Apple releases iTunes 10.5.1 with public launch of iTunes Match

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 109
    Is it safe to say that for tracks where iTunes currently does not find artwork for, they will not be matched with this service?
  • Reply 22 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by manny805 View Post


    Is it safe to say that for tracks where iTunes currently does not find artwork for, they will not be matched with this service?



    This is a question I have as well, because iTunes does a horrible job at finding cover art if you have even one iota of meta-data it doesn't recognize.



    If it does the same job matching to iCloud/Match as it does for cover art, it's a fail. If it does a better job than cover art matching, why don't they make cover art matching work???
  • Reply 23 of 109
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post


    No iTunes updates showing in the UK at the moment - I know the match service is US only at the moment, but is the iTunes update itself US only too?



    Probably. since it's a point update and the only thing new is iTunes match.
  • Reply 24 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post


    What does it do with Playlists (and can one stream by playlist)?



    Playlists are synced via Match, sounds like all playlists show up on all devices.
  • Reply 25 of 109
    Has anyone tested out how iCloud and match interact with AppleTV yet. I'm hoping that I can stream from the cloud without having one of my laptops open.
  • Reply 26 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KazKam View Post


    This is a question I have as well, because iTunes does a horrible job at finding cover art if you have even one iota of meta-data it doesn't recognize.



    If it does the same job matching to iCloud/Match as it does for cover art, it's a fail. If it does a better job than cover art matching, why don't they make cover art matching work???



    Why is it a 'fail'? It still uploads your music and allows you to access it. Aside from the initial upload of music (who cares?leave the computer on unattended if you like) that's no big deal. As for its ability to match album artwork (and perhaps your music) this will probably depend on the music metadata. If you want content to match the iTunes store (for example, to get album artwork) you can adjust the relevant metadata to better match the iTunes store (e.g. album names). Most people have some pretty sloppy music libraries so there are going to be plenty of mismatches in this regard. I have pretty good luck matching the iTunes store as long as my metadata is in order (though there are occasional 'huh?' moments).



    And it is entirely possible that they've improved matching abilities or performed some other upgrades (I read about one person who has found more of their music being matched through various stages of the beta) so that could be nice too.
  • Reply 27 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post


    I'm hoping that I can stream from the cloud without having one of my laptops open.



    That's exactly what it does.
  • Reply 28 of 109
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tokolosh View Post


    Has anyone tested out how iCloud and match interact with AppleTV yet. I'm hoping that I can stream from the cloud without having one of my laptops open.



    Works great! Not only does iTunes not have to be open, but your computer doesn't even have to be on.



    And this works across all of your devices: Apple TV, ipad, iPhone, and iPod Touch.
  • Reply 29 of 109
    Question: after you have turned on iTunes Match and matched your music in your library the first time, does music that you add into iTunes automatically get matched or do you have to tell iTunes to match your music again?
  • Reply 30 of 109
    Not working correctly for me. Updated iTunes, subscribed and payed for Match, and now when its in the process of matching files, iTunes reports a problem and needs to close. On my third try now...
  • Reply 31 of 109
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,774member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by groovylounge View Post


    I had hoped that by the time it was released, iTunes Match would find a solution for libraries over 25,000. I have over 138,000 items in my library. When trying to sign up, you're simply told that your library is over 25,000 and you can't get iTunes Match. Very disappointing.



    Take some of your free content out of the Itunes folder and put it in a different folder and match that way.
  • Reply 32 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post


    Question: after you have turned on iTunes Match and matched your music in your library the first time, does music that you add into iTunes automatically get matched or do you have to tell iTunes to match your music again?



    Automatic, happens immediately.
  • Reply 33 of 109
    technotechno Posts: 735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    More people in the world than just USA.



    You might want to mention that this is a USA only situation at the moment. At least that would be the polite thing to do.



    On that note, what happens if you switch music stores between two countries (one being the USA)? I have purchased songs from both USA and Canada. Will my Canadian purchased content be included in the matching process? Or will I only be able to match one country at a time?



