Apple seen selling iPad 3 HD, iPad 2S and iPad 2 in 2012

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post


    Oh man! Indium, gallium and zinc? Those are pretty rare materials that China is stock piling and controlling their exports and imports. Hope no one wants to make iPads in Brazil because China will charge crazy tax on those.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jj.yuan View Post


    No. These 3 elements aren't rare earth elements. See this page for rare earth elements --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rare_earth_element



    He was talking about rare materials, not rare earth elements.



    I'm sure he, like most people, realizes most rare earth metals are in fact not that rare.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I can see an iPad 3 and iPad 2S being released at the same time since there are still plenty of unanswered questions about the 264ppi Retina Display for the iPad regarding production rate, component cost, GPU performance and battery usage that are still unanswered.



    Just hold on a minute!



    If there is an iPad 2S then there won't be an iPad 3... it'll be an iPad 4.
  • Reply 43 of 67
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    He was talking about rare materials, not rare earth elements.



    I'm sure he, like most people, realizes most rare earth metals are in fact not that rare.





    I think they are just as rare as they always were in that ppm is still very small even in regions where they occur. China is just bulldozing greater and greater areas of land to acquire them so even though they are still rare they are not as scarce, if that makes any sense. The ecological damage resulting from the mining of those materials is huge which is the main reason the US no longer mines them. The original poster is correct that there are some concerns about China being unwilling to sell them to competing countries such as Japan.
  • Reply 44 of 67
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member
    Yup, it?s all guess work. But this is Apple and it?s interesting and what other company out there is interesting enough to bother spending time guessing about. Unless it?s the decay and death of a certain unSung brat.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    Just hold on a minute!



    If there is an iPad 2S then there won't be an iPad 3... it'll be an iPad 4.



    they did it with the iPhone. iPhone 3G should have been iPhone 2, but I see your logic. The next iPhone should be iPhone 6, but Apple will probably just drop the suffix altogether at that point.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Oh, I have it!



    The "faster iPad 2S" is really the 7" iPad and the "even faster than the faster iPad 2S iPad 3" is the new 10" model!







    Oh, dear. That's bigger than I thought it would be. But it fits the bill, I guess.



  • Reply 47 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    they did it with the iPhone. iPhone 3G should have been iPhone 2, but I see your logic. The next iPhone should be iPhone 6, but Apple will probably just drop the suffix altogether at that point.



    My comment was said jestingly to Solipsism, one of our resident champions of naming the next phone the iPhone 6.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thx607 View Post


    I hate these reports, they never pan out and half of the time are truly asinine. iPad 3 will be out in March and the iPad 2 will move to clearance.



    IOS and by extension iPad has been a huge success for Apple. They will want to keep that gravy train running. They will do that by attracting a wider array of users, users with different needs and economic interests. Having an iPad2S or similar along with an iPad 3 on offer gives consumers choice and frankly that means more customers.



    The other thing I expect is that because of IOS success we will see more devices using it. What exactly these devices are is an open question but there can be little doubt that IOS is a cash cow for Apple. To keep that cow healthy they will need to feed the pipe with new products on a regular schedule.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Leaks from IOS 5.1 that is.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    [...] He sees Apple continuing to sell the current 16GB version of the iPad 2 at a lower price [...]



    10 senior Samsung executives soiled their trousers and ran off screaming when they read that...
  • Reply 51 of 67
    conradjoeconradjoe Posts: 1,887member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post


    SJ had said on many occasions that a 4"-7" iDevice was pointles



    I think it was once.



    I think he mentioned 7 inch devices.



    He said that they would all be DOA.



    Like the Kindle Fire. DOA.
  • Reply 52 of 67
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,114member
    Yeah, how did that whole thing about Apple selling the iPhone 5, 4S, and 4 all at once go? Right.



    Apple will do what they always do, focus on one product. Really, we shouldn't reward this click-fodder.
  • Reply 53 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


    My comment was said jestingly to Solipsism, one of our resident champions of naming the next phone the iPhone 6.



    I don't necessarily think it will be called iPhone 6, just using the cardinal number to represent the generation the iPhone will be in as we've done for the iPhone and iPad for years. I actually think if it has LTE it is more likely to be called the iPhone 4G, even if it changes the case design, the same way the iPhone went to iPhone 3G in it's 2nd generation.
  • Reply 54 of 67
    I could see them selling a new iPad 3 (Retina Display, A6 processor, something else?) at the current price points (starting at $499). This would push the envelope on tech and allow them to leave competitors a year or two behind.



