'BlackBerry London' photo claims to show RIM's first BBX OS phone

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 62
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post


    Looks great without looking like an iPhone clone.



    And that's the REAL news about this phone. RIM shows that it's possible to release a new phone without slavishly copying the iPhone. HP did it in tablets, as well. WebOS on my daughter's TouchPad doesn't go out of its way to imitate iOS, but does the job adequately.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post


    Hmm, where have I seen that music icon before???



    The Calendar icon looks familiar too.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    And that's the REAL news about this phone. RIM shows that it's possible to release a new phone without slavishly copying the iPhone. HP did it in tablets, as well. WebOS on my daughter's TouchPad doesn't go out of its way to imitate iOS, but does the job adequately.



    Like this Galaxy SII commercial's resemblance to an Apple ad.
  • Reply 44 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post






    Again, "in comparison to the other stuff they've done".



    Yeah, and poisoning his dog with cyanide was pretty nice, in comparison to the other stuff Hitler did.



    I will give credit when a smartphone maker doesn't just copy Jonny Ive's design and slap a Samsung logo on it. Even if the result looks like a portable alien danger scanner used by Gil Gerrad in Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    Render…



    … and yuck!
  • Reply 46 of 62
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Like this Galaxy SII commercial's resemblance to an Apple ad.



    They are clearly trying to blur the lines and so make the choice less critical. Clever marketing but shameful from an integrity / innovative standpoint. "I'll impersonate you to the point where no-one really knows if I am me or you, at which point it no longer matters and customers might as well buy me cuz I'm just like you"
  • Reply 47 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


    And that's the REAL news about this phone. RIM shows that it's possible to release a new phone without slavishly copying the iPhone. HP did it in tablets, as well. WebOS on my daughter's TouchPad doesn't go out of its way to imitate iOS, but does the job adequately.



    Let's give MS credit, too.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    They're Going to fail



    There is no way this phone will succeed



    Their design aesthetic is poor
  • Reply 49 of 62
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 14,222moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    PRETTY compared to what they've been doing.



    Sure but there are a few things to consider. Judging by the curves and reflections near the edge of the screen, the surrounds look like brushed metal style plastic, not machined metal and presumably this goes all up the back too. While it's described as being as big as a Samsung Galaxy, the screen isn't much bigger than an iPhone screen - the side bezel looks like it's double the size of the iPhone bezel. The slide-out keyboard looks like you'd hold the two silver parts and slide the screen up, which would explain the odd looking bezel.



    It's good to see them veering away from their old designs that they tried to work into every new product and the Playbook QNX OS should be a good benefit over the old OS but out of iPhone competitors, I'd put an Android-based Galaxy S2 above this. If you're going to get a giant phone, you may as well get one with a giant screen instead of one that keeps a small screen to accommodate a physical keyboard.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Boogerman2000 View Post


    They're Going to fail



    There is no way this phone will succeed



    Their design aesthetic is poor



    And it doesn't have a keyboard. Wasn't that supposed to be the reason iPhone would fail? Now look at RIM: trending the keyboardless design.
  • Reply 51 of 62
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post


    Sure but there are a few things to consider. Judging by the curves and reflections near the edge of the screen, the surrounds look like brushed metal style plastic, not machined metal and presumably this goes all up the back too. While it's described as being as big as a Samsung Galaxy, the screen isn't much bigger than an iPhone screen - the side bezel looks like it's double the size of the iPhone bezel. The slide-out keyboard looks like you'd hold the two silver parts and slide the screen up, which would explain the odd looking bezel.



    It's good to see them veering away from their old designs that they tried to work into every new product and the Playbook QNX OS should be a good benefit over the old OS but out of iPhone competitors, I'd put an Android-based Galaxy S2 above this. If you're going to get a giant phone, you may as well get one with a giant screen instead of one that keeps a small screen to accommodate a physical keyboard.



    Agreed. And the rumoured internals are somewhat odd, too. They are fine for this device coming out soon, but for next Summer they seem woefully out of date.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    What's the point? They didn't nurture their developers when it would have made a difference, and now they don't have the apps. Why choose a smartphone that has a few crappy apps behind it when you can get a smartphone with half a million apps to choose from?
  • Reply 53 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post


    Those controls have been on physical devices LONG before they transitioned to virtual controls on mobile devices. Don't fault them for going with a widely accepted and logical control set.



    Not the control icons, look at the actual music icon below. It's the old iTunes icon.



    Let them have it though, always thought that icon was uuuuugly.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post


    Like this Galaxy SII commercial's resemblance to an Apple ad.



    What always cracks me up about the Android commercials is how often they just show the same function over & over but in different ways so it seems like the people are doing a lot of DIFFERENT things on it. Note that this commercial makes it appear as though the Galaxy SII can do a hundred different things but take away the glamor & it's just a video player; not once do you see it doing anything else. I got an old iPod Classic that can do that.
  • Reply 55 of 62
    reminds me of a zune with funky top and bottom.

    so hope blackberry goes away soon....tired of supporting them and the crap BES.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    June 2012...late yet again. It'll be interesting to see what features this BB will have to compete against iPhone 5 and the load of Android and WP7 phones that will be out.
  • Reply 57 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Can't wait for Top Gear UK to start back up.



    I feel your pain. Are you able to get BBC 3 in The States? I know iPlayer is UK only, but here in The Netherlands we get BBC 3 & 4 over 'digital TV over coax cable' tripling the number of channels (for something like ? 4 /m extra)



    Next on TV:

    BBC Three 19:00 17 Nov 2011



    bbc.co.uk



    PS: your suggestion for RIM to change their brandname - totally agree.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post


    Hmm, where have I seen that music icon before???



    That Music Player icon indicates it will play CD's?
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Nike finally sold the Back to the Future 2 shoes?






    Maybe RIM uses that Music Player icon to justify a combined sale for these shoes:







    Whatever. Apparently is being launch Q3. No, not 2012, this fall.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post


    What always cracks me up about the Android commercials is how often they just show the same function over & over but in different ways so it seems like the people are doing a lot of DIFFERENT things on it. Note that this commercial makes it appear as though the Galaxy SII can do a hundred different things but take away the glamor & it's just a video player; not once do you see it doing anything else. I got an old iPod Classic that can do that.



    There's never been an Android commercial ¯\\(ツ)/¯
Sign In or Register to comment.