Apple ranks fourth on Greenpeace's 'Guide to Greener Electronics'

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    If Apple products last longer then some credit should be given for that. How would one really know that figure?

My first computer was a Gateway that lasted six years. If I wanted to spend $150 on it I could get it working again. The only problem was that the fans quit and they were custom sized built within the power supply tunnel, thus the whole thing needs to be replaced. The thing is I really don't want a 1.8 GHz Intel Celeron 256K RAM computer with a 40 GB hard drive that uses 250 watts of power. I could buy a used netbook for about that much money.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Why would anyone care about a Greenpeace Guide? This outlaw terrorist organization has no following of any statue and anyone who does is nothing more than a terrorist and should be shot on sight.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    I kind of like how the French blew up the Rainbow Warrior here in New Zealand.

I find it all hypocritical that Greenpeace would wail the destruction of their boat while they continue to try to ram other people's boats.

Greenpeace are anything but peaceful therefore they need to change their name... CLUELESS seems to fit.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

If this is an attempt at a clever condemnation of its aesthetic, then this is a terrible post. If its not, can you explain to me what visual pollution is?

OK, I thought it was a well known term, it has been talked about for many years. It is when people find something unpleasant to look at, solar energy, and windmills while "green", are an unpleasant sight to some people.

There are many articles on it, here are two results from a search on the term

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_pollution

http://www.dunnfoundation.org/vp/index.html
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's not light pollution/photopollution/luminous pollution that produces excessive or obtrusive artificial light. It's pollution of visually seeing things that are unpleasant and crappy. just look at any post made by jfanning for an example of such crap.

Once again you go straight in with stupid abuse for no reason. What is your issue?
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Oh, great. Here come the trolls again. Apple puts in solar energy to reduce the impact of their data center on the environment and get accused of "visual pollution".

Troll? Oh, yes, I'm on Appleinsider, where if you disagree with anyone they either start abusing you, or calling you a troll.

No one accused anyone of anything, I simply stated a fact, I know you guys don't like facts on this site, but get over it, it is still a fact even though you don't like it.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

OK, I thought it was a well known term, it has been talked about for many years. It is when people find something unpleasant to look at, solar energy, and windmills while "green", are an unpleasant sight to some people.

So, would you - I mean these people - categorize unattractive people as being an example of "visual pollution"?
  • Reply 28 of 28
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Greenpreach has no credibility. In the real world, Apple is leaps and bounds ahead of all other technology companies when it comes to environmental responsibility. Even if they weren't, who is Greenpeace to decide what is or isn't environmentally important? They still think ethanol is "green" when in reality it's the worst of all.

They ranked Apple behind Dell and HP on their scorecard, but I'll tell you what, in practice it's exactly opposite. I receive computer equipment every week. The packaging for Apple is minimalist and recycle friendly - the packaging for the others is massively bulky, wasteful, full of styrofoam, plastics and other crap. The equipment from Apple is made with highly recyclable aluminum, glass, and other materials. The products from the other guys are stamped sheet metal and plastic.

Apple has a link at the bottom of their home page of their web site to "Environment" where they thoroughly and elegantly report their efforts and provide info on how you can recycle any Apple product. They'll also recycle other companies' crap for you. The other guys? HP - nada. Dell - they have a link; it takes you to a page that's certainly not inviting, but it's there.

These are just a few examples. I could go on - there are many more areas where Apple is far more environmentally conscious than any other company. So, Greenpreach - go stick it.