Royal Caribbean's Splendour of the Seas will feature an iPad in every cabin

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    The adoption of iOS devices in the marine electronics industry is really interesting. I've been in the satellite industry for 10 years, and maritime is our bread and butter, particularly for data usage. But adoption of new technology in maritime is notoriously slow. There are still guys receiving faxes over satellite to get their weather, even though there are many better ways to do it. Over the past year, there has been a rapid change in the way that the marine IT folks are thinking about data, and iOS seems to be at the forefront (with VoIP and faster Inmarsat and VSAT services not far behind.) Consider:

- Hardly a day goes by that there isn't some new ocean weather or marine navigation program for the iPad. Ben Ellison over at panbo.com covers this extensively.

- Iridium Satellite just launched their iOS app for their AxcessPoint Mail and Web that gives email and web browsing that's optimized for their narrowband (2400 baud) satellite data service. http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/23/i...betrotting-id/

Even XGate, the granddaddy of satellite email and web browsing software for maritime recently announced their iOS app. http://www.globalmarinenet.com/blog/...-mail-and-web/

There's no mention of the Royal Caribbean folks allowing passengers to access the satellite data but there's no reason that they couldn't sell prepaid vouchers to give users access to it.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Multi-hardcore architectures.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Solipsism X has background rendering, magnetic story lines, extensive metadata and is wicked fast...

...though, it has trouble dealing with established procedures and protocols.

Sweet...so SolipsismX is a hardcore rebel then.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

An iPad is probably one of the easiest things to disinfect compared to the rest of the ship. I have a mild fear of flying, but cruise ships? Forget-about-it!

I see your point and surely when you put that many people from around the world into a small area your chances rise.

They have taken plenty of new precautions over the years with anti-biotic gel everywhere. I've even been on ships where you can't enter the buffet area area without someone squirting it your hands. Personally I stay away from all buffets as a general rule but 24-hour free room service and dining halls with waitered service about 14 hours a day are more than enough to curb my fears.

Quote:

Perhaps they have extra devices available in case you want to order another one so each passenger can have their own.

I'd expect them to. WiFi is a standard throughout the ship so being in your room and paying 40¢ a minute for internet on the iPad is pretty good way for them to make money.
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by King of Beige View Post

Truly an iPad in every cabin. I love it!

Or

• Reply 25 of 53
    A duty free Apple Store? Sign me up!!!
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

Based on this, Apple trolls will therefore argue that iPad is just an entertainment device ...

Actually, you will be able to schedule and buy things with it...
  • Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Too bad they aren't focusing on cheaper internet rates.

Still, I'd think that many would get damaged or even swiped if you use them on the ship so they might have an engraved serial number on them and possibly not be 'in' the room, but something you put a deposit on and/or pick up at the front desk in the atrium lobby. I'll bring my own and certainly don't want to be responsible for the ship's $500 device.

Ahhh..... Great developer opportunity for a new app: Find My Cruise Ship!
  • Reply 28 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

They have taken plenty of new precautions over the years with anti-biotic gel everywhere. I've even been on ships where you can't enter the buffet area area without someone squirting it your hands. Personally I stay away from all buffets as a general rule but 24-hour free room service and dining halls with waitered service about 14 hours a day are more than enough to curb my fears.

It is not the potential for illness, although that is a bummer when on vacation. I just don't like the tiny cabins, seasickness, engine fires, stranded out to sea without electric power, crowded on deck for life boat drills, wild rambunctious teenagers running about. I'm more like a wilderness adventure or 5 star hotel in San Francisco type of guy.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Soon everybody will already own their own iPad, so no need to offer one in every cabin on a cruise ship.

In related news, I read that county jails are going to offer an Android tablet in every cell. Inmates at several jails have already started rioting in locations all across the country and at least 17 deaths have already been confirmed so far.

One inmate, who goes by the name of Bubba was quoted as saying "No way in hell am I ever going to touch an Android tablet. I may be a pedophile and a rapist and a murderer, but even I deserve better than to use an Android tablet, with it's jerky and un-smooth operation. Inmates have human rights too and we will not stand for this. We'd rather be waterboarded."

Stay tuned for further developing details on this breaking story.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

It is not the potential for illness, although that is a bummer when on vacation. I just don't like the tiny cabins, seasickness, engine fires, stranded out to sea without electric power, crowded on deck for life boat drills, wild rambunctious teenagers running about. I'm more like a wilderness adventure or 5 star hotel in San Francisco type of guy.

