Steve Jobs could be first posthumously-named Person of the Year

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I wonder how they decide to do this for Jobs but not Michael Jackson. Both are cultural icons but MJ's influence was broader. I guess his shady history with children and the fact that his last decade was a musical bust did not help. In contrast, Jobs went out on a high.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

MJ's musical influence was powerful. There are songwriters, singers, dancers that continue to emulate him. His influence on what they do is quite apparent if you get music. Those who study history of music and dance often study MJ. Even at swing dance competitions, which I attend, tributes to him far outnumber those for other artists, combined. Given that there are more people listening to music that those using iPods and iPhones and iMacs, it is fair to suggest that MJ"s influence was broader. Furthermore, Thriller has outsold all other albums by more than two fold. It's 20 years old and still remains on top. Which one of Apple's products has stood the same test of time as that?

MJ did all this virtually by himself. SJ surrounded himself with great engineers, and could not have made any of his products by himself.

Let's not forget, the world wide masses that mourned MJ's passing easily outnumbered those paying respects to Steve Jobs. And he died well after the height of popularity.

I understand it's standard here to mock an opinion contradictory to your own. If that elevates your intellectual self-esteem, that's fine. But there are ways to disagree without disrespecting someone, particularly when you may well be wrong. You may gain a short moment of self-gratification by putting down someone, but you gain a lot more respect by showing an open mind. Shame on you.

Sorry, but you're out of your flipping mind.

Michael Jackson was an influential musician - no doubt. But the entire music industry does not revolve around him. There are plenty of people who have never listened to ANY of his music, nor any songs that sound like his. Furthermore, outside of the U.S., he's essentially non-existent.

Jobs, OTOH, has greatly influenced:

- the entire personal computer market

- The entire portable music player market

- The entire smartphone market

In fact, it would be fair to say that all three markets have evolved into emulating (or copying of you wish to use a harder word) what Apple/Jobs have done. You can't use a computer, smartphone, or portable music player without benefiting from Jobs' influence. And that's essentially anywhere in the world.
  • Reply 62 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Actually, you're quite wrong. First, many major wars before 1861 were CLEARLY about religion.

Second, there was a religious element to many of the wars you cited. For example, the last 4 clearly had a religious element. Muslim fundamentalists started actions that eventually led to war. Even WWII had a religious element. Many people would not have wanted the U.S. to get involved other than the extermination of Jews. Finally, of course, it's interesting that you chose to leave out all the wars that WERE clearly about religion even during the time period you cited:

- 1948 Arab Israeli war

- 1967 Six Day war

- And plenty more (see, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wars_of_Israel)

Oh, and btw, maybe no one ever told you, but the Cold War wasn't a war. I don't recall any troops that were called into action.

As you can see from all your examples, brainwashing doesn't only affect Germans and Japanese, it also affects Americans.
  • Reply 63 of 66
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 64 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Steve shall be named 'Person of the 21st Century'. Sorry everyone: voting is now closed. Come back in 89 years.

Yeah, cause nothing better could possible happen...

Only a fanboi tool could be that delusional
  • Reply 65 of 66
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Let's pull a "Myth Busters" on this one:

Civil War: Not religion

World War I: Not religion

World War II: Not religion

The Cold War: Not religion

Korean War: Not religion

Vietnam War: Not religion

Iraq Iran War: Oil, not religion

Kuwait Iraq War: Oil, not religion

Iraq War: Oil, not WMD, not religion

Afghanistan War: Natural Resources, not Bin Laden, not religion

I know I missed a few more in there like Grenada and Panama.

This myth is BUSTED.

Ok let's see...

Crusades, religion

30 Years War, religion

The whole IRA movement in Ireland, religion. Guerrilla warfare for sure

The Spanish Inquisition, religion (yes not a war, but it was a war on anyone they felt was not a christian) [PS, nobody expects it]

Here's a couple of other links about religious war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_wars_of_religion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Wars_of_Religion

Did you even graduate high school? This is basic shit here.

Also, I didn't say "all wars are fought over religion" I said "all the wars fought over religion" meaning that many of them have been.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Michael Jackson was an influential musician - no doubt. Furthermore, outside of the U.S., he's essentially non-existent.

Are you kidding me?! Outside the US is where MJ could announce a series of shows and have it sold out in minutes, 15 years after the Dangerous album. Michael Jackson's fan base is still ridiculously large outside of the US. In the US it took a nosedive from all the court trouble, but it never really slacked off worldwide.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    he is the real hero... very big loss to the tech world...