Web stats indicate Mac OS X Lion still growing very fast

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    ikolikol Posts: 369member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Yeah, Steve just ran Apple into the ground.

You're so funny.

Read the book- it's not very funny.
  • Reply 42 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iKol View Post

Read the book- it's not very funny.

I read the book. Not sure what it has to do with this thread, except for your constant trolling around here...

I find that you get a lot more out if a five year old Mac, than a five year old PC. I own both.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by taugust04 View Post

I read the book. Not sure what it has to do with this thread, except for your constant trolling around here...

just add the trolls to your ignore list and don't respond to them before you add them. That way I don't have to see their idiotic statements as I read through the threads.

BTW, my ignore list has grown to about 40 idiots in the last year or two. Before the dorkdroids came here to squawk about what goes on (or lack thereof) in their tiny birdbrains my list had never included more than five of the biggest apple haters here.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    sipsip Posts: 210member
    When I bought my 8-core Mac Pro 2008, it came pre-installed with Leopard. I downgraded the OS to Tiger** -- the biggest problem I encountered was the lack of graphics drivers -- moving Finder windows was sluggish and left trails across the screen, but everything else ran fine.

Why am I writing about Tiger and Leopard? Well, when Snow Leopard came along, I jumped on the upgrade and actually queued up for it, I was that keen on moving on. Not so with Lion -- I ran pre-release developer versions and wasn't impressed and vowed to end my days stuck on Snow Leopard.

Guess what? Ten days after Lion was unleashed and released into the Mac jungle, I stumbled into the Mac App Store and hit the Install/Buy button, cloned my Snow Leo HD to a brand new drive, updated to Lion and have not looked back (I still have the original HD with Snow Leo and all my apps on it, but haven't needed to access it. In fact, I have decided to wipe it clean and use it to back up my Lion HD to it).

All the applications I need work just fine in Lion -- I don't really notice all the UI changes anymore. I use a Magic Mouse & Magic Trackpad along with a 5-button Microsoft Intellimouse and was able to reverse the scrolling to my liking. The one bugbear is that Lion is slower at startup than Snow Leo, and it takes longer to launch Safari & Mail as startup items compared to Snow Leo.

In other news: three of the other four Intel-based Macs (iMacs & Macbooks) are all moving to Lion.

** quite simple actually: I simply put the Mac Pro in Target Mode, connected to an older Macbook and installed the OS on one of the Mac Pro's drives, then started up the Mac Pro & applied a Combo update. BTW, I needed Tiger at the time to jailbreak my iPhone.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    ggfggf Posts: 42member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

An unscientific poll... Just out of curiosity and for those that haven't bought a new Mac that has Lion preinstalled, who here has what OS on their system?

For me, Snow Leopard.

/

/

/

3 Lion 2 snow Leopard (prefer not to change anything on my wife or daughters machines - they get upset)
  • Reply 46 of 46
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ggf View Post

3 Lion 2 snow Leopard (prefer not to change anything on my wife or daughters machines - they get upset)

Both my 2010 iMacs I did to Lion and my Mother In Laws 2006/2007 MacBook White (2.0 ghz/2gb ram), as well as my parents 07' iMac (2.4 ghz/4gb ram). They all run great. Snow Leopard is a thing of the past.

Mission Control- Meh

Dashboard- redundant

Reverse Scrolling- I gave me time to adjust and I actually prefer it

Mail- Much better

Security- Lightyears better

Some other small, but not life changing things.

But if you CAN run Lion and your job doesn't require you to use PPC software- JUMP to Lion and don't look back. iCloud rocks... it really does. Contacts, Calendars, iTunes sync- it is awesome.