Safari-based iOS shortcuts offer quick access to Bluetooth, Airplane Mode, more

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Power saving by turning on/off Bluetooth without going 3 menus deep in Settings app? Quick turning off wifi when the WLAN is blocking content or when it's super slow vs 3G?

It's not that quick unless you want to make room on your first screen of apps, which as of now I don't want to do. I installed them and then deleted all but bluetooth, airplane and one other I can't recall right now.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Exactly why I like to turn WiFi on and off. When I get to my office, our company WiFi blocks access to parts of the Internet (and requires me to sign on to VPN to access anything), so I like to switch over to 3G.

Wouldn't an easier solution be to tell the iPhone to forget that specific network, so you can leave Wi-Fi on without connecting to that network?
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Euphonious View Post

Wouldn't an easier solution be to tell the iPhone to forget that specific network, so you can leave Wi-Fi on without connecting to that network?

It would, yeah - but sometimes I do want to connect to the network, and as the SID is not broadcast, it'd be a pain to set up on-the-fly.

This is a nice solution that doesn't require jailbreaking, but I still miss the slide-to-SBSettings feature I used to have...
  • Reply 24 of 37
    What would be ideal (both very SBSettings like and Apple like at the same time) would be to have a settings widget, much like the Weather and Stock widgets, available in notification center.

Edit: Would also like to say thanks to iPhoneZA though for their work on the IconSettings.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    Firstly, thanks for this! Works great and the icons are better than Icon Project!!

Each time you use a setting, it leaves a page open in Safari.

Is this a bug? Can it be rectified?

Thanks in advance

Quote:
    Originally Posted by i-PhoneZA View Post

Hi! Firstly you are welcome

Thank you for the constructive criticism It is always appreciated.

We unfortunately are not Graphics designers ourselve (as you can see), and we are trying to locate a graphics designer who would be willing to make us some icons.

If you (or anyone else) does come accross someone who is willing to contribute icons and have their name credited on the site, please do send them our way!

We wanted to be careful too in using icons that Apple would create a fuss about, otherwise we could have used their nice stock/pro icons or Mac icons for example

Thanks again and stay tuned because we will update this and add more features such as .mobileconfigs.

• Reply 26 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JasonG69 View Post

Each time you use a setting, it leaves a page open in Safari.

Is this a bug? Can it be rectified?

Try the full package instead of downloading them individually under the 'manual' section of the page. Those versions will open a new page (so if you've already got eight open, you'll lose the oldest one), but the page will then close so you won't have an orphaned page.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    There's another site that does something similar. IMHO the icons look a lot better. There aren't as many to choose from, but it has the ones I need.

http://iosshortcuts.appspot.com/
  • Reply 28 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mariofreak85 View Post

There's another site that does something similar. IMHO the icons look a lot better. There aren't as many to choose from, but it has the ones I need.

http://iosshortcuts.appspot.com/

This one leaves a Safari page behind as well..
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Try the full package instead of downloading them individually under the 'manual' section of the page. Those versions will open a new page (so if you've already got eight open, you'll lose the oldest one), but the page will then close so you won't have an orphaned page.

Ok thanks, I'll give that a try later..
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:

Sorry, should have read it properly in the first place! I'm a bit wary of installing the pack, what does it actually do to install the icons? Why does it need your lock passcode? How do you then uninstall if you wanted it?

This is why I chose the manual method originally, so I had more control over what was going on..
  • Reply 31 of 37
    IconProject from the App Store cost 99¢ and does just this. What's great is that it has built-in pictures, fonts, and various icon customization tool to make your own icons. I really love this because now I no longer have a reason to JB my iPhone. I just hope Apple doesn't patch this up.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:

Sorry, should have read it properly in the first place! I'm a bit wary of installing the pack, what does it actually do to install the icons? Why does it need your lock passcode? How do you then uninstall if you wanted it?

This is why I chose the manual method originally, so I had more control over what was going on..

It's nothing to worry about, trust me! The mobileconfig is not an app, it just installs the Webclip icons for you.

To remove simply use the Profiles toggle or go to Settings > General > Profiles and then select the profile and hit remove

This method doesn't leave blank Safari pages open
  • Reply 33 of 37
    I don't know enough to know whether installation of the shortcuts is safe (but, what the hell, I installed them). I did notice a glitch that Apple should fix. Normally, I limit the right to change iCloud settings with the "General/Restrictions" control. However, by using the shortcut, I can jump right into the iClould settings despite setting the toggle to "no changes". Which means "find my phone" and similar controls can be accessed even without the restrictions password.

So now I have deleted the shortcut (of course, a thief could simply do any number of things, including using the shortcut).
  • Reply 34 of 37
    If you want one that just has Bluetooth and Wifi Settings shortcuts, here ya go:

http://www.typespot.com/bluetoothwifi.mobileconfig

This is based on the improved iphoneZA.co.za one.

--JV
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I don't see any usability advantage.

that is the one "switch" that should be on the homescreen or some physical button...

so i think it has lots of use...
  • Reply 36 of 37
    Yes, yes, yes..taking advantage of this while it's available. I have multiple Bluetooth connections, want to turn WIFI off at work only sometimes, I want to quickly turn down the brightness sometimes..this very much comes in handy.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    Quote:

This one leaves a Safari page behind as well..

http://quickprefs.com does not leave a safari page behind