    Simultaneously, they could keep selling the iPad 2 (1024x768, A5) with say, $100 knocked off to $399. This would help stave off some of the pressure created by low-end tablets (e.g. Kindle Fire). Surely the manufacturing costs of the iPad 2 are coming down by now.
  • Reply 55 of 67
    QUOTE=nht;1997399]I could see a very high end price for the ipad 3 to make sure quantities were reasonable.



    I dunno how I feel about that. Probably jealousy as I'd have to go for the 2S.



    What I really want is a 4-5" iPod Touch for the kids that cost $200.[/QUOTE]





    Ditto
  • Reply 56 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I don't necessarily think it will be called iPhone 6, just using the cardinal number to represent the generation the iPhone will be in as we've done for the iPhone and iPad for years. I actually think if it has LTE it is more likely to be called the iPhone 4G, even if it changes the case design, the same way the iPhone went to iPhone 3G in it's 2nd generation.



    "iPhone 4G" makes technical sense and would be in line with the iPhone 3G's naming. But I think it's a bit too much alphabet soup to explain to a customer the difference between an iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and iPhone 4G.



    As arbitrary as "iPhone 5" may be - it's not the fifth-generation, nor does it have "5G" radio - it's crystal clear to consumers that it's the next-generation up from the "4" family. Though, I imagine by the time it gets to "6", they may drop the number convention entirely.
  • Reply 57 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I actually think if it has LTE it is more likely to be called the iPhone 4G, even if it changes the case design, the same way the iPhone went to iPhone 3G in it's 2nd generation.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post


    "iPhone 4G" makes technical sense and would be in line with the iPhone 3G's naming.



    While I disagree with the name, it would be just like Apple to tell Sprint to sit and spin on it by naming a device after something they don't offer.



    Customer: Oh, you have the new iPhone 4G!

    Sprint guy: That's right.

    Customer: So I can get 4G speeds with it! This is great!

    Sprint guy: Uh, no.

    Customer: What?

    Sprint guy: No, we don't offer 4G speeds on the iPhone 4G.

    Customer: ?

    Sprint guy: ??

    Customer: Enjoy your class-action lawsuit.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    With everything now in the cloud (iCloud), there's less necessity for GB of storage. So trying to upsell to 32GB or 128 GB becomes a harder sell.



    So how does Apple upsell? And at the same time cover the cheap competitors?



    Do the same thing with the iPad as the iPhone: offer several generations of models at different prices. Like the article says.



    Maybe it won't be 3 lines (and 2 new products: the 2S and the 3), but rather the existing line and one new line (3 or 2S).



    iPad 2, 8 GB: $299

    iPad 2, 32 GB: $499

    iPad 3, 32 GB: $599

    iPad 3, 64 GB: $699 (or maybe with 3G or 4G?)



    The exact numbers aren't what I'm trying to predict. Rather, like the iPhones, Apple might sell several generations of iPads.



    C'mon, people, it's not that big of a stretch, even if you don't agree with the article's exact details.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thx607 View Post


    I hate these reports, they never pan out and half of the time are truly asinine. iPad 3 will be out in March and the iPad 2 will move to clearance.



    These rumors ruin this site. They stir up confusion over time. Repeated, they foster expectations that apple rarely fulfills. And why should apple?
  • Reply 60 of 67
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin View Post


    With everything now in the cloud (iCloud), there's less necessity for GB of storage. So trying to upsell to 32GB or 128 GB becomes a harder sell.



    Yeah, because 16+5 GB? that you can't download because you have a 2GB cap? is better than 64GB that you always have with you.



    Quote:

    iPad 2, 8 GB: $299



    Insanity. Eight gigabytes on an iPad? Try



    iPad 2, 16GB: $399.

    iPad 3, 16GB: $499.

    iPad 3, 32GB: $599.

    iPad 3, 64GB: $699.



    Quote:

    Rather, like the iPhones, Apple might sell several generations of iPads.



    Absolutely. I'm in complete agreement.



    Quote:

    even if you don't agree with the article's exact details.



    The difference being that the article's details are complete hooey.
Sign In or Register to comment.