Apple's restrictive pre-installed software policy halts NTT DoCoMo iPhone deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starbird View Post

How so? Verizon has none of those bloat ware preinstalled.

I believe he means on Verizon phones in general. Obviously not the iPhone, which dampens the effectiveness of his comment somewhat.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    When you can't compete, you copy. When you can't copy, you lie, When you can't lie, you monopolize! It basic telco business 101.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Gee I wonder where the regular trolls are saying how Apple's closed system and Android's open system is better for customers?

The world of cellphone users are better for Apple's entry into this market. NTT DoCoMo will not win here.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I believe he means on Verizon phones in general. Obviously not the iPhone, which dampens the effectiveness of his comment somewhat.

I'm glad you know what I meant.

I was referring to Verizon's initial rejection of the iPhone due to revenue and control of the relationship...

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...n-iphone_x.htm

...only to come around later.

I'm not aware that anyone ever explicitly admitted to crapware being an issue, but that was widely rumored to be a sticking-point, too.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Deewin View Post

really glad that Apple doesn't allow preinstalled software from cell providers. None of this bloatware (remember VCAST?) no stupid cell phone logo startup screen and no silly ringtone each ringtone provider has.

• Reply 25 of 42
    One of the best things about iPhone -- no carrier-ware.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    It's pretty obvious that DoCoMo is just a front for the Judoon.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Assist them in making the apps they want pre-installed, but only allow it as a download on the app store post purchase. Deal done.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    I wholeheartedly agree, Apple should waive the $99 iOS Developer Program fee for NTT DoCoMo.

• Reply 29 of 42
    No livin' way...

...You don't tell Apple to do anything!
  • Reply 30 of 42
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Not on the iPhone, but check out the other offerings, such as Android. Do an Internet Search. Verizon is very big on installing crap ware. Not installing crap ware is something Apple has carried over from Macs.

Quote:

• Reply 31 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Gee I wonder where the regular trolls are saying how Apple's closed system and Android's open system is better for customers?

The world of cellphone users are better for Apple's entry into this market. NTT DoCoMo will not win here.

*snort*

The irony is when a carrier like DoCoMo says "open" they mean they want the smartphone manufacturer to open their smartphones to the carrier's preloaded shovelware, branding, and carrier-locking of frequencies and/or SIM chips. Trust me, what the carriers typically end up selling you is anything BUT "open" and what you end up getting is locked to their network.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BigBillyGoatGruff View Post

Sounds like they are taking advice from Verizon...

Verizon: Let's talk about selling iPhones.

Apple: Ok.

Verizon: We want to load V-Cast on every one we sell.

Apple: No.

Verizon: Can you at least put our logo on the back?

Verizon: Ok, how about a peel off sticker with a Verizon logo?

Verizon: Can we load the Verizon store on there?

Verizon: Will you at least put Java on it so we can--

Verizon: How about showing the Verizon logo when it boots?

Verizon: Can we put a Verizon wallpaper on the lock screen?

Verizon: Can we we require customers to have to call Verizon to activate it?

Apple: iTunes option doesn't come off the table.

Verizon: Ok, we have a deal.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    No, that's not how it went. The conversation was much shorter.

Verizon (nervously): We have some contingencies to discuss with you.

Apple (blandly): Here's our standard contract. All our other partners signed it. If you don't like it, our Gulfstream V already has landing rights in Kansas City. We can text Dan; he'll probably send out a car to drive us to Overland Park.

Verizon (eagerly): Where do we sign?
  • Reply 34 of 42
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

*snort*

The irony is when a carrier like DoCoMo says "open" they mean they want the smartphone manufacturer to open their smartphones to the carrier's preloaded shovelware, branding, and carrier-locking of frequencies and/or SIM chips. Trust me, what the carriers typically end up selling you is anything BUT "open" and what you end up getting is locked to their network.

Google talks up a good game about openness but there customers are the handset/tablet vendors and carriers, not the end users, so you end up with a closed and lock system that typically has more crapware than anything that predated Android entering the market.

Sure, you can always root your device and find some clean version of the firmware built by some coder that goes by the dubious name that included some cute play on words and a pejorative remark against Apple or Obama, but 1) can you be sure there is no spyware included in that build, 2) is this really the kind of thing these users expect the average consumer to deal with. Bottom line is you don't win mindshare by fucking your customer base with crappy pre-installed software which is why those $400 PCs you see in Office Depot are not being used for 3, 4 or 5 years like Macs.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

No, that's not how it went. The conversation was much shorter.

Verizon (nervously): We have some contingencies to discuss with you.

Apple (blandly): Here's our standard contract. All our other partners signed it. If you don't like it, our Gulfstream V already has landing rights in Kansas City. We can text Dan; he'll probably send out a car to drive us to Overland Park.

Verizon (eagerly): Where do we sign?

This is how the second conversation went. When the iPhone first came out the conversation with Verizon was much more like what Simply Newton said, except that in the end neither Apple or Verizon budged. After seeing the amazing success of the iPhone on AT&T, then your conversation is correct.
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Apple doesn't allow preloaded crap-ware that can't be deleted/hidden on their phones...unless Apple wants it there.

I have no use for Newstand, nor do I want it on its own page or to force it into a folder that corrupts it. I just want the option to get it off my phone. Thanks for not letting me do what I want with an app ON MY OWN PHONE Apple.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Google talks up a good game about openness but there customers are the handset/tablet vendors and carriers, not the end users, so you end up with a closed and lock system that typically has more crapware than anything that predated Android entering the market.

Sure, you can always root your device and find some clean version of the firmware built by some coder that goes by the dubious name that included some cute play on words and a pejorative remark against Apple or Obama, but 1) can you be sure there is no spyware included in that build, 2) is this really the kind of thing these users expect the average consumer to deal with. Bottom line is you don't win mindshare by fucking your customer base with crappy pre-installed software which is why those $400 PCs you see in Office Depot are not being used for 3, 4 or 5 years like Macs.

You only got it partly right, once the phone is rooted bloatware can simply be uninstalled.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by airnerd View Post

Thanks for not letting me do what I want with an app ON MY OWN PHONE Apple.

"I want to put Windows Phone 7 on my iPhone because it's MY IPHONE; I can do with it what I want."

You can easily not update to iOS 5. That's doing what you want with it. I know people still on 1.1.3. 'Course, that's just because they're morons who don't know they can update.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"I want to put Windows Phone 7 on my iPhone because it's MY IPHONE; I can do with it what I want."

You can easily not update to iOS 5. That's doing what you want with it. I know people still on 1.1.3. 'Course, that's just because they're morons who don't know they can update.

I am not wanting to add anything. I should be able to take a program that isn't being used off my phone, or at least hide it in a folder. I'm not asking to delete iTunes or anything like that, but a stupid app that takes up space. Yeah, I can hide it on the last page or trick it into a folder, but that doesn't sound safe. All I want is all apps to be hideable. Even give me a setting that I can turn it on or off, at least.

And no, I can't "easily not update to iOS 5". There was no option when buying the 4S, and it would be dumb to have a 4S and not iOS 5.
  • Reply 40 of 42
    They will give in. Just a matter of time.