Siri raise-to-speak feature uses modified iPhone 4S proximity sensor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davejay View Post

My god that girl is hot.

Her name is Melissa 'MJ', lives in Shell Beach, CA, is married, and has a kid.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davejay View Post

My god that girl is hot.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think she is too thin and should take an extra serving at dinner tonight.

Why oh why would you feel compelled to weigh in on someone's appearances?
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

Why oh why would you feel compelled to weigh in on someone's appearances?

The Internet is a very, very lonely place.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

While reading this column I raised my iPhone 4S to my face and spoke and Siri did not activate. And, yes, Raise To Speak was turned on in Settings. This feature has never worked for me.

It seems to be a combination of the proximity sensor AND the accelerometer. If I hold the phone with the display on and cover the sensor with my hand, I don't get anything. However, if I perform the "raise" gesture and cover it with my hand, it works.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Her name is Melissa 'MJ', lives in Shell Beach, CA, is married, and has a kid.

Don't bother looking though as no one knows the way to Shell Beach...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_City_(1998_film)
  • Reply 26 of 36
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

?Ionizing radiation? is completely different?that?s the scary kind, which people usually mean when they talk about ?radiation.? And it?s unrelated to electromagnetic waves. It?s made up of particles in fact, which can break apart atoms.

Don't forget that extreme ultraviolet (EUV) is ionising and of course is also a form of electromagnetic radiation. This is why our EUV filtering ozone layer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_layer) is so important.

Infrared (IR), the wavelength being talked about in this article, is completely harmless in the iPhone, as you said.

All the best.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Then check out this list. Apple is not in the top twenty most radiation producing phones. It, however, isn't in the top twenty lowest radiation producing phones either.

It is worth noting over a fifteen year period cell phone radiation output has been cut in half. That is worth noting because there is conflicting information about health effects of cell phone radiation. Many brain surgeons my spouse works with think cell phones do increase your chances of obtaining brain cancer based on the increase of people suffering through brain cancer that forms behind the ear where the cell phone rests. However, many of these people might have been exposed to radiation output for a significant period of time when cell phones as a whole were kicking out double the radiation of todays phones. It also worth noting the radiation output of phones, while significantly decreasing over the past few years, is trending upwards with the use of high speed networks. Apple's first iPhone output the least amount of radiation.

Kids also are at more risk of developing problems as their skulls are much thinner then an adult's skull. If you want to play it safe, use this.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eharel View Post

For me, the less radiation, the better. How can I turn this IR sensor off when I don't need it?

• Reply 28 of 36
    Siri doesn't seem to be able to give the date, but can set reminders and book appts. How odd is that?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joshwa View Post

It seems to be a combination of the proximity sensor AND the accelerometer. If I hold the phone with the display on and cover the sensor with my hand, I don't get anything. However, if I perform the "raise" gesture and cover it with my hand, it works.

To have raise to speak work better, holding the phone facing up in front of you can then being it to ears as if taking a call. Work whenever screen is on not necessarily in conversation. However won't work in lock screen
  • Reply 30 of 36
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eharel View Post

For me, the less radiation, the better. How can I turn this IR sensor off when I don't need it?

Infrared is non-ionising. Zero health impacts. You are receiving more ?radiation? from the visible light being reflected off a postage stamp.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

Don't bother looking though as no one knows the way to Shell Beach...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_City_(1998_film)

One of the great under-appreciated movies.
  • Reply 32 of 36
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I finally got it to work. Hold the iPhone 4S so the screen is facing up (the phone is horizontal) before you raise it up to your ear. That allows Siri to activate.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    1) General->Siri->ON, Raise to Speak->ON

2) Turn phone screen on (you *can* be in lock-screen for raise-to-speak to work)

3) Hold phone in front of you at eye or chest level or down at your waist level, with screen facing you (as if you were reading from it)

4) raise phone to your ear as if taking a call (don't do it too slowly like a turtle!)

5) wait for a moment and you will hear Siri beep/chime, now Siri is active!

6) speak your command to Siri and enjoy!
  • Reply 34 of 36
    Siri demonstrating the proper raise-to-speak technique.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

image: http://media33.onsugar.com/files/201...ul_woman_B.jpg

You got something to rise but I'm afraid it's also rendered me speechless.
  • Reply 36 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Oh, my...