    I know that Apps purchased from one country will not update when I am using the other country's music store.
  • Reply 34 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hface119 View Post


    Not working correctly for me. Updated iTunes, subscribed and payed for Match, and now when its in the process of matching files, iTunes reports a problem and needs to close. On my third try now...



    Not much information to work with, but if a range of other people aren't experiencing this issue, I would suspect that you might have some kind of file in iTunes which is somehow causing a crash during the matching process. If that were the case it would probably be crashing at the same point each time. Any odd formats or junky music you can clear out?



    Worth mentioning again, though, that this early on it is just a shot in the dark.



    Edit: During the matching process it tells you which song out of x it is currently matching. If this corresponds to your overall library you might be able to figure out which song is causing a conflict—again, if it is quitting at a certain point, and again, if it is a song which is actually the problem—by reviewing your library around that point. This would only work if, say, the matching order is based on something like an alphabetical list. If it is instead iterating with some kind of song ID, or through another less obvious means, this might not help.
  • Reply 35 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post


    Why is it a 'fail'? It still uploads your music and allows you to access it. Aside from the initial upload of music (who cares?leave the computer on unattended if you like) that's no big deal. As for its ability to match album artwork (and perhaps your music) this will probably depend on the music metadata. If you want content to match the iTunes store (for example, to get album artwork) you can adjust the relevant metadata to better match the iTunes store (e.g. album names). Most people have some pretty sloppy music libraries so there are going to be plenty of mismatches in this regard. I have pretty good luck matching the iTunes store as long as my metadata is in order (though there are occasional 'huh?' moments).



    And it is entirely possible that they've improved matching abilities or performed some other upgrades (I read about one person who has found more of their music being matched through various stages of the beta) so that could be nice too.



    If iTunes Match does as good/bad of a job as it has in the past for cover art, it is a "fail", in my opinion, because it is extremely inefficienct.



    It is in Apple's, and the consumers' best interest to match as many titles as possible with this service because it means fewer personal versions of tracks being uploaded to the cloud. In many peoples' libraries, this equates to massive amounts of bandwidth (ours and Apple's) and storage (mainly Apple's). It seems pretty dumb, at least to me, on Apple's part to have thousands of copies of the same song replicated on their servers, thousands of times over, because it failed to see they are all really the same track.



    My question still remains... IF they have improved matching because of this service, will it make it's way to users of iTunes who do not subscribe to the Match service for the purposes of matching cover art?
  • Reply 36 of 109
    Thanks to all for the great information in this thread. Does anyone know if matched music will then show up as purchased content? I have some CD's that I imported have iTunes LP available on the iTunes store. Just wondering if this would allow me to take advantage of that.
  • Reply 37 of 109
    If I have multiple libraries, one at home and one at work on my laptop, can both of them add to iTunes Match?



    Or will you be locked into the first library you sync to?
  • Reply 38 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post


    On that note, what happens if you switch music stores between two countries (one being the USA)? I have purchased songs from both USA and Canada. Will my Canadian purchased content be included in the matching process? Or will I only be able to match one country at a time?



    I know that Apps purchased from one country will not update when I am using the other country's music store.



    You will have to pick one country or the other for content if you use iTunes match.



    Accessing content from a store not in your country is not technically legal and you need a second ID anyway. Apple has already said that it won't combine ID's so you will likely have to choose.



    This is the main reason why iTunes match and iTunes in the cloud is useless to me also. Most of my stuff is from multiple countries/continents etc. and won't be available in the store for matching.
  • Reply 39 of 109
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member
    Arstechnica is reporting that if you have more than 25000 songs in your library you are declared ineligible to signup. iTunes Match does not yet support accounts w/greater than 25,000 songs.



    http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...-not-apply.ars
  • Reply 40 of 109
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    What happens if you share an iTunes Store account with multiple family members? How would this work in relation to iTunes Match? Would each iTunes library get stored online? How do you manage this?
Sign In or Register to comment.