anyways... That's a wasted step. Oh yeah- and that's all when it works and I dont have to reset my network settings because it "cannot connect to network".

So yeah- I've used Siri. And right now it is overwhelmingly overrated. But I think it has great potential and I can't wait until the final version and to see what else comes with it in the future. The voice recognition is excellent- and even when there is a ton of background noise.

I think launchpad is pretty pointless too- I guess I've never used that either.