Hong Kong iPhone 4S launch sells out after thousands line up

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ConradJoe View Post

I do not believe for a second that they are incompetent. I'm pretty sure I've said that many times. Neither do I believe that they are evil, whatever that is supposed to mean.

Most people would agree that artificially constraining supply for PR or price-manipulation purposes is evil.

They would also agree that falsely accusing a person or a company of doing evil is itself evil.

Where do you come down in this dilemma you've made for yourself?
  • Reply 22 of 28
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How about… You take the number of pre-produced units you have made, compare that with the number of units you can make in a day, then figure out how many people buy iPhones per day per country using past statistics and future projections to determine how many you'll need for a solid roll out that will benefit the most number of people at any one time.

Yes. But why has recent experience not evidenced that strategy?

The Hong Kong rollout seems like none of those strategies were used. Or, if the strategies were used successfully, a plan was in place to say "No" to everybody after the first ten minutes worth of phone callers, and the first couple of hours of people in line.

You may think that this phenomenon happened due to gross misestimations of supply and demand; I have my doubts.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:

Psst: suggestion for you. Show where there is a surplus!
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:

Opening extra plants to produce enough stock for roll out and then closing the plants for a year is not sound business strategy.

Remember the word, "finite".
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

So far I haven't put Comrade on ignore... I keep him around for the humour factor.

I commented sarcastically the other day about Apple choking off supply to create demand... it's funny to see that line being used seriously.

Aha, you've been reverse-plonked. And the Internet knows nothing about "finite," so a single reverse plonk can go a long way.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

PS: That's the first time I've ever seen the word queuers. I don't see anything wrong with the intransitive verb and included in SOWPODS for both Scrabbler and Words with Friends, so I like it.

Thanks for that sol, another word learned.

Cmd-Ctrl-D:

SOWPODS

SOWPODS is the word list used in tournament Scrabble in most countries except the USA, Thailand and Canada. The term SOWPODS is derived from the anagram of the two acronyms OSPD and OSW, these being the original two official dictionaries used in various parts of the world at the time. Although the two source dictionaries have now changed their respective titles the term SOWPODS is still used by tournament players to refer to the combination of the two sources. There has not been any actual hard-copy list produced called SOWPODS, although the current Collins Scrabble Words, or CSW, is in effect the full SOWPODS list by a different name.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    Let's get something straight about this story:

Hong Kong did not sell out of the iPhone 4S on November 11th. Hong Kong sold out of all the iPhone 4ses available for November 11th on November 11th. There were more available on Nov 12th, Nov 13th, and every day, based on a limited number both through the Apple Online Store through in-store reservation for pickup, and through online purchase. There are plenty of iPhone 4ses available every day through carriers. I think anyone in Hong Kong who wants an iPhone 4s for their own use can get one within 2 days.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Let's get something straight about this story:

Thank you, always good to have a little reality added to the discussion!