I like the small cabins. It feels snug. And cruise ships are the last transportation that is the entertainment (at least in the States). Planes and trains used to be an experience where you at least get dressed up but now I'm more likely to sit next to someone on a plane that is dressed for the Lido deck of cruise ship. There are even year round cruises that circumnavigate the globe that I'd love to go on if I could just break away from this blasted internet for more than 24 hours. I tried to sign up for an Internet addiction support group but I could find any that were online.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    Quote:

I tried to sign up for an Internet addiction support group but I could find any that were online.

Hey that's a good idea. You install the app and it cuts your connection speed gradually to a crawl and the last page offers outdoor activities in your area, just before it freezes up.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    Quote:

Hey that's a good idea. You install the app and it cuts your connection speed gradually to a crawl and the last page offers outdoor activities in your area, just before it freezes up.

There's Dick's app. A way to made limit your online experience by making it increasingly more annoying to stay online. Tie that into one of those wrist bands that monitor your exercise levels and you can earn "leisure time."
  • Reply 33 of 53
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

It is not the potential for illness, although that is a bummer when on vacation. I just don't like the tiny cabins

Granted, the cabins can be small, but they can still be comfortable.

Quote:

...seasickness,

Almost unheard of aboard today's modern cruise ships (unless you're one of the unlucky ones who is prone to significant motion sickness problems).

Quote:

...engine fires,

When you consider how man cruise ships set sail each and every week, this is a rare occurrence.

Quote:

...stranded out to sea without electric power,

See previous comment.

Quote:

...crowded on deck for life boat drills,

Oh come now, the whole muster station thing takes 10-20 minutes out of your whole vacation. It is for your safety after all, just so you know where your lifeboat is in the unlikely event that you actually need one.

Quote:

...wild rambunctious teenagers running about.

Maybe you need to stop cruising aboard Carnival.

Quote:

...I'm more like a wilderness adventure or 5 star hotel in San Francisco type of guy.

Well, there's no arguing with that. I will say, the 7 days I spent aboard the Celebrity Eclipse back in February was hands-down the best cruise I've yet taken. No problems to speak of and just a relaxing, highly enjoyable vacation.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    I heard they're going to outfit the rescue boats with Kindle Fires.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Quote:

Three best/ most interesting places we've ever stayed:

Mauna Kea Beach Hotel

El Tovar

Taos Inn

Different reasons... but, El Tovar sits about 50 yds. from the edge of the Grand Canyon. You can take a train up there from Williams, AZ -- that arrives about midnight.

If it is a moonless night, and you're new to the area... When you wake up in the morning -- indescribable!
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Heh, I went on a cruise on that very ship in 2003. They didn't have a climbing wall then. Having been there, they'll probably charge you $5 just to look at it. The food and much of the entertainment was essentially free with the cruise, but oh man, they won't hesitate to nickel and dime you on a whole bunch of things.

And considering the massive amount of octogenarians on these boats, most will probably sit unused as them newfangled tablet thingies are just too confusing.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    Quote:

I like the small cabins. It feels snug. And cruise ships are the last transportation that is the entertainment (at least in the States). Planes and trains used to be an experience where you at least get dressed up but now I'm more likely to sit next to someone on a plane that is dressed for the Lido deck of cruise ship. There are even year round cruises that circumvent the globe that I'd love to go on if I could just break away from this blasted internet for more than 24 hours. I tried to sign up for an Internet addiction support group but I could find any that were online.

I think you meant circumnavigate...

We were on a Rhine Cruise (mostly eating)...

I remember waking up one morning, looking out the porthole -- and seeing a stone wall about a foot away... That's all you could see -- moss covered stones... no water, no sky, no nuthin' but stones...

We were in a lock and the ship was built especially to the maximum size that could traverse the lock.

That was too snug!
  • Reply 38 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I heard they're going to outfit the rescue boats with Kindle Fires.

They really should avoid having Fires onboard.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think you meant circumnavigate...

We were on a Rhine Cruise (mostly eating)...

I remember waking up one morning, looking out the porthole -- and seeing a stone wall about a foot away... That's all you could see -- moss covered stones... no water, no sky, no nuthin' but stones...

We were in a lock and the ship was built especially to the maximum size that could traverse the lock.

That was too snug!

I do mean circumnavigate. Damn auto-correct.

I like the rooms with no windows and no balconies on cruise ships. The sun comes up way too early over the horizon in the Caribbean. I much prefer being able to have a dark room any time of the day. If I need some fresh air I'll hit the deck fo some socialization, Calypso music and some over-priced tropical beverage.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member
    Quote:

There's Dick's app. A way to made limit your online experience by making it increasingly more annoying to stay online. Tie that into one of those wrist bands that monitor your exercise levels and you can earn "leisure time."

Isn't that called